Toronto Picasso Condos | 128.62m | 39s | Mattamy Homes | Teeple Architects

Curious to see Monarch's approach to the site.

Even as a failed site for TAS, they still made a good margin on selling the land.

Like i said before, 20.8 million is big bucks for this area and Monarch will most likely take advantage of the height limit allowed in this neighbourhood...
expect 45-50 storeys-157 meters

Monarch is responsible for Lago, Heron's Hill, and Quay West among others, so they're definitely behind some of the more refined designs as of late. If they don't keep Teeple's design, I'm sure they'll give us something worthwhile.

Quay West is a very nice project, but I wouldn't give Heron's Hill the thumbs up yet. It's OK, definitely better than their Equinox and EQ projects at SCC, but it's not complete yet with only 1/3 of the whole project built. Also, Lago is not built yet, and their other projects along the Motel Strip are rather meh, in my opinion.

318 Richmond St. W (39s)

I don't think there's an existing thread for this.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5V 1X2

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 11 215344 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Jun 9, 2011

Project: Multiple-Use Building Other Proposal

Description: Build commercial and residential bldg containing 39 storey above & 5 levels below , with 411 dwelling units, 3 levels of commercial uses, and 5 levels of parking below.

MODS, Developers: Monarch/Goldman

via Councillor Vaughan:

Residents of the King-Spadina neighbourhood are invited to a community planning meeting about
development sites and proposals in the neighbourhood.

Presentations will be provided on:

1. 318 Richmond St W (north side, west of John Street - former Joker site)
2. 431 Richmond St W (south side, west of Spadina Ave)
3. 434-444 Adelaide St W (NE corner of Richmond St W and Brant)

Tuesday July 19, 2011
6:30 – 8:30pm
Metro Hall, 55 John Street, Room 310

Looks chunkier than before, but still an interesting design.

Rendering from BlacktowerTV's Twitter Feed:

http://twitter.com/#!/BlacktowerTV

monarch.jpg

The earlier design was superior without question. This one is still fine, though -- definitely not a standard box.

It looks much worse than the first design. The ambition so evident in the elegant original has apparently been perverted into a mishmash of chunky boxes serving no purpose or ideal.

It will be important to see what kind of vista it will create for the south end of Beverley Street.

while I don't mind the height at all, the proposal's bulk and massing seems a little overwhelming at first glance ~

The rendering looks artificially squashed down. Many renderings that we see de-emphasize the height so that neighbours won't be too worried about it looming over them. Remove 10 to 20 % of the height from ever floor, and it is bound to look stumpy.

Interesting mini-skyline all in one tower concept. Junctionist: "serving no purpose or ideal." What hyperbole!

Interesting mini-skyline all in one tower concept. Junctionist: "serving no purpose or ideal." What hyperbole!

I was thinking of aesthetic purposes or ideals, though more renderings are needed for proper judgment. It's going to house many people, like scores of new buildings. But is the mishmash Postmodern, a comment on new Modernist buildings, or it channelling the Habitat 67 idea of housing? It's really hard to tell. I think the mini-skyline idea is a gimmick unless the components indicate mixed uses.

Though not as distinct as the original hotel concept, the design looked very good. The black and white cladding, accented with reds, will be decoratively lit at night in order to highlight its prominent place at the south end view terminus from Beverly and the north end view terminus from Widmer.

It's a hell of a lot more interesting than the repetitive glass towers found at the Cityplace developments.

Back