Toronto Parliament Street Data Centre | ?m | 5s | BRL Realty | WZMH

July 19, 2013:

Above: Removal of the gasometer foundation wall begins.

Above: A large sheet of metal siding is unearthed by the excavator. Could this be a remnant of an earlier gasometer from the 1880`s...

very cool thread. Do the workers in these excavators need to wear respirators or special breathing filters given the likely fumes in this excavation?

very cool thread. Do the workers in these excavators need to wear respirators or special breathing filters given the likely fumes in this excavation?
Sometimes when walking past one sees workers with respirators - around their necks! I have never actually seen anyone wearing one properly but I suspect that would only happen in the pit or on the excavators so would be hard to see from the street.

They are having a big concrete pour 'as we speak' for the base of the crane and have been busily boring foundation holes (piles?) for several weeks. I think this one will go up quite fast as it is, I think, a fairly simple design, not very deep or very tall and they apparently have a client urgently in need of the space.

They are having a big concrete pour 'as we speak' for the base of the crane and have been busily boring foundation holes (piles?) for several weeks. I think this one will go up quite fast as it is, I think, a fairly simple design, not very deep or very tall and they apparently have a client urgently in need of the space.

They place a fair depth of gavel on the bottom of the hole some weeks ago and must have to do with the water table.

Its been ready for the crane some time.

Photos of the preparation for the crane:

September 25, 2013:

September 30, 2013:

Crane is installed - Sept. 30, 2013:

5 December 2013
q24s.jpg

Does anyone know anything about the plans for the rest of the site (right at the corner, where the blue former library office currently sits)?

Does anyone know anything about the plans for the rest of the site (right at the corner, where the blue former library office currently sits)?
The whole site was swapped with the City for the First Parliament site across the road and the general opinion is that the new owners (the Bresler family) will build a condo on the site of the library building - they are still there but are moving out in the next few months.

How can they pour concrete when it's cold like that if there's no way to shelter it after?

They use add-mixtures that cause the concrete to cure quickly, which also causes the chemical process to release heat more rapidly - essentially condensing the curing process. In addition, the level below is tarped off to contain heat, and propane heaters are putting out thousands of BTU's of heat to the underside of the slab.

Last edited:

Back