News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 660     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 305     0 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

Put them on the next flight back :). Fair enough, it started to make sense once I stopped and actually thought the process through.

Once cleared into Canada though the passenger shouldn't have to exit the secure area just so that they can take the terminal link to the next terminal.

voltz explained a logistical problem created if you allowed people to connect before clearing customs.....but I do not think that is the core reason.

by making that passenger from Abu Dhabi clear customs in Toronto rather than after they move on to Winnipeg....it is a lot easier to get people out of the country if they are trying to enter illegally than it would be from Winnipeg.
Yes, @Voltz stated the core reason.

Toronto to Winnipeg is a domestic flight: no-one on it clears customs and immigration when it lands.

If we were to mix domestic passengers with international passengers, when the plane lands in Winnipeg would you a) have customs officials with passenger manifests show up and lead international passengers off the plane first to a secure area while domestic passengers wait, or b) would you ask international passengers to just go on their own to customs and immigration when they arrived?

One thing I've wondered about Canadian airports is why we bother with the separate, upstairs pathway for arriving international passengers. In much of (Schengen) Europe, they take a much simpler approach: you exit the plane right into the regular departures concourse, mixing with departing international passengers, and if you want to exit -- IE, are not connecting to another international flight -- there's a customs checkpoint on that same level to do so. Both YYZ and YVR have very elaborate and presumably costly systems of overhead walkways to avoid this.

I guess the big obstacle in Canada is that we still don't allow fully sterile connections, whereby someone connecting from (for example) Paris to Mexico City via Pearson wouldn't clear Canadian customs at all, even at the little mini-check as currently set up. This is a big item on the wishlist of YYZ management, I am sure.

One thing I've wondered about Canadian airports is why we bother with the separate, upstairs pathway for arriving international passengers. In much of (Schengen) Europe, they take a much simpler approach: you exit the plane right into the regular departures concourse, mixing with departing international passengers, and if you want to exit -- IE, are not connecting to another international flight -- there's a customs checkpoint on that same level to do so. Both YYZ and YVR have very elaborate and presumably costly systems of overhead walkways to avoid this.

I guess the big obstacle in Canada is that we still don't allow fully sterile connections, whereby someone connecting from (for example) Paris to Mexico City via Pearson wouldn't clear Canadian customs at all, even at the little mini-check as currently set up. This is a big item on the wishlist of YYZ management, I am sure.

I believe there are a variety of reasons why they don't allow mixing of passengers for international flights. This is similar to what I've seen in airports like in Hong Kong and Tokyo.

For customs reasons, it can prevent an arriving passenger handing an item (i.e. box of drugs) to another departing passenger. Or even passport swaps inside the "mixed" terminal. Preventing arriving passengers from buying duty free, etc etc.

Another reason might be to require the arriving passengers that are connecting to reclear security so they meet Canadian standards for departing flights rather than simply "trusting" the authorities in the departure city.

Schengen isn't exactly an international flight though is it? Isn't that kind of, sort of, a group of countries with shared security procedures. So wouldn't a flight between Schengen be treated much more like a domestic flight than an transborder/international flight? Ex. Milan's Terminal 1A handles domestic and Schengen flights (thus showing a Schengen flight is treated like domestic flights), while Terminal 1B and 1C share non Schengen and international (intercontinental) flights.

So I guess we would have to know for sure how international arrivals are handled. Are they intermixed with departing passengers or segregated. I would assume that they do not.

YYZ (2015) +6.4%: 41,036,847

Domestic: +4.4%
Transborder: +6.2%
International: +8.9% (!)

Air Canada is definitely hitting the targets required in their commercial arrangement with Toronto Pearson. It's exciting to see some solid numbers for a Canadian airport, and growth in foreign carriers and capacity to the city. Definitely some interesting new tails coming this year.

YYZ (2015) +6.4%: 41,036,847

Domestic: +4.4%
Transborder: +6.2%
International: +8.9% (!)

Air Canada is definitely hitting the targets required in their commercial arrangement with Toronto Pearson. It's exciting to see some solid numbers for a Canadian airport, and growth in foreign carriers and capacity to the city. Definitely some interesting new tails coming this year.

And movements only increased by 2% (2.5% for terminal movements)
http://www.torontopearson.com/en/gtaa/statistics/#

When Pearson updates the Master Plan it will be interesting to see what the vision is like with the increased number of passengers per movement. Means lower runway needs and lower number of gates and increased security, seating and shopping compared to the original plan.

It also may mean the ability to handle an increased volume of people (I believe that aircraft movements is the main constraint) with the proper redesign of T1.

I'm guessing that Pier G will be substantially the same (with the addition of a couple of Airbus A380 slots at the hammerhead). Pier H and I will have to be substantially redesigned to reduce the number of smaller plane slots (maybe eliminating Pier I altogether). The bigger changes will be in the main building with the increased need for more check-in locations, security, baggage, etc. Will there be enough room in the current proposed building footprint? How will they fit it all in AND add retail like a lot of other airports are doing?

I hope these questions are being reckoned with sooner rather than later, and that construction starts on the new pier soon.

I find the hammerhead international gates are getting extremely crowded at peak hours, ie when European departures are at their peak from about 6-9 pm. This has gotten noticeably worse the last few years; there's really nowhere for the volumes of people to line up in anything like an orderly fashion. With several more years of growth it could get ugly.

The (necessary) addition of better dining and retail options hasn't helped, as it really crowds what's actually not that big a space.

At the rate things are going, I wouldn't be totally shocked to see the new pier dedicated entirely to international flights, with the hammerhead converted for US departures. There'd have to be a bit of surgery with the pre-clearance zone but I'm sure it's doable.

It will be interesting to see how that does affect the next master plan. Moving to larger planes and all. The new runway 5R/23L might be postponed. New terminal piers need to accommodate larger number of passengers in the waiting area. I agree with you on the International area in the Hammerhead. Seems they have stuffed too much retail in there and not given room for the volume of people waiting there.

G.S.MTL provided this great visual recap of the S16 season at Pearson. Looking good! To note: the amount of non-stop destinations is staggering. Aside from NYC, I can't think of a better connected North American city.

YYZ.png

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=7352997&postcount=2845

The list of direct flights from YYZ is way more than what's listed here. All the domestic and international flights to US are missing as are some international flights like Warsaw, Kiev, Helsinki, Moscow to name just a few.

G.S.MTL provided this great visual recap of the S16 season at Pearson. Looking good! To note: the amount of non-stop destinations is staggering. Aside from NYC, I can't think of a better connected North American city.
I'm not sure if all those flights at non-stop. The TAM flight to Sao Paulo makes a stop at JFK.

Back