Toronto Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning | ?m | 21s | Sick Kids | Diamond Schmitt

Haven't walked by this recently but I'm aware of at least a few labs that are moving into this building in August. I don't know when the first group is coming in, could be much sooner, but I suspect they want to get everyone settled before the new academic year.

I'm kind of curious what is going to happen to all that vacated space in MaRS-I but more interestingly Sick Kids hospital. I haven't heard whether they intend to keep that (poorly designed and outdated) lab space for research purposes or convert it for patient treatment.

12 May 2013: This thread is 7 years old! (I know someone who just turned 7...ha)

rps20130513002557.jpg

rps20130513002713.jpg

Haven't walked by this recently but I'm aware of at least a few labs that are moving into this building in August. I don't know when the first group is coming in, could be much sooner, but I suspect they want to get everyone settled before the new academic year.

I'm kind of curious what is going to happen to all that vacated space in MaRS-I but more interestingly Sick Kids hospital. I haven't heard whether they intend to keep that (poorly designed and outdated) lab space for research purposes or convert it for patient treatment.

Re: Vacated space in MaRS Toronto Medical Discovery Tower (five floors), it has been leased by other hospitals (well, by their research institutes) and by UofT.

Yes and I've heard rumors that Ryerson has bought some of the laboratory space within Sick Kids hospital and will start extensively renovating the space once the researchers currently occupying the space move into this building.

Yes and I've heard rumors that Ryerson has bought some of the laboratory space within Sick Kids hospital and will start extensively renovating the space once the researchers currently occupying the space move into this building.

That's an interesting rumour - but unlikely for a few reasons:

1. I can't see HSC selling physical space, which is always at an incredible premium in a hospital, to an external organization. If anything, I can see them leasing it to Ryerson. (As Toronto General does for the administrative offices for the Department of Medicine at UofT, for example.)

2. Ryerson doesn't have a prominent basic science (or pediatric) focus in medical research, so they have no reason to lease or purchase (and spend additional money converting or renovating) expensive laboratory space within a major paediatric healthcare institution. Unless they are converting it to administrative space - but even then, point 1 still stands, and why would they not simply lease existing office space somewhere and save themselves the renovation.

Last edited:
The interior spaces will certainly be quite interesting, especially the striking atria. Hopefully this building will be featured in upcoming Doors Opens.

As for the space in Sick kids i reckon it will be used to build new and expand current areas of the hospital, i also wonder what plans the hospital has for the University Wing.

Can not wait to see the inside of the Research tower, looking great from the outside.

Maybe, but it would take extensive (read: expensive) renovations to turn purpose built lab space into patient treatment space. Also, ripping out all the infrastructure for lab use seems like a big waste since it appears in demand.

I'm sure the inside of the this building will be quite nice, if CCBR (Donnelly Centre) and MaRS phase I are any indication.

Maybe, but it would take extensive (read: expensive) renovations to turn purpose built lab space into patient treatment space. Also, ripping out all the infrastructure for lab use seems like a big waste since it appears in demand.

Agreed, from what i last remember a large chunk of the Roy C Hill wing and University wing are empty (upper floor) with the exception of a few that are fully or just partly used. And over recent years it got more empty as some units renovated and moved to the Elm wing.

I would hate to see the old wings be torn down but if it means a nice expansion to the atrium i will settle with that. As it seems they are just getting more empty now.

It looks to me like a nice, futuristic looking attempt which just looks too clinical and sterile in person. The wavy windows do not in any way, help ameliorate the rudimentary look of the rest of the building.

These square, glass chunks are becoming too ubiquitous, regardless of whether it's the 'style' now to build utilitarian glass boxes.

I really hope Toronto moves away from glass and steel and spruces up our burgeoning skyline with some nice, natural stone or brick.

There are some people who don't like or agree with the term I coined, but I'm going to have to put this building, with its exposed vents, clinical colour and minimalinimalistic style in the category of: Futuristic Factory. I believe this building would benefit more along the strip of flaming factories in Hamilton.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back