Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

LOL, Maybe you should look a bit more closely.

The app from last fall was Issued a Notice of Incomplete Application.

A new set of Docs was submitted early May '23.

They are still in circulation.

Pinnacle is seeking an expedited review at this point, which is addressed in the most recent Cover Letter.

I expect they'll get it. While I wouldn't entirely rule out the July Council meeting; September is more likely as the earliest date I would think.

But you can always phone George (the planner) and ask. He's a nice guy.

The new docs have not made any material changes that I can see; but rather provide supplementary information and seek to carefully scope any review of the ask so as to move things along.

From the Cover Letter:

View attachment 491409
** snip **

View attachment 491410
View attachment 491411

View attachment 491412
View attachment 491413
View attachment 491414
Thanks for the fulsome reply. I obviously did not look in the right spot on the City's labyrinthine Planning pages. I appreciate this.

Thanks for the fulsome reply. I obviously did not look in the right spot on the City's labyrinthine Planning pages. I appreciate this.

NP. You're welcome. I just looked for the open (not closed) application, and then under supporting docs for any new files.

Thanks for clarifying about the post tensioning system.

Wouldn't the slab thickness be more or less irrelevant to the height? The slabs don't take any more load than in a shorter building. Slab thickness is only really dependent on column spacing typically.

Agreed about the shear walls in this thing. Massive walls that are absolutely stuffed with gigantic bars and post tensioning. Never seen anything like it tbh.
Thicker slabs will help lateral sway (will help tie in all the walls columns), forgot to mention higher MPA concrete for all the walls and columns. There's also 5-6 walls that are tied into the main elevator/stair core that will help with swaying.

Not an engineer though, just a trade on site.

Thicker slabs will help lateral sway (will help tie in all the walls columns), forgot to mention higher MPA concrete for all the walls and columns. There's also 5-6 walls that are tied into the main elevator/stair core that will help with swaying.

Thank you for the insight into this building, that is absolutely awesome. Hope you're having fun at work

When you say "tied into the main elevator/stair core" do you mean there are drop beams connecting these outer walls to the main core? Cause then you're right; this would definitely help with swaying.

Thicker slabs can help with buildings that have large diaphragms and therefore big distances between lateral support points (i.e. core walls). But in a building like this that has such a densely packed floor plate I wouldn't expect the slab to need to be very thick to transmit the loads to the core. Especially if there are drop beams. But I haven't looked at the drawings myself, so you might know better than me what the intended load path is.

Just out of curiosity, what MPa concrete are they using for the walls and columns? I've heard of 80+ MPa concrete being used in some extremely tall builds.

I would remind everyone to be careful about providing specific construction details. BoomOne has given us a lot of general information without crossing the line where an employer might be concerned. Thanks Boomone for what you have been able to share.

When you say "tied into the main elevator/stair core" do you mean there are drop beams connecting these outer walls to the main core? Cause then you're right; this would definitely help with swaying.

Thicker slabs can help with buildings that have large diaphragms and therefore big distances between lateral support points (i.e. core walls). But in a building like this that has such a densely packed floor plate I wouldn't expect the slab to need to be very thick to transmit the loads to the core. Especially if there are drop beams. But I haven't looked at the drawings myself, so you might know better than me what the intended load path is.

Just out of curiosity, what MPa concrete are they using for the walls and columns? I've heard of 80+ MPa concrete being used in some extremely tall builds

The walls and columns range from 80-85 MPa depending on whether or not post-tensioning is present in the wall.
I would remind everyone to be careful about providing specific construction details. BoomOne has given us a lot of general information without crossing the line where an employer might be concerned. Thanks Boomone for what you have been able to share.
I can answer some structural questions if anyone is curious, on the hope that my username (not affiliated with Black Diamond) can keep me anonymous 😅.

I hate reposting this kind of stuff but hopefully they catch the guy.

From a blogTO story today.

Posted July 12 but probably taken on Sunday April 16 6-7 pm based on the sky, sun, traffic, CIBC Square and Skytower construction progress.

Edited. Removed some promotion of this.

3N8A0085.jpeg

3N8A0082.jpeg

Good luck Pinnacle.
IMG_5481.jpeg

Last edited:
I hate reposting this kind of stuff but hopefully they catch the guy.

From a blogTO story today.

Posted July 12 but probably taken on Sunday April 16 6-7 pm based on the sky, sun, traffic, CIBC Square and Skytower construction progress.

Edited. Removed some promotion of this.

View attachment 492093

View attachment 492094
Good luck Pinnacle.View attachment 492096

One these guys died recently in Toronto doing this and now his parents are using his story to try and deter other young thrill seekers from doing the same.

Last edited:
Here's what's in the core at Vancouver House - the lop-sided tower in Vancouver:
That's mad wicked rebar! I guess that's what you get when you build a lopsided tower in a high seismic zone. If I was the engineer on that project I would've been looking at the architects like they're crazy.

Just out of curiosity, what MPa concrete are they using for the walls and columns? I've heard of 80+ MPa concrete being used in some extremely tall builds.

There aren't many drop beams, only 5 on this current floor that tie into the core (you can probably see them with a powerful enough lens) and they aren't too deep for the lower height floors.

Yes all the walls/columns are 80+ MPa.

I know I maybe already toeing the line but there will be no pictures or any true insider info from me.

Back