Toronto QRC West (Queen Richmond Centre West) | 71.93m | 17s | Allied | Sweeny &Co

4ioMiy4.jpg

Spqm0w2.jpg

Another milestone for QRC West - the tower crane is coming down today.

Not sure if posted somewhere else - but the Spacing store across the street from this is a great compliment to this building. Richmond along this stretch used to be such a deadzone place for cars to speed through - and now is one of my favourite blocks.

I can't quite tell from the renderings in the database - are they leaving that concrete core on the north side unclad? I like a little béton brut as much as the next fellow (likely more), but I'm not sure it suits the rest of the building.

Whatever happens will be temporary, as eventually a second phase will be built to the north.

Not quite. The second phase, approved by the OMB after a hearing last May, would step down towards Queen Street from seven storeys to three. That will hide much of the concrete structure, not that I know whether the remainder above that height is being clad or not… but not much of whatever remains of it will be seen from the street. Certainly a repeat of the distance shot above would still reveal whatever remains about the seventh story.

I can't tell if building a new building on top of an old one is cool, or whether 100 years from now we're going to look at what we've done and think it looks ridiculous and we've just frankensteined a bunch of architecture. I mean I guess it's better than tearing it down, but architecturally will it stand the test of time?

Attachments

• PI5399-hr.jpg
    PI5399-hr.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 873

Back