Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

The TTC is really starting to annoy me with this Queens Quay closure. Originally, it was a 2 day project. They put up new notices after the two days extending it through the week, then another notice. It is open today and tomorrow, but closing again all of next week.

A bus running along Bremner to the Union entrance at York would have been useful for all of the people at CityPlace, instead of having to hop on a streetcar for one stop, transfer onto a crowded bus, and take a long ride to Union via busy downtown streets.

So you want the TTC to run buses down Bremner and down QQ during this construction? The walk from City Place to QQ/Spadina to the bus stop is less than 5 mins (I actually just came in from doing the exact walk after grabbing some groceries). People in City Place will survive.

So you want the TTC to run buses down Bremner and down QQ during this construction? The walk from City Place to QQ/Spadina to the bus stop is less than 5 mins (I actually just came in from doing the exact walk after grabbing some groceries). People in City Place will survive.

I can tell you now, TTC will receive complaints from the elderly, people with small children, people who cannot walk long distance, that they want a bus during the construction.

It has been stated from day one, TTC will run buses from Union to the Spadina loop during construction. That before Ford took over and that can change now.

My point though was that if they don't want to take one stop and then transfer, they have the option of walking. If you're going to give these people their own bus for express service to Union, what about the people who use the stop at Spadina/Front who now have to go one stop south to get to the express bus? and so on? Maybe just subsidize some taxis to do the route? The fact is, you're talking about a 350metre walk from the Bremner stop to the QQ stop. That's only slightly longer than the distance from Gate 10 to Gate 6 of the Skydome. If you can't manage that, then don't complain that you have to take a streetcar one stop down.

And I think you maybe need to spend some time in around City Place. The number of elderly, small children and people who have trouble walking is probably the lowest per capita in the downtown core.

My point though was that if they don't want to take one stop and then transfer, they have the option of walking. If you're going to give these people their own bus for express service to Union, what about the people who use the stop at Spadina/Front who now have to go one stop south to get to the express bus? and so on? Maybe just subsidize some taxis to do the route? The fact is, you're talking about a 350metre walk from the Bremner stop to the QQ stop. That's only slightly longer than the distance from Gate 10 to Gate 6 of the Skydome. If you can't manage that, then don't complain that you have to take a streetcar one stop down.

And I think you maybe need to spend some time in around City Place. The number of elderly, small children and people who have trouble walking is probably the lowest per capita in the downtown core.

First of all, I spent 5 years behind the scene working with Waterfront Toronto and the community on QQ in developing the various transit lines plan for the waterfront as well development.

I have first hand knowledge of the complaints that I have heard over those 5 years not only from the local residents, but BIA, local ratepayer groups, out of Toronto visitors and Toronto locals as to access to the waterfront. These were raised both at public and behind the scene meetings.

As for City Place, I have spoken to the developers for City Place years ago about transit for the area and transit on Bremmer. I was told my them that there was no need for a transit line on Bremmer since the residents were with a 5 minute walk to either the 509, 510 or 511. At the same time, people will walk over to the walkway to go downtown in the first place.

I have never supported a line on Bremmer from day one when talk of one arose for it. If there is to be a line down there, it should be one on Front St since there was one up to 1949.

TTC wants to bring a 514 Bathurst Car off Bathurst St to Union Station as well a 519 from Long Branch using the Western Waterfront Line along Bremmer and go under the Air Canada Centre. There is a tunnel in place for this line there now. That interlining under ACC would be a operation nightmare trying to deal with the 509 and the 520 QQ lines as well the 510. There is a plan to bring a Boardview car down Cherry St and along QQ to Union Station also alone with a few future ones.

The loop is out dated now and the plan one is only good for today, not 20 years from now.

There is no need for a bus on Bremmer during constructon on QQ, but one on QQ.

A 46-kilometre waterfront transit line with Union Station as the hub.
http://wx.toronto.ca/inter/it/newsr...f600464732?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,*station*

This was one of the many bold new visions announced for the city waterfront by Mel Lastman back in 1999. Its enough to turn your stomach to see that none of this has been accomplished in the last 12 years.... i say, with all the red tape and bureaucracy between the 3 levels of government, it could take anywhere from 20-30 years for anything that is proposed today to become reality.:mad:

meh, I agree there's been a ton of proposals and thought put into what to do with the waterfront in terms of, well just about everything i.e. transit / development / ...
This isn't a Toronto thing though. I can show you countless cities where there has been proposal after proposal with very little in the way of action.

