Toronto Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning | ?m | 21s | Sick Kids | Diamond Schmitt

^ Well played sir!

On another note, didn't the original renderings show the curvy parts in various different shades of brightly colored glass? Like bright yellow and blue? Maybe it's my imagination. But I think that would look great.

Whoops! I was confused, and "whatever" is on the right track. Those individuals panels are "permanent", it's just that they are the inner layer of the double-light spandrel cladding which carries the colour. Their outer layers, which carry the horizontal frit pattern that create the bulk of the design, were broken in transport or during installation. So, those panels are to be repaired before the building is finished. They will blend with the surrounding glass at the end. Thanks to DH at DSAI for clearing that up!

Meanwhile, for those looking for something to happen to the big concrete portion of the north façade, some zinc-y goodness is coming. There's stone to come on the south façade too: basalt, if I remember correctly. Patience: it's still a year until this building opens!

Last edited:
Today: This eyesore has stopped soaring and is ready to be deboned:

147mj.jpg

The curved glass portion looks like the building's innards have prolapsed. Although the impression I have this week is odd, the eye is drawn to the unique attributes, and that's fantastic.

Back