Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

The bottom floor of parking was dug out of the shale bedrock.

Bedrock is deep in Yorkville.

I agree with the comments that like, you don't start building the tallest building in the city without doing geotechnical analysis, and then mitigating for issues. But that said... if the building does start leaning, we can call it a tourist attraction! The leaning supertall of Toronto!

Dont worry, I'm very sure everyone has done their homework and we're not going to run into a Millennium Tower (San Francisco) situation here.

I know you're "just asking questions", but I'm pretty sure they did their homework! This is not Yorkville, though.

Just asking questions? The excavation photos explicitly show the bottom level of the basement garage dug into the shale bedrock. Not all major buildings are anchored to bedrock in Yorkville. Yorkville can be considered both downtown and not downtown so saying all major buildings anchored to bedrock can be both right and wrong.

It's very possible to build a supertall that isn't on bedrock. As an example, the Burj Khalifa is built on sand using a pile supported raft slab. The same system was used for Stantec tower in Edmonton, the tallest building in Canada outside of Toronto.

Good geotechnical engineers are very smart and take on a lot of risk - I have zero doubt that they did their job correctly.

...oh, that sounds like something is about to be poured big time. <3

A very very long pour.
IMG_4900.jpeg

Just asking questions? The excavation photos explicitly show the bottom level of the basement garage dug into the shale bedrock. Not all major buildings are anchored to bedrock in Yorkville. Yorkville can be considered both downtown and not downtown so saying all major buildings anchored to bedrock can be both right and wrong.
By downtown, I suppose I meant below Queen where the Georgian Bay Shale formation is relatively shallow, but I should have been more specific. Having said that, many of the larger buildings up at Bloor are also founded on bedrock through piles. I am petty sure that is how "The One" is built.

Back