Toronto Picasso Condos | 128.62m | 39s | Mattamy Homes | Teeple Architects

I know a photographer from the States who loves commie blocks such as these! They are ugly to my eyes too but i can see that given some time a future generation may view them very differently. Living conditions can always be improved, and most likely would be if they become more appreciated - i.e. valuable - at some point. Remember, people in the 60s ad 70s hated and knocked down buildings that are very much prized by us today, we cannot be short-sighted about architecture and design!

Is there any chance that would happen? Sherbourne/Dundas has half of a dozen fugly slabs that I want to blow up. A lot of horrible stories about how bad living conditions are within those buildings as well (rats, bedbugs etc).

They are private rental apartments I believe - at some point they might be worth more redeveloped/densified.

AoD

I know a photographer from the States who loves commie blocks such as these! They are ugly to my eyes too but i can see that given some time a future generation may view them very differently. Living conditions can always be improved, and most likely would be if they become more appreciated - i.e. valuable - at some point. Remember, people in the 60s ad 70s hated and knocked down buildings that are very much prized by us today, we cannot be short-sighted about architecture and design!

I doubt those housing projects will ever be considered treasure in architecture. They are not scarce, nor well designed, nor pleasing looking. Some individual photographer can find anything interesting but it doesn't mean it will receive recognition universally. Plus, if one wants to see real commie blocks he can always visit Russia or China, or Hong Kong on a much more impressive scale.

Is there any chance they can be renovated into condos or hotels in the future? Some day, Sherbourne and Dundas will become an attractive place to live/stay considering how well located it is.

They are not scarce, nor well designed, nor pleasing looking.

To each their own regarding the design but I think they look great. And they are large units that were built quite well. Transfer them to the Annex or some other richer neighbourhood and they would be much in demand. I'd take a few new ones like this over another anonymous green glass point tower any day.

I doubt those housing projects will ever be considered treasure in architecture. They are not scarce, nor well designed, nor pleasing looking. Some individual photographer can find anything interesting but it doesn't mean it will receive recognition universally.

Is there any chance they can be renovated into condos or hotels in the future? Some day, Sherbourne and Dundas will become an attractive place to live/stay considering how well located it is.

Sure, why not? I can't imagine anybody would ever have envisioned the current-day uses of the Distillery 100 years ago... and remember, Cabbage Town was once considered a slum! Why not a 'commieblock' precinct 50 years from now? Could be pretty darn cool!

As for only one individual photographer appreciating them I think you'll find a growing fan base:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=477

Plus, if one wants to see real commie blocks he can always visit Russia or China, or Hong Kong on a much more impressive scale.

Everything in Asia is on a more impressive scale. This doesn't preclude us from appreciating local iterations of wider design/architecture trends!

I would say the two concrete slabs are unique to the core compared to the TCHC red brick tower to the south. Find these mid 1970 concrete towers more in the suburbs of Scarborough, Mississsauga and, Oakville. They just need a lot of TLC.

Last edited:
I doubt those housing projects will ever be considered treasure in architecture. They are not scarce, nor well designed, nor pleasing looking.

And how history repeats. Your post is eerily similar to the exact same arguments made every generation about architecture that has gone out of favour. Those that don't learn from history are destined to repeat it.

I have a condo in what you'd call a 'Commie Block'. I viewed at least 50+ new condo buildings over the last 4-5 years before choosing what I did. My building might not suit today's ideas about beauty, but it's definitely built far better than 99% of what's being built today.

My building is rock solid with thick walls that offer good insulation/sound proofing. It has a sense of permanence often lacking in today's buildings, anchors the neighbourhood well, and will likely out last most of today's modern condo buildings. I think you'd also be surprised at what some of these units look like inside. My unit is modern, well layed out, and spacious... even on the balcony. Not well designed? Perhaps you shouldn't be so easily fooled by shiny veneers.

Every era of architecture has value even if your generation doesn't recognize it. Hopefully some of it will survive this generation's rush to make everything look 'current'.

Last edited:
Lights
Yl2hWJN.jpg

Vemjwm6.jpg

QMkfSQv.jpg

Camera
5Oxjih9.jpg

QNITUyC.jpg

s577HVZ.jpg

aZzQ1r5.jpg

Colour!
2N7z7tR.jpg

OWQELZd.jpg

I'm too excited about this project. It's going to be fantastic! Good on Teeple and especially impressive from the developer, to do something different here.

Murray Goldman laughed ruefully when telling us how much more this building was costing him than the average one he's built, but he wants to leave a legacy here, so that's what you gotta do…

Murray Goldman laughed ruefully when telling us how much more this building was costing him than the average one he's built, but he wants to leave a legacy here, so that's what you gotta do…

Kudos to him. This will be a true landmark that will be appreciated for decades.

Back