Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

I feel like phase one has been relatively overlooked due to the height of the towers to come later. Even this first building is exciting however. It's as tall as anything else along the waterfront and will have a massive impact on the skyline.

Yeah, while "puny" compared to SkyTower and the (beautifully rendered) Phase 3.... 217m is nothing to sneeze at.

My only concern is this tower's design may be most at risk for the "Pinnacle Effect" (my new term for value engineering) when executed. If a window-wall disaster starts to unfold, emotionally-unstable forum members (like me) may start forecasting disaster for the next 2 phases. I confess this is an unhealthy behaviour that can be treated with proper medication.

6918-87178.jpeg

UT

Yeah, while "puny" compared to SkyTower and the (beautifully rendered) Phase 3.... 217m is nothing to sneeze at.

My only concern is this tower's design may be most at risk for the "Pinnacle Effect" (my new term for value engineering) when executed. If a window-wall disaster starts to unfold, emotionally-unstable forum members (like me) may start forecasting disaster for the next 2 phases. I confess this is an unhealthy behaviour that can be treated with proper medication.

6918-87178.jpeg

UT
emotionally-unstable forum members
😅 🤣 😂

6918-87178.jpeg

UT

When are the next two phases starting?

Is there a writeup anywhere that I can understand these terminologies? I don't know the pros and cons of window-wall vs curtain-wall vs any other type of cladding that can be used.

Here's a pretty good link: https://www.lenmak.com/curtain-window-wall/

Some highlights:

What is a Curtain Wall?
A curtain wall is a glazed wall system hung off a concrete slab using anchors. Curtain walls are self-supporting and give a building’s exterior the look of top to bottom glass. Most often used on commercial buildings, curtain walls are typically installed from the outside of a building using cranes or rigs. Curtain wall installation is a complex process and can be more expensive than other systems.

What is a Window Wall?
A window wall is achieved by placing glazing between a building’s concrete slabs, using the slabs as structural support. Window walls have a break between the glass, with slab covers used to conceal the concrete. Window walls are often used in residential applications as they allow for more customizable sections such as windows and balcony doors. They are most commonly installed from the inside of a building, which is a safer, more efficient and more cost effective.

Curtain Wall Advantages
If installed correctly, curtain wall systems provide excellent structural integrity, as there are fewer mullions and joints required when compared to most window wall systems. Acting as a single unit, curtain walls are highly resistant to moisture, wind, heat and earthquakes. They require little maintenance.

Window Wall Advantages
Aside from advantages such as customizability, ease of installation and cost savings, window walls also require less engineering and safety considerations as the exterior wall is broken up by each floors’ concrete slab, providing built-in fire stopping.

A Cost Comparison
For the comparable amount of glazing, window walls can be installed for half the cost – or even less – of curtain walls

Here's a pretty good link: https://www.lenmak.com/curtain-window-wall/

Some highlights:

What is a Curtain Wall?
A curtain wall is a glazed wall system hung off a concrete slab using anchors. Curtain walls are self-supporting and give a building’s exterior the look of top to bottom glass. Most often used on commercial buildings, curtain walls are typically installed from the outside of a building using cranes or rigs. Curtain wall installation is a complex process and can be more expensive than other systems.

What is a Window Wall?
A window wall is achieved by placing glazing between a building’s concrete slabs, using the slabs as structural support. Window walls have a break between the glass, with slab covers used to conceal the concrete. Window walls are often used in residential applications as they allow for more customizable sections such as windows and balcony doors. They are most commonly installed from the inside of a building, which is a safer, more efficient and more cost effective.

Curtain Wall Advantages
If installed correctly, curtain wall systems provide excellent structural integrity, as there are fewer mullions and joints required when compared to most window wall systems. Acting as a single unit, curtain walls are highly resistant to moisture, wind, heat and earthquakes. They require little maintenance.

Window Wall Advantages
Aside from advantages such as customizability, ease of installation and cost savings, window walls also require less engineering and safety considerations as the exterior wall is broken up by each floors’ concrete slab, providing built-in fire stopping.

A Cost Comparison
For the comparable amount of glazing, window walls can be installed for half the cost – or even less – of curtain walls

Thanks! This is great information and I'm learning a lot!

Looks like it'll be wrapped in balconies, so any spandrel may be hidden a bit.
Yeah I agree.. the final 'look' may come down to the balcony cladding more than the window wall. The south elevation pic above shows a giant head to toe "swoop", presumably with two different types of balcony glass (or glass plus another material). Could be interesting.

Interesting, thanks!
I hadn't realized that the cladding would be faceted.

Yeah I agree.. the final 'look' may come down to the balcony cladding more than the window wall. The south elevation pic above shows a giant head to toe "swoop", presumably with two different types of balcony glass (or glass plus another material). Could be interesting.

I expect fritted and clear glass similar to Massey Tower's balcony glass.

Last edited:

Back