Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Just did a fun test ride of the trail. Except for the same part where lemur had to detour it's really great.
I attached a photo of the bollards section west of Bathurst. It's actually pretty good as the spacing is much tighter than I had expected.

Looks pretty good and I guess it'll stop cabs from parking. I don't entirely understand the city's fixation on flexible bollards, except maybe for the fact that they can be removed if necessary. This would have been a good place to demonstrate the value of a concrete curb.

With the number of accidents involving streetcars on the new QQ and the number of clueless drivers turning onto the ROW, I am surprised it hasn't grabbed attention of the media yet.

Looks pretty good and I guess it'll stop cabs from parking. I don't entirely understand the city's fixation on flexible bollards, except maybe for the fact that they can be removed if necessary. This would have been a good place to demonstrate the value of a concrete curb.
Yeah, I have to confess I don't understand the bollards at all. Judging by the vast number of stumps on Wellesley, Richmond, and Adelaide, I'd say they have not exactly been successful. If they're not spaced tightly enough together, they just encourage vehicles to go ahead and park in the bike lane anyway.

I imagine emergency services access was some concern originally; however, in the event of an emergency, it's probably actually easier for a large vehicle like a fire truck to just drive over a hard curb, or on a sidewalk, than to have to drive over a bunch of bollards.

Are these bollards seriously the final product? I love everything that has been done with QQ, but these look terrible and temporary.

That's because it is temporary. This section of the MGT wasn't part of the initial plan.

We’re also getting ready to eliminate the need for a transition west of Lower Spadina as well. You may remember that our initial Queens Quay design called for a transition at the Lower Spadina Avenue intersection requiring cyclists traveling westbound to cross to the on-street bicycle lane on the northside of Queens Quay. The transition worked, but what we really wanted was a seamless connection. So, working with West 8 + DTAH, we created an interim solution which eliminates the need for the transition at Yo Yo Ma Lane. This new design allows the Martin Goodman Trail to continue uninterrupted on the south side of Queens Quay all the way to Stadium Road.
https://www.newblueedge.ca/nbe/port...uing+the+martin+goodman+trail+to+stadium+road

.. from my understanding the spadina to bathurst portion will be done with the same design when the TTC needs to repleace the streetcar tracks in that area, which I believe is in the late 2020's.

Again, would help if they had put green something (grass?) in the streetcar right-of-way. With the bicycle path next to it, emergency vehicles could use the bicycle path, but no the roads department wants to them to use the right-of-way.

The right-of-way is almost the same colour as the roadway. And the legal North American signage is confusing.

I rode the new track from Stadium Rd to Lower Simcoe this morning and it seems to be about 98% complete. There was still some minor work going on - painting the blue sections at driveways/intersections, putting some pavers in - but nothing I couldn't go around on the trail/sidewalk side. Just need to look out for workers and vehicles here and there.

There was also a truck heading west, spraying water on the road - I guess that's part of the final cleanup?

There was also a truck heading west, spraying water on the road - I guess that's part of the final cleanup?

tumblr_mzm1lwQae91sh962to1_500.jpg

Couldn't resist.

Again, would help if they had put green something (grass?) in the streetcar right-of-way. With the bicycle path next to it, emergency vehicles could use the bicycle path, but no the roads department wants to them to use the right-of-way.

The right-of-way is almost the same colour as the roadway. And the legal North American signage is confusing.

Im still surprised they didn't attempt to colour the concrete, or at least texture it like the previous ROW on Queens Quay, which had a stamped brick-like pattern in some areas.

Edit: Actually, I think it was Spadina that had textured areas, not QQ.

Im still surprised they didn't attempt to colour the concrete, or at least texture it like the previous ROW on Queens Quay, which had a stamped brick-like pattern in some areas.

Edit: Actually, I think it was Spadina that had textured areas, not QQ.

Yup, and St. Clair also had the textured concrete. For all the effort put into the line, the TTC ROW on QQ felt like a bare minimum (stock shelters).

AoD

Back