Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

I'm confused. I just read the front-page story about a proposed height increase for the tallest tower to 105 stories. I thought this tower had been approved for 105 stories a long time ago as reflected in the headline for this thread. For as long as I can remember it has been: "Pinnacle One Yonge | 344.9m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini".

What am I missing? I read back a few pages of this thread but am still bewildered.

I'm confused. I just read the front-page story about a proposed height increase for the tallest tower to 105 stories. I thought this tower had been approved for 105 stories a long time ago as reflected in the headline for this thread. For as long as I can remember it has been: "Pinnacle One Yonge | 344.9m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini".

What am I missing? I read back a few pages of this thread but am still bewildered.

The subject/Database lines that states that state height then floor count is what the developer is officially proposing via documentation to my understanding. And It's by no means that those have been officially been approved by The City. To writ, this is what the developer is going for, doesn't mean they'll actually get it.

...so therfore, both height and floor count for this building is what Pinnacle have been asking for. And had been asking for a long while now. The approval of such had only just happened recently...hence, the article in question, as this was big news here. And one that some of us didn't think they would actually get. So, there you go.

Since it’s under construction already it must have been designed for the extra floors from the start right?
Probably not.

You'd certainly have to consider strengthening vertical elements when adding floors for shorter buildings, but with buildings of this height, lateral loads (i.e. wind/earthquake) will always govern. This means that vertical elements like columns, floors, and foundations will already be larger than they need to be for current vertical load. Adding floors will increase the vertical load, but there's enough extra capacity already that it doesn't matter.

The lateral load will certainly increase with the extra height, but they can adjust the tuned mass damper to compensate. It might have a slightly higher peak deflection under extreme conditions, but nothing that isn't "safe."

This is also the case for One Bloor West and it's height addition, and anything over 250m really. In any case, the structural team will get paid to redo all their calculations and models just to be sure.

Yes, indeed, that’s why nobody’s posted anything. Posts like this are annoying at best, and rude at worst.
I never understood why asking for updates is so frowned upon. Sometimes when people ask for new info it ends up being the reason why new info was posted to begin with. Give @Collingwoodbuildinglover a break they're just interested in the project and have asked similar questions before which ended up with photos being posted.

Here's the view from the south taken five minutes ago. I really do not have an update on the rebar but they sure have been busy over the past weeks. Hope the pour happens soon.

IMG_4949.jpeg

I never understood why asking for updates is so frowned upon.
...threads that have remain dormant or inactive for months or even years that gets bumped, can be frustrating for readers who assume it's being bumped for new and important information. So it's usually and naturally frowned upon. However, since this is an active thread, I don't really see it being that much of an issue here.

3 pictures from noon today Wed Nov 8
They still have a lot of work to do on this transfer slab.
_N8A2644.jpeg

_N8A2646.jpeg

_N8A2645.jpeg

Tue. Nov 7
_N8A2640.jpeg

L12 hotel and L13 residential Site Plan Approval drawings below show the difference in loads for transfer.
They don’t show the L12/L13 hotel elevator overrun but could it still be in the transfer slab as seen in the picture above?
Is there an accessible overhead elevator machine room or is this some sort of new elevator technology?

It’s interesting how they isolate the elevator core with doors starting at L13 to reduce the stack air effect.
I wonder if the north and south corridor doors will be fob access restricted for security? Airbnb?

IMG_4840.jpeg

Back