Toronto The Beach House | 24.5m | 6s | Sud Group | Graziani + Corazza

PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
1684 QUEEN ST E
Ward 19 - Tor & E.York District

Site Plan Approval application for a proposed 6-storey mixed-use building containing 110 residential dwelling units, 1058 square metres of non-residential gross floor area and 85 parking spaces within two levels of below grade parking.

Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
Rezoning​
19 242696 STE 19 OZ​
Oct 29, 2019​
Under Review​

Currently the site of a Days Inn:

As low-rise buildings go, this must have been a pretty decent looking one back in the day, before the scourge of EIFS covered its Queen frontage. As evident with the brick facade still showing on the Orchard Park Blvd side:

The application also includes the properties with the addresses of 1698, 1700 and 1702 Queen St E, which extend to the buildings of the car wash, Brett's Ice Cream, and Murphy's Law Pub at Kingston Rd. I do hope there's efforts to retain some of these buildings or at least components of them, especially the Murphy's Law building.

Last edited:
Well! I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Will be very interested to see what they come up with. Always was fond of that building that currently houses Murphy's Law. There's a singular, still dignified appeal to its exterior appearance, how it anchors the corner. Will some gruesome facedectomy neuter it, or will they deftly incorporate it into the new project?

The Day's Inn looks it's hiding some late-deco building beneath a reclad.

Wonder what it originally looked like.

Also chiming in to say that I hope the Murphy's Law building is kept- hope city hall can keep on top of things, and that we won't get a preemptive demolition like what happened to a couple of bank buildings at Yonge and Eglinton.

I feel like Murphy's went downhill a few years back, after their last reno. Somehow it got even blander, more vanilla. I think their food's taken a similar dive. Best thing about it remains the patio out front and the rooftop patio.

Its been a part of Fab Concepts for awhile now.

They own 'Against the Grain' and Dominion Pub up on Queen, among others.

Their food is never great; it often has that potential, but to my knowledge they rarely hire chefs, they mostly use 'kitchen manager's and line cooks and I'm not keen on the level of training provided.

Notably I've eaten at their places 3-4 times over the years and twice I've had a salad that was under dressed, in part because it wasn't tossed. Silly little thing, but does detract from the food.

The only developer that really cares about proper historical retention in Toronto is Allied. The rest of them will just conduct facendectomy while laughing to the bank.

I wish Toronto had much stronger historical reservation rules, but that will probably never happen.

Probably not - it's not in our civic culture. People keep electing regressively minded tools like Stephen Holyday.

Back