Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

The video mentions that toronto is starting to be like Asian cities and goes on to list some. I would argue that toronto is becoming more like Chicago and New York than shanghai and hong kong. I think they picked Asian cities to try to make skyscrapers feel more evil, they certainly took that tilt with the overall article.

I love how the woman is screaming about 15,000 people literally right beside the largest transit hub in the country and acts like it will overload infrastructure.(specifically talking about the York and Bremner area here)

yep, everytime I want comfort them "don't worry, your idyllic suburban Scarborough or Oakville and all those 2 storey houses will remain unchanged".

15,000, big deal. we are far from having this http://trans.wenweipo.com/gb/image.wenweipo.com/2007/07/12/ot0712h.jpg

This proposal is outrageous. There is zero chance at final approval it will remain of this magnitude. It seems more of a publicity stunt than anything.

wrt shortage of land around the financial district, I wonder when we will start seeing developers buy every residential and commercial unit inside an existing mid-rise condo to it knock down and build something taller

Why is that woman in the clip so worried about an additional 15000 people? Did she ever consider that many of those people actually walk to work? With a new era of increased density, and employers setting up their headquarters in the core, we are going to see a new trend, one where no one drives or takes the TTC, but walks to work. Ask anyone who lives in other high density areas, like Manhattan. According to my friends who live there, infrastructure is secondary, as everyone walks to where they need to go. The idea of driving isn't even a consideration, and rightly so, it's the next step of increasing our core density. Decades ago, most had to commute downtown, but with tens of thousands of condos being built each year right in the core, that has become, or, will become, a thing of the past for many. There will always be those living in the burbs who need to commute, but with upgrades to our transit, and the addition of the downtown relief line, I think we can handle it. This is all merely growing pains, and in a city experiencing such an unprecedented surge in density, we have reached the point of no return. We are now becoming a city where hundreds of thousands live in the core, and build their entire life round that. Transportation infrastructure will become a mute point, social infrastructure, however, is something that must be addressed if we actually want to maintain a healthy and prosperous downtown core. There is still plenty of room for growth, and unless Armageddon actually happens, we will continue to see a Toronto that reaches for the sky, it's inevitable, so either adapt, or move, with the momentum that we're rolling along, I just can't see it stop any time soon. (Wa do you guys think?)

Zaha Hadid apparently just had one of her buildings copied part-and-parcel, and may be set to open before the original. http://designbuildsource.com.au/zaha-hadid-in-architectural-race-against-design-pirates
One look at the near-duplicate of her 'Dancing Towers' design appearing in this preliminary Yonge Street render should have everyone going back to the drawing board. Though, actually, it'd be nice to see Pinnacle hire her to design a couple of the buildings. I don't expect the final product (if there is one) to look much like the drawing shown, however.

Last edited:
While these towers are similar, I in no way would claim they are copies. The shape is the same, but the building facade is completely different. The strong vertical features that wrap around the building is something unique that H+P have included that Zaha didn't, as well as wrap around balconies.

Anyone who thinks that what we've seen is what will be built has little idea how the architectural profession works (likely no fault of their own). In essence, H+P might as well have just dropped in the actual Zaha towers from the Google Warehouse into their model for all the effect it will have on the final product.

I imagine it works similar to the fashion biz. Wild idea meets the cost cutting department meets the marketing department.

I agree this is just a place holder and should not rep the final design.

I really wish the final design would take off from the Pier 27 aesthetic. Toronto needs modern "complete" neighbourhoods, instead of suburban-style mcmansion buildings where everyone competes with another but does not work together. Could you imagine if the Annex was made up of a million different styles?

I really wish the final design would take off from the Pier 27 aesthetic. Toronto needs modern "complete" neighbourhoods, instead of suburban-style mcmansion buildings where everyone competes with another but does not work together. Could you imagine if the Annex was made up of a million different styles?

The Annex is a very lively mix of different architectural styles.

As for characterizing a a diversity of architectural approaches "suburban", I completely disagree with that. I think a diversity in architecture is something our downtown core could use a little more of, especially in homogenous zones like Southcore or Harbourfront.

Last edited:
I wish Southcore/Harbourfront took on a more HafenCity approach and less of a disjointed Dubai-style architectural mishmash.

Yes the Annex etc is diverse, but what I meant to say is the homogeneous look and feel of prewar neighbourhoods overall makes a 'hood more successful from an aesthetic pov. Freedville is perhaps Toronto's best modern example of working this way.

Including my own family with one child, there are three other families with children living on the 25th floor at 18 Harbour, next door to this project. Our daycare is packed and has a waiting list, a school bus comes twice a day to pickup/drop off kids for school. Never assume that families don't live downtown

No one said families don't live downtown - but it's generally only the wealthy families that can afford it.

And the argument that "that's the way it is in other major cities" is pretty weak. I guess we shouldn't strive for something better?

I love how the woman is screaming about 15,000 people literally right beside the largest transit hub in the country and acts like it will overload infrastructure.(specifically talking about the York and Bremner area here)

Yes, but its the largest and most over-capacity transit hub in the country.

No one said families don't live downtown - but it's generally only the wealthy families that can afford it.

And the argument that "that's the way it is in other major cities" is pretty weak. I guess we shouldn't strive for something better?

if there is something better that is feasible, other older cities would already have tried that.
families can still afford to live near downtown (say within in 6km). most don't because they choose not to, not because they can't.

Back