Toronto Picasso Condos | 128.62m | 39s | Mattamy Homes | Teeple Architects

Toronto's post-WW2 Modernist heritage doesn't only consist of the Peter Dickinson buildings that Montrealer Peter Clewes has drawn inspiration from - via Dickinson's CIBC tower in his home town - to create the sleeky anorexic point towers like Spire that everyone simply adores these days. Chunky Concrete Toronto brutalism is just as much a part of it.

Given how little PoMo there is around town, clearly nothing comes between us and our Modernist roots. Dubai-wraiths can keep their L-Tower as far as I'm concerned - it says more about their taste than it does about our style.

But, lest we assume that something entirely new is happening with this tower, consider all those nice little neo-Modernist single-family boxes that are now cropping up as infill projects on Toronto streets. They get nice little write-ups in architectural magazines and newspapers, and they win design awards. Teeple, the architect of this tower, has built a typical example for artist Charlie Pachter on Grange Avenue. If you stack them one on top of another, and twist half of them sideways at jaunty angles you get something very much like this building. Radical departure? I think not.

Amazing! I was a bit suspicious that the rendering might have exadurated some of the pertrusions and setbacks, but the elevations seem to match it. I hope this one gets approved with minimal resistance.

I didn't realize that when expressing opinions on this site regarding buildings that they be pre-approved according to opinions of others. So a couple of people (or more) don't like this particular building. So what! No need for insults. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It is subjective after all.

Hope they keep the use of cement board to a minimum. I think it could have looked much better if it was all glass.

Questionable ground space though. Looks nothing more than a staircase, lobby entrance and driveway.

Amazing! I was a bit suspicious that the rendering might have exadurated some of the pertrusions and setbacks, but the elevations seem to match it. I hope this one gets approved with minimal resistance.

Just watch out for those haters in the University Apts!

But, lest we assume that something entirely new is happening with this tower, consider all those nice little neo-Modernist single-family boxes that are now cropping up as infill projects on Toronto streets. They get nice little write-ups in architectural magazines and newspapers, and they win design awards.

Very true...in some international circles, all these condo towers don't register...it's the houses that garner the critical attention.

Although they would probably balk at the prospect, I always wonder what a Shim-Sutcliffe tower would look like if the same kind of attention to detail that say a Integral House were applied.

That would be quite the addition. I wonder how long it will be before the boutique hotel complains about the homeless shelter a few feet away.

Gansevoort Hotel

found at hotelchatter.com:

can't remember which of the Clubland projects this is - mods, please move to appropriate thread, and thx - yyzer

Gansevoort Hotel to Open in Toronto in 2011

Where: Toronto, Canada
9/03/2008 at 3:03 PM
Tags: Gansevoort Hotels, Gansevoort Toronto, Hotel News, Hotel Hype, Toronto Hotels

We had heard the rumblings and now we have confirmation: Gansevoort Toronto is in the works.

gvoorttto.jpg

This will be the fourth property from the Gansevoort hotel Group--there's the flagship in NYC, Gansevoort South in Miami Beach and the upcoming Gansevoort Park on Park Ave South--and it will include residences. The hotel will also be very green as it's expected to be Toronto's first ever LEED-certified hotel/residence. Indeed, Gansevoort Toronto is hoping to be the model for "environmentally building and living."

But don't worry! It won't be like totally boring or anything. For starters, look at that crazy design. If you look closely, you can make out the vertical hanging gardens. The hotel also will have a rooftop pool (natch) and it's located in the city's Richmond Street district, a fashion and entertainment hub.

Now, we wonder how Thompson Hotels, who are opening their own hotel with a pool and an ice rink, feel about this announcement.

More details on the G'voort T'to after the jump.

Features of the Gansevoort Toronto which is being designed by TAS DesignBuild, include:

· A range of integrated sustainable functions, including building automation (systems tied to computer monitors to intelligently draw less power); ERV systems (energy recovery ventilators designed to reclaim energy before it is discharged); HRV systems (heat recovery systems), etc.

· Units with individual vertical hanging gardens that provide a mixed landscape between greenery and modern architecture.

· Signature heated outdoor rooftop pool with underwater lights and music; rooftop bar and lounge with landscaped garden; and spacious event loft with soaring ceilings and commanding panoramic views of the city and Lake Ontario.

Once again, we gotta wait until 2011 before this hotel opens its green doors.

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2008/9/3/145657/1725/hotels/Gansevoort_Hotel_to_Open_in_Toronto_in_2011

· Units with individual vertical hanging gardens that provide a mixed landscape between greenery and modern architecture.

I wonder if visitors will be responsible for watering the plants?

Gansevoort in NYC is a great time. Popular place.

I didn't think it was a chain, since its named after the street in the Meat packing district.

The patio bar/lounge on the penthouse has a spectacular view. Pretty much the entire floor is the bar/lounge, with a 360 degree outdoor patio (although one side is the pool).

But like most places in NY drinks were expensive. $14 for a vodka soda.

I think it will do very well in Toronto.

Back