Brampton Peel Memorial Hospital Phase 2 | 73.14m | 12s | HOK

I'm sending this to members of council and asking them why 250 (non-acute) beds and only able to scale up by 100 to 350 is adequate. By 2027 our population growth will offset per capita any percieved gains, we will be back to today's status quo of healthcare delivery and the Province refuses to discuss planning of a 3rd hospital. Isn't it it cheaper now to add a few more EMPTY floors like level 10 and scale up bed capacity as needed in the future? Brampton always getting shortchanged by the province. the community will most likely end up paying for equipment themselves like they did when scaling Brampton Civic hospital to 600+ beds over a decade.

The original renderings of a completed Peel Memorial below shows there's longterm plans for a potential phase 3 which could be decades out at the pace taken with phase 1/2.
I would hope it contains everything to make this site a standalone hospital without requiring to transfer patients with the shortchanged phase 2.
The city is open to scaling up the CFI nearby with more floors for a mix of tenants. We are being asked to contribute $125 Million towards the hospital construction on land we own, a much larger portion than Vaughan paid. if we need another $20 million raised by the city to add 3+ floors of beds I say we do it now while we can by extending the existing levy.

1686590535675.png

Folks, I need help understanding something.

Originally an Osler spokesperson claimed we would get 350 beds in total.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/hospital-levy-brampton-peel-memorial-1.6250638 View attachment 485523

Below:
The spaces in blue add up to 160 beds.
The shelled space beds add up to 96.

The total now is 256 beds? Is Brampton getting further shortchanged in the design phase?

Am I misunderstood?

View attachment 485524

I don't see any room for misunderstanding on your part. I too read the initial comment as build-out at 350 beds. A number which is clearly not possible within the proposed envelope.

Unless the intent is to add additional floors at a future time, I don't seen another way to square that circle.

Edit to add:

From the story you linked, the NDP MPP acting as critic of the announcement said this:

1686849887352.png

To me that doesn't jibe.

Hmmmm, from the project site:

1686850098490.png

Last edited:
There is a survey up on the project site:

Interesting opportunity for input. On behalf of my Brampton cousins, I have seen fit to indicate the need for greater capacity and a wider range of patient services, among other things.

They are also soliciting input on potential architectural treatments for the exterior, asking you to rank a number of images:

1686850960452.png

1686850981336.png

1686851006378.png

Yes, that is U of T's Donnelly Centre above.... LOL

1686851030615.png

1686851054962.png

I don't see any room for misunderstanding on your part. I too read the initial comment as build-out at 350 beds. A number which is clearly not possible within the proposed envelope.

Unless the intent is to add additional floors at a future time, I don't seen another way to square that circle.

Edit to add:

From the story you linked, the NDP MPP acting as critic of the announcement said this:

View attachment 485525

To me that doesn't jibe.

Hmmmm, from the project site:

View attachment 485527

That FAQ only raises more questions, I don't recall ever seeing a hospital in Ontario add extra floors to a tower in the near future to increase capacity after completion. Once you lay the last brick, it typically doesn't get any taller unless they're using vague responses for phase 3? Or they're repurposing the Urgent Care space at Phase 1 site to beds with the ER in the tower replacing it?

That FAQ only raises more questions, I don't recall ever seeing a hospital in Ontario add extra floors to a tower in the near future to increase capacity after completion. Once you lay the last brick, it typically doesn't get any taller unless they're using vague responses for phase 3? Or they're repurposing the Urgent Care space at Phase 1 site to beds with the ER in the tower replacing it?

I don't know much about the plans here, I expect @ShonTron might be better informed. I'm just good with google-fu, and I've seen a few of these projects over the years.

In terms of hospitals going up in height after initial completion. St. Mike's did that. I can't remember what the gap was, it was a few years to be sure.......but I can't recall if the gap was a decade or perhaps 2.

I don't see any accommodation in the plans to add more storeys afterwards. I believe there's a combination of confusion on the part of those reporting on this, and an attempt by the government to confuse in the first place, about what's being delivered here. The attempts to confuse include rounding numbers that shouldn't be rounded, and vague wording that is leading some to believe a 350 bed total, and not the 160 bed total that the hospital is designed to open with, plus the "shelled" space (that will be constructed but not kitted out) for 96 more beds until some time in the future. Yikes.

The latest report coming to the next Planning and Development Committee now indicates 250 inpatient beds and 96 post-acute beds.

The new Peel Memorial Hospital Phase 2 facility will be a detached complex from Phase 1 with connecting links between the two buildings.

Details of the proposal are as follows:
250 inpatient care beds;
96 post-acute beds;
4 levels of underground sub-structure serving hospital operations and support needs;
120 above-ground parking spaces; 235 underground parking spaces; 1,199 total parking spaces shared between Phase 1 and Phase 2;
At-grade outdoor public plazas along Lynch St.;
Total Gross Floor Area (GFA) of 68,371.7 square metres (735,947.1 square feet) and an approximate Floor Space Index (FSI) of 1.08;
A total of approximately 1,387 square metres (14,930 square feet) of at-gradeamenity space and 1,944 square metres (20,925 square feet) of total roof top amenity area is proposed. Multiple outdoor cascading terraces on all floors with larger outdoor amenity areas proposed on Level 1 and a roof garden;
A temporary fire access and bus route is proposed for the duration of the construction, which will also serve as the access to a new surface parking area;
The main public entrance to the Phase 2 building will be on Lynch Street.
The John Street frontage is the anticipated location of the emergency entrance and drop-off. The existing Centre Street access to Phase 1 will be maintained. This access will continue to serve the back of house operational needs of both phases.

This one has been the subject of some confusion over current/future height, and the latest docs linked by @ShonTron do little to change that, LOL

They clearly proposed a 12-storey building; but the Zoning By-law clearly says 14 storeys Max.

Hmmm.

This one has been the subject of some confusion over current/future height, and the latest docs linked by @ShonTron do little to change that, LOL

They clearly proposed a 12-storey building; but the Zoning By-law clearly says 14 storeys Max.

Hmmm.
As a Zoning application, it looks like they are asking for allowable space, even if it's not all built initially. The 250 bed number would also cover eventual build-out, even if not all of the beds are there when the building opens. It could still just be 160 beds, with future space just "shelled" waiting for more funding, and/or a potential 2-storey extension up top.

Unless we also hear about funding increases, I wouldn't expect more building to be built.

Back