I do agree that in Toronto, all of this sort of political rhetoric is concentrated on the waterfront area. Ignoring transit,t great things are happening in East Bayfront now though! I just hope it'll all come together.
I have hopes for the west donlands as well due to the pan am games but that's just about it. Everything else (and there are many plans for these areas) is up in the air because it's too far out in the future.

First of all, I spent 5 years behind the scene working with Waterfront Toronto and the community on QQ in developing the various transit lines plan for the waterfront as well development.

I have first hand knowledge of the complaints that I have heard over those 5 years not only from the local residents, but BIA, local ratepayer groups, out of Toronto visitors and Toronto locals as to access to the waterfront. These were raised both at public and behind the scene meetings.

As for City Place, I have spoken to the developers for City Place years ago about transit for the area and transit on Bremmer. I was told my them that there was no need for a transit line on Bremmer since the residents were with a 5 minute walk to either the 509, 510 or 511. At the same time, people will walk over to the walkway to go downtown in the first place.

I have never supported a line on Bremmer from day one when talk of one arose for it. If there is to be a line down there, it should be one on Front St since there was one up to 1949.

TTC wants to bring a 514 Bathurst Car off Bathurst St to Union Station as well a 519 from Long Branch using the Western Waterfront Line along Bremmer and go under the Air Canada Centre. There is a tunnel in place for this line there now. That interlining under ACC would be a operation nightmare trying to deal with the 509 and the 520 QQ lines as well the 510. There is a plan to bring a Boardview car down Cherry St and along QQ to Union Station also alone with a few future ones.

The loop is out dated now and the plan one is only good for today, not 20 years from now.

There is no need for a bus on Bremmer during constructon on QQ, but one on QQ.

I think we agree with eachother. I thought you were agreeing with Tuscani01 and saying that a temporary express bus for people in City Place should be operating down Bremner so that people in that area don't need to go one stop south to transfer to a bus.

Are we likely to see the construction begin on the redesigned Queen's Quay this year? Or will this be delayed yet again until next year where it will be cancelled by the Ford administration as an expensive frill we can't afford.

I'll update this tomorrow after I get more info from my work. I'm doing co-op at the ministry of Infrastructure's transportation division, and the guy next to my cubicle is working on waterfront toronto. I'll let you guys know, any public info I can release about it.

Last edited:
TTC has supposely put it to the Waterfront that "you either makeup your minds by July as to what supposed to happen on QQ or we will tear up the existing tracks and install the new track in the same place."

This work is schedule to start in Sept.

There is a meeting on the QQ for June 9, as well a few other projects.

TTC has supposely put it to the Waterfront that "you either makeup your minds by July as to what supposed to happen on QQ or we will tear up the existing tracks and install the new track in the same place."

This work is schedule to start in Sept.

There is a meeting on the QQ for June 9, as well a few other projects.

yep you're right, basically it's up to the city as to whether this goes forward or not. It was supposed to coincide with the track replacement on QQ.

yep you're right, basically it's up to the city as to whether this goes forward or not. It was supposed to coincide with the track replacement on QQ.

Is it up to the City or to Waterfront Toronto? No inside info, but from the last CEO report it sounded like the plan was to borrow money from other WT projects to finance the unfunded part of the Spadina-Bay project. Asking Mr Ford to put up more City money certainly seems like a non-starter.

Is it up to the City or to Waterfront Toronto? No inside info, but from the last CEO report it sounded like the plan was to borrow money from other WT projects to finance the unfunded part of the Spadina-Bay project. Asking Mr Ford to put up more City money certainly seems like a non-starter.

Essentially the city had planned to have the funding prepared and in place for this project and construction ready to go by 2012, but as you've pointed out, asking Ford to put up more money is unlikely. All I can definitely say is that it is still on the books, but depending on the way City Hall goes about it, this may take some time.

Back