News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

Don't believe you. Especially not on landing. If you had said on take off, maybe. I'm out at the airport around that area once or twice a week. No issues with not being able to talk while planes pass overhead at all. None whatsoever.

Even Toronto Pearson accepts that most noise is generated on landing vs take off. Planes are slowing down, dropping flaps, slowly descending, and lined up in a row. Compare that to take off where engines might be near max power, but are generally climbing much faster than they descend and often make a turn to their direction of travel fairly quickly after takeoff.

I'm surprised anyone would accuse someone about lying over such an innocuous observation. It's not like I only noticed it on one occasion. And I was quite surprised it's noticeable that far west. Though some days seemed worse than others.

In these parts, you're only allowed to say that the Island Airport makes noise. Nobody cares about noise affecting people in Rexdale, Malton, Mississauga. After all, they bought near an airport. They should have known there was going to be noise there.

I don't get people who say there's not that much noise in Mississauga. There are signs about aircraft noise all over Brampton and Mississauga. You'd have to be both blind and deaf not to notice.

In these parts, you're only allowed to say that the Island Airport makes noise. Nobody cares about noise affecting people in Rexdale, Malton, Mississauga. After all, they bought near an airport. They should have known there was going to be noise there.

I don't get people who say there's not that much noise in Mississauga. There are signs about aircraft noise all over Brampton and Mississauga. You'd have to be both blind and deaf not to notice.

I don't know about 'allowed' but in the case of Pearson, people took the existing noise level into the bargain. It would only be an issue if the number of flights dramatically increased and/or additional runways were proposed.

The noise issue with the island involves the use of a different type of aircraft.

I don't know about 'allowed' but in the case of Pearson, people took the existing noise level into the bargain. It would only be an issue if the number of flights dramatically increased and/or additional runways were proposed.

The noise issue with the island involves the use of a different type of aircraft.

You mean like the addition of a new 06/24 runway in the late 90's and the planned addition of a new 05-23 runway in the coming years? Or the new "Super Jumbo" type of A380 aircraft. Than yes Pearson has stood frozen in time while everyone else is having changes forced upon them.

You mean like the addition of a new 06/24 runway in the late 90's and the planned addition of a new 05-23 runway in the coming years? Or the new "Super Jumbo" type of A380 aircraft. Than yes Pearson has stood frozen in time while everyone else is having changes forced upon them.

Were there protests about those runways? Is the A380 significantly noisier than other jets?

The new runway is indefinitely on hold. The GTAA confirmed it is not on their 10-year radar. Capacity increase has been handled by existing facilities as airlines are flying bigger, fuller planes.

Only Emirates flies the A380 to Pearson, and that's only 3x a week. The plane itself isn't any noisier than many existing jets flying to the airport.

Were there protests about those runways? Is the A380 significantly noisier than other jets?

I'm sure there were, that's not the point. You said those living near Pearson bought with the airport as "part of the bargin" as if the island airport was covered by an invisibility shield when all the waterfront residents were moving in. You don't think that was part of the "bargin" as well? Then you said that "it would only be an issue if the number of flights increased dramatically or additional runways proposed". Well Pearson has added at least on runway in the last 20 years, with another on the books ready to go when needed. Furthermore it saw 352,000 aircraft in 1990, and 434,644 aircraft in 2014, an increase of nearly 25%.

The point isn't who has a right to complain about which airport, it's what's fair. Both have been in existence for 70+ years, it's not fair to say to a Mississauga, or Rexdale resident "too bad you bought near an airport, sucks to be you" while at the same time wanting to shut the island airport down. Don't you see the double standard?

I'm sure there were, that's not the point. You said those living near Pearson bought with the airport as "part of the bargin" as if the island airport was covered by an invisibility shield when all the waterfront residents were moving in. You don't think that was part of the "bargin" as well? Then you said that "it would only be an issue if the number of flights increased dramatically or additional runways proposed". Well Pearson has added at least on runway in the last 20 years, with another on the books ready to go when needed. Furthermore it saw 352,000 aircraft in 1990, and 434,644 aircraft in 2014, an increase of nearly 25%.

The point isn't who has a right to complain about which airport, it's what's fair. Both have been in existence for 70+ years, it's not fair to say to a Mississauga, or Rexdale resident "too bad you bought near an airport, sucks to be you" while at the same time wanting to shut the island airport down. Don't you see the double standard?

