Toronto Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning | ?m | 21s | Sick Kids | Diamond Schmitt

Indeed, Adamson canned half their workforce recently (100 laid off in Toronto: yikes!) Even architects are out of work these days...

while a couple floors down, stantec is actually hiring.

New renderings are now up on the Diamond Schmitt Architects website.

Flash!

Curses!

http://www.dsai.ca/

No overall view, but the snippets are very interesting...

This project is a very positive addition along a stretch of Bay that could really use it. The design is a little more playful than I'm accustomed to from Diamond + Schmitt which I guess makes sense given it's geared toward (sick) kids. Whatever. It's welcome.

Last edited:
40324264.jpg

66099560.jpg

56207617.jpg

61701703.jpg

67351766.jpg

11000233.jpg

43400889.jpg

Thanks for grabbing those Smuncky - you must have a larger monitor than I do!

I still hope we'll get a contextual view showing the whole building and its surroundings.

certainly one of the most playful D & S designs. i'd like to see the full outside render. hope it doesn't look like barcode.

Looks nice enough. I am surprised that Diamond is resorting to the "cheap trick" of curves, though.

As with all design, it depends how well it's done - looking into the curvy Galleria Italia from the outside as a satisfying experience ... contrasted with the frustratingly absent panorama of city and sky you'd expect to see from within the Galleria because the thickness and placement of the curved beams conspires against it, maybe?

This does look nice and playful, while still looking sharp and modern.
I like the splashes of colour, and particularly love the use of wood and exposed concrete!

Back