I'm not saying that one or the other group doesn't have a right to complain. I think it's been less of an issue with residents near Pearson because the changes relative to the size of the airport and its surroundings have not been comparable to what was proposed for Billy Bishop. There have also been people who wanted to shut the island airport down even without jets, with or without eviction of the island residents.

I'm not saying that one or the other group doesn't have a right to complain. I think it's been less of an issue with residents near Pearson because the changes relative to the size of the airport and its surroundings have not been comparable to what was proposed for Billy Bishop.

What does size have to do with anything? The Georgetown South corridor is one of the widest rail corridors in the city outside of the Union Station corridor, yet we still had Weston residents protesting an increase in traffic in that corridor.

It's less of an issue with Pearson because residents have come to accept the airport as their neighbor, something few waterfront residents do.

There have also been people who wanted to shut the island airport down even without jets, with or without eviction of the island residents.

And those people could care less where the flights that were at the island airport go to as long as it's Not In My (Their) Backyard.

What does size have to do with anything? The Georgetown South corridor is one of the widest rail corridors in the city outside of the Union Station corridor, yet we still had Weston residents protesting an increase in traffic in that corridor.

It's less of an issue with Pearson because residents have come to accept the airport as their neighbor, something few waterfront residents do.

And those people could care less where the flights that were at the island airport go to as long as it's Not In My (Their) Backyard.

What Porter wanted for the island airport would have had a much bigger impact on its environment and operations, even accounting for the difference in size, than might conceivably happen with Pearson.

Where Weston is concerned, people objected to the increase in volume (in both senses of the word) without always knowing what was actually involved.

It was easy for people to call for the island airport to be gone because it was small and the impact of an airport in a built-up urban area can easily be spun in terms of safety and livability. That's not the case with Pearson.

I don't know that acceptance of the island airport was that black and white among waterfront residents. There was a fair bit of Not In Those Poor People's Backyard, They Need Our Help in the opposition, particularly with CommunityAIR representing some people whose only connection to the waterfront was being members of a yacht club.

When it does substantial damage to a strategic private sector? Yes. This is Canada. Aviation is strategically vital to our national survival, given our geography and population distribution. In my most humble opinion, you will not see any government put in billions of taxpayer dollars that threatens to both harm a vital private sector industry, only to then create further liabilities for taxpayers.

I could be wrong, but I just can't see it happening.
Aviation is strategically important to the country as a whole, but not between the major cities of the Windsor-Quebec corridor. Or at least it doesn’t have to be. There’s no reason for flying to be the main way to travel between cities so close together.

This is not a relevant comparison or choice. Government has an obligation to provide services to Sudbury. Full stop. By your rationale, we could save billions by abandoning cost-ineffective services to most remote communities and first nations reserves. We don't do that, because we've accepted as a society that we will support the services and infrastructure they need.

The actual choice is between supporting $2 billion in highway expansion to London or $2 billion in rail improvements to London. And on that front, nobody is going to argue with you. Neither is the government actually. Who has actually the pitched the most recent study, as an alternative to 401 expansion.

HSR is mostly competing with air. Not road. We're talking about investing $3-4 billion for VIA's most recent proposal vs. $20 billion for HSR. At that point, how much additional traffic are you taking off the road, and how much economic benefits are accumulated, over and above the $3 billion spent on VIA's proposal?
Serving Sudbury and building a freeway to Sudbury aren’t the same thing. Freeways to such small, isolated cities are very rare outside of two countries in North America. The reason I mentioned it is because if we didn’t build unnecessary remote freeways we’d have more money for more worthy rail projects. In other words, putting a higher percentage of our spending into rail and a lower percentage into roads, like most countries do. It doesn't have to be at the expense of urban transit. But you’re right that 401 expansion is an alternative to the KW-London HSR specifically.

High speed rail competes with road just as much as air, as evidenced by the modal split figures in Spain.

And that's exactly what we'll be getting. Unless the private sector steps up, our governments will not put in $20 billion for HSR. Mark my words. That's because the opportunity cost is huge. For $10 billion, the feds could pay for all of VIA's plans and the entire GO RER build out and still have enough money left over for half the transit projects in the country during their first term. That benefits a multitude more people than HSR.

Think of this debate as the regional version of subway vs. LRT.

VIA's own CEO has argued against HSR, dismissing the business case and the marginal utility of spending over and above his $4B propoosal. I just can't see the government overruling him to spend tens of billions more. And all to compete with Air Canada and Westjet?
Well the private sector paying part of the cost is exactly what was expected in previous studies. It’s also part of VIA Rail’s latest plan to build their own corridor. But for the private sector to bother stepping up the process has to proceed to a further point than yet another feasibility study. And you’re right that HSR isn’t very likely for the whole corridor, but this brings me back to my original point. If we’re looking to manage the demand for new and expanded airports then HSR can play a key role.

VIA's CEO would probably defend VIA's bizarre cattle car loading process. I'd take what he says with a grain of salt. VIA used to advocate for HSR until they realized their energy was better spent advocating for something more realistic, like what they're planning now. If their current proposal gets built you can bet they will push for more upgrades.

You really should check out Air France's air-rail integration. It's not even as you describe it. Air France hasn't stopped regional flying completely. It's just offloaded low demand destinations to the TGV. Look at Paris-Lyon (comparable to say Toronto-Ottawa in distance). There's still 5 flights a day. Or Paris-Marseille (comparable to Toronto-Quebec City in distance) with 6 flights a day. Air France isn't moving you to those destinations by train. They are moving you by train, if you have to go to Nantes, Angers, etc. In the Canadian context, this would be the equivalent of dropping flights to Kingston, London, Kitchener-Waterloo. If we're talking about cutting flights to low demand Corridor destinations, then I agree, it's going to move to rail. But then this is a likely outcome whether we have true HSR or just really good long-distance rail like VIA's CEO is proposing. Simply offering more frequencies, with a stop at the airport would accomplish this. There's already plenty of people who drive from London to Pearson for flights. Simply having regularly hourly or bi-hourly service would move both the road and air traffic to rail. You don't need HSR per se. You just need a reasonably frequent service that drops you off at the airport, not downtown.

Essentially, the only flights likely to be offloaded by AC to rail would be Toronto-London, Toronto-Kingston, Ottawa-Montreal, Quebec City-Montreal, and possibly Quebec City-Ottawa, and Toronto-Windsor. But again, you don't need HSR for this. Just a regular rail service from Pearson. And unless you get the higher end of HSR service, Air Canada and Westjet, are probably still likely to have hourly service or least bi-hourly service to Montreal and Ottawa from Toronto. They are just likely to do it on smaller regional jets than large narrowbodies and occassional widebodies like they do today, with a a few less peak shoulder frequencies.

So is any of this enough to build a business case for HSR. We are talking about going from $4 billion to $20 billion. There's a lot you can do with that extra $16 billion. Even in transportation. I can't see the point in spending $16 billion just to kill Toronto-Ottawa, and Toronto-Montreal flights. I'd rather the government spend $4 billion and get me good solid VIA rail service (closer to VIA Fast), and then put that $16 billion building transit everywhere in the country. That would do more for the environment and the economy.

I did check out Air France’s air-rail integration. Here's their website on the topic. They quite clearly do move people to Lyon on the train. In fact, if I plan a trip there on Air France’s website, many of the options include a train from de Gaulle to Lyon - something like a dozen daily trains to choose from. Same goes for Brussels, Strasbourg, Lille, etc. Basically every city served by the TGV within 500 km of Paris that would use de Gaulle as a hub.

Only 5 flights a day serving a route similar to Toronto-Ottawa? That's cute. Air Canada alone has 16 daily flights to Ottawa and 21 to Montreal. If you include Westjet and Porter those numbers go up to 37 and 47. 5 flights a day would be a big drop in traffic.

And as for the TGV struggling, yes airlines will always compete with the train. But the TGV is still making an 8.1% profit despite aggressive expansion (does that figure include commuters carried on the TGV? I genuinely don't know). And they have created a low cost service to compete with the cheap airlines.

Is high speed rail required? Probably not, but it would attract a lot more riders and shift transportation patterns a lot more than the VIA proposal. That said, the VIA proposal is a good start and I hope it gets built in some form. Even taking just an hour off the trip to Montreal could steal a not insignificant amount of business from the airlines.

Last edited:
What Porter wanted for the island airport would have had a much bigger impact on its environment and operations, even accounting for the difference in size, than might conceivably happen with Pearson.
How? Are the aircraft landing at the Island somehow MORE polluting or MORE noisy than those landing at Pearson. How does an airport that sees one quarter of the aircraft traffic that Pearson does have a much bigger impact on the environment? I remind you that the Etobicoke creek area is just as ecologically sensitive as the water front.

Where Weston is concerned, people objected to the increase in volume (in both senses of the word) without always knowing what was actually involved.

How much disclosure is required. There were EA's, Public Information Centres, input from residents and changes as a result of that input. You make it sound like this was done cloak and dagger behind closed doors.

It was easy for people to call for the island airport to be gone because it was small and the impact of an airport in a built-up urban area can easily be spun in terms of safety and livability. That's not the case with Pearson.

I don't know that acceptance of the island airport was that black and white among waterfront residents. There was a fair bit of Not In Those Poor People's Backyard, They Need Our Help in the opposition, particularly with CommunityAIR representing some people whose only connection to the waterfront was being members of a yacht club.

Sounds like it was more about people wanting to use the yacht club without aircraft overhead then a "those poor people have to deal with this". I wonder where these yacht club members live, after all the waterfront area is actually quite well off.

Anyway I see we are not going to change each others opinions. Moving on.

Aviation is strategically important to the country as a whole, but not between the major cities of the Windsor-Quebec corridor. Or at least it doesn’t have to be. There’s no reason for flying to be the main way to travel between cities so close together.

I did check out Air France’s air-rail integration. Here's their website on the topic. They quite clearly do move people to Lyon on the train. In fact, if I plan a trip there on Air France’s website, many of the options include a train from de Gaulle to Lyon - something like a dozen daily trains to choose from. Same goes for Brussels, Strasbourg, Lille, etc. Basically every city served by the TGV within 500 km of Paris that would use de Gaulle as a hub.
Only 5 flights a day serving a route similar to Toronto-Ottawa? That's cute. Air Canada alone has 16 daily flights to Ottawa and 21 to Montreal. If you include Westjet and Porter those numbers go up to 37 and 47. 5 flights a day would be a big drop in traffic.

Like I've said earlier, you'll see a lot of direct o/d traffic move to rail. Even without HSR. You just a service that is reasonably fast downtown-to-downtown with a reasonable fare and a regular (hourly during the day) schedule. And I've also said, you'll see the airlines cut shoulder schedules. But I'm not inclined to believe that you'll see 37 flights go down to half a dozen. Even with HSR. For a few reasons. First, all rail building is focused on downtown-to-downtown travel. Merely having to transfer at Union, will kill a lot of the time savings and convenience of using long distance rail to get to Pearson. Second, is scheduling. Air Canada runs hourly daytime schedules to Ottawa and Montreal because it provides options to business travellers transfering to long-haul. You will not see this change. Unless you can get rail that's time-competitive to Pearson and has a similar schedule to air service today. How much would it cost to get that kind of rail service? Finally, there's cost. Air France is allowed to put a train between Paris and London and make money selling tickets. If we don't allow that for AC, why would they change their business model? And if that rail ticket costs nearly as much as air fare, it's far more efficient for the airline to have the customer processed in Ottawa or Montreal and shuttled by air to Pearson.

Now, none of that means that rail won't steal a good chunk between Toronto-Ottawa and Toronto-Montreal and particularly Ottawa-Montreal. I can see most o/d traffic moving to rail. I think Porter's business case for Ottawa and Montreal will be dramatically diminished. They'll have to become more focused on the US and Northern Ontario.

One huge issue, that you forget about too is cost. More specifically, who bears the cost. From a govermental perspective, it's a no-brainer to expand an airport, because the government isn't paying for it! The passengers pay for airport development and expansions. Rail on the other hand, means billions in government expenditure, and the real risk that profits might not materialize and subsidies will be needed to maintain service.

Serving Sudbury and building a freeway to Sudbury aren’t the same thing. Freeways to such small, isolated cities are very rare outside of two countries in North America. The reason I mentioned it is because if we didn’t build unnecessary remote freeways we’d have more money for more worthy rail projects. In other words, putting a higher percentage of our spending into rail and a lower percentage into roads, like most countries do. It doesn't have to be at the expense of urban transit. But you’re right that 401 expansion is an alternative to the KW-London HSR specifically.

Good luck selling that message and trying to form government. No party is going to win running on a platform that tells northern Ontario that no infrastructure spending is warranted in their direction. That freeway to Sudbury is as valuable to them as the HSR you want in Southern Ontario. And it's simply potlitically unfeasible to push deliberate spending restrictions on rural areas to boost spending on inter-city rail that runs through their backyards. It's just not going to fly. The sooner we accept that, the sooner we can work around it. This is not just for HSR. Goes for all the urban transit we want too.

Well the private sector paying part of the cost is exactly what was expected in previous studies. It’s also part of VIA Rail’s latest plan to build their own corridor. But for the private sector to bother stepping up the process has to proceed to a further point than yet another feasibility study. And you’re right that HSR isn’t very likely for the whole corridor, but this brings me back to my original point. If we’re looking to manage the demand for new and expanded airports then HSR can play a key role.

VIA's CEO would probably defend VIA's bizarre cattle car loading process. I'd take what he says with a grain of salt. VIA used to advocate for HSR until they realized their energy was better spent advocating for something more realistic, like what they're planning now. If their current proposal gets built you can bet they will push for more upgrades.

Paying for a study or even contributing to a $4 billion rail plan is one thing. Contributing to a $20 billion HSR plan is another matter entirely. And the private sector has never said they'll sign up for that. They'll sign up to build it and run it. They won't sign up to finance it. And that's the sticking point. No government is going to want to fund the $16 billion between VIA's current proposal and full HSR. Especially not when that $16 billion buys them so much public transit throughout the country. I'm not even sure, the public would support that. Especially when they know that it's $16 billion less for everything else. This is why I fully agree with VIA's CEO pushing an incremental approach. Far easier to sell HSR when the public is already relying on regular train service. It just sucks that his incremental approach may mean it's 20-30 years before we see real HSR.

High speed rail competes with road just as much as air, as evidenced by the modal split figures in Spain.

Only when subsidized and when gas prices are very high. What would fares be in Spain when you include all construction costs (like we would have to)? And how would that compete in a country where gas is $1/L and free parking is still available in many places?

And as for the TGV struggling, yes airlines will always compete with the train. But the TGV is still making an 8.1% profit despite aggressive expansion (does that figure include commuters carried on the TGV? I genuinely don't know). And they have created a low cost service to compete with the cheap airlines.

Profits in these cases are particularly sketch because the accounting rarely books construction costs completely. There's no way that kind of accounting would be allowed here. Which is what makes the sales pitch for full HSR difficult. And it gets even more challenging in the Canadian context where aviation pays for its own infrastructure. Airport expansion is essentially free and even profitable to government. Should the govenrment insist on pushing HSR, you can bet the airlines will be asking for airport rents to be cancelled. Is the government willing to give up $1b in annual revenue to incur $20 billion in capital expenditure?

Is high speed rail required? Probably not, but it would attract a lot more riders and shift transportation patterns a lot more than the VIA proposal. That said, the VIA proposal is a good start and I hope it gets built in some form. Even taking just an hour off the trip to Montreal could steal a not insignificant amount of business from the airlines.

I would love to have HSR. Honestly, would love to have it. And I'd be cheering if Trudeau announced it tomorrow. However, I've just comes to see less of a business case for it, when the difference in cost (between VIA Fast and full HSR) is so huge and opportunity cost is even bigger. For $20 billion, you could have VIA FAST, the DRL, every LRT planned in Toronto and GO RER. And honestly, VIA Fast is good enough. 2.5 hrs Toronto-Ottawa downtown-to-downtown is competitive with air from Pearson and the Island. 3.5 hrs Toronto-Montreal is only slightly slower than downtown-to-downtown from Pearson. And just 1 hr slower than Porter. Depending on cost, there will be enough traffic swayed.

I am going to bet that VIA Fast will be announced in the new year (by March) and that the feds will call it "high speed" because it's faster than what's there today.

We shouldn't forget the distributional impacts of HSR. The main market for HSR is between downtown Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal. The user base for these services will skew heavily to high income business travellers. Lower income travellers commute less frequently between those destinations in the first place and, when they do, are less likely to live close to the downtown stations (reducing some of the travel time advantages/their propensity to use HSR).

That high income users will benefit from a service should hardly preclude it, but from a basic equity perspective there is something troubling about a country where most people don't even have reliable bus service channeling tens of billions into servicing the most wealthy and privileged.

Back