Mississauga Parkside Village Residences | 135.93m | 45s | Amacon | Richmond Architects

the agent sales event is scheduled for 5:00pm, Tuesday, June 24th....I guess the sales office finally opens that day...

drove by the sales office at 5:30pm....the sales event is taking place, and there are a lot of agents onsite...parking lot is full, and they have opened up the field behind for parking - there appear to be about 100 cars there...

looks like the launch of phase 1 of Mississauga's biggest-ever project is on! :)

the whole project will easily be built.

There is a lot of interest in Mississauga about the new city centre.

the whole project will easily be built.

There is a lot of interest in Mississauga about the new city centre.

Well with gas prices at record highs and increasing traffic, the suburban dream life is no longer a dream. People are rushing back to urban life and MCC will continue to grow thanks to that. Gas prices might slow the sales of detached homes, but I think the condo boom is going to be fueled by the prices.

I hope the condo boom continues so that this whole thing gets built. But we must be in for a slowdown soon.

We're already in a slowdown. The amount of new condos that have been introduced so far in 2008 is definitely less than in 2007 at this time.

Sales are much slower in the condo sector this year. Sales in MCC dropped substantially last year - which is why there haven't been many new project openings in MCC in 2007 or 2008, whereas there was a flurry of activity in 2005 & 2006.

Sales dropped substantially with the two tallest towers selling out in record time?
Maybe if you count house sales in with condos then I'd understand...

Less condos have been introduced, but look at the amount of land left in city centre for condos. Most of it belongs to either Daniels or Amacon. Once projects like widesuites and ultra ovation are done, MCC will be pretty much left with Daniels and Amacon. Both will probably release one building at a time.

There is a slowdown, but I dont think its the markets at fault... its the lack of opportunity for new players that is causing a slowdown in MCC. There are still other condo projects going up outside of MCC.

Sales are much slower in the condo sector this year. Sales in MCC dropped substantially last year - which is why there haven't been many new project openings in MCC in 2007 or 2008, whereas there was a flurry of activity in 2005 & 2006.

Mike, I'm not sure to what extent that is so in the MCC district. I don't have statistics for individual projects, but projects which were in sales during 2007 included Onyx, Ovation and Ultra Ovation, the Eden Park / Eve / Elle complex, Wide Suites, One Park, Chicago, and two towers at Absolute. Of course several of these started sales in 2006, but I understand 2007 sales were pretty brisk at some of these, particularly Chicago and the Absolute complex.

I strongly suspect that Parkside sales would have started sooner if it was any builder other than Amacon. Their focus was on the Eden Park complex until quite recently.

Having said that, looking at the larger picture, sales are certainly slowing in most of Mississauga outside the City Centre. Word on the street is that Pemberton's "Papillon" complex in Erin Mills is running well behind original projections. They have finally started sales on the third tower, but I think the original projection had been to have all four sold by about now.

Who's brilliant idea was it to build condos next to ERIN MILLS TOWN CENTRE!?!? It must be a Cadillac Fairview scheme to get more cusomters to go to EMTC instead of Square One.

Mike, I'm not sure to what extent that is so in the MCC district. I don't have statistics for individual projects, but projects which were in sales during 2007 included Onyx, Ovation and Ultra Ovation, the Eden Park / Eve / Elle complex, Wide Suites, One Park, Chicago, and two towers at Absolute. Of course several of these started sales in 2006, but I understand 2007 sales were pretty brisk at some of these, particularly Chicago and the Absolute complex.

I don't have the specific MCC numbers with me at the moment, but I'm fairly certain MCC did not enjoy the same record sales activity that most of the GTA did in 2007. Both Tridel and Daniels as well as Davies Smith had slower sales absorbsion rates then back in 2006. Also psf growth stalled in MCC, whereas in most other areas of the GTA there were some fairly substantial increases. Obviously Fernbrook and Cityzen did well with the two Absolute World towers, but there has been a definite slowdown in terms of sales activity... I'm not suggesting things have fallen off a cliff, just that sales have slowed over the past year or so. That being said, sales have slowed in virtually all GTA submarkets over the past few months.

Tuscani01 said:
Less condos have been introduced, but look at the amount of land left in city centre for condos. Most of it belongs to either Daniels or Amacon. Once projects like widesuites and ultra ovation are done, MCC will be pretty much left with Daniels and Amacon. Both will probably release one building at a time.

There is still a decent inventory of land in MCC, but costs have escalated for land and materials and development charges are on the rise again which is tightening margins. The issue is more that some developers are looking for opportunities elsewhere.

Who's brilliant idea was it to build condos next to ERIN MILLS TOWN CENTRE!?!? It must be a Cadillac Fairview scheme to get more cusomters to go to EMTC instead of Square One.

It's actually a good idea to increase the density adjacent to the mall, which has been only moderately successful since it opened many years ago. There is also a modern community centre / library right across the street. It's served by three or four bus routes. It would be an ideal location for a "node" with much higher density. Unfortunately it has been pretty slow coming.

Well its a popular trend in the Toronto area.

To build high rises near the mall.

I always wonder why they don't build more apartment buildings near the Bramalea city Centre as those buildings are still in a great condition and have not become an area of crime at all.
The traffic is not that bad either.

From the Post:

Mississauga bucks trend with new digs
Parkside Village; 'People were standing out in the rain for them'

Brianna Goldberg, National Post
Published: Thursday, July 03, 2008

There may be rumours of a condo slowdown in urban Toronto, but just west of the city a new demand for urban-style projects is changing the skyline and the landscape.

Last week, Amacon developers released both of its new buildings as part of the Parkside Village project in what it says is an "unprecedented move" to sate the appetite for urban living in Mississauga.

"Amacon saw overwhelming response from VIP registrants and so they released both buildings at the same time," said Debbie Cosic, sales broker for Parkside Village at In2ition Realty.

"People were standing out in the rain waiting for them," she said of the 36-storey Residences at Parkside Village and the 45-storey Grand Residences that became available last week. "Amacon didn't want them to come in just to see a sea of red dots, and think that everything had been sold."

These two sought-after buildings are only a small part of the 11-block "urban village" Ms. Cosic said is part of the changing scope of Mississauga's City Centre.

In recent years, properties in the western GTA have attracted prestigious condo developers: The Daniels corporation made headlines with its gargoyle-topped One Park Tower a few years ago, and has just opened "Chicago."

The condos are earning accolades, too: The 50-storey Absolute World condo won an international competition and the nickname "Marilyn Monroe" for its curvaceous design.

It is no surprise condos are popping up. The city's recent Engagement and Directions Report acknowledged that Mississauga is ageing, with its over-65 population estimated to grow to 25% from 8% in the next 30 years, and few young families to replace the under-44 population.

Condominiums are great for such an older demographic. "Residential subdivisions [in Mississauga] have few, if any, amenities within walking distance and are not well served by transit," reads the report. Often, a condo lifestyle can be a quick fix to those problems.

But the report also highlights a need to attract and retain young people by providing new opportunities for work and for recreation.

Enter such urban-style projects as Parkside Village.

It is taking 12 hectares of prime Mississauga real estate next to Square One and carving the city into smaller blocks with wide sidewalks (to make them more pedestrian-friendly), building stores and restaurants, a recreation centre with a music stage, a wine cellar, a film screening room, patios, and a hectare of parkland with a green arcade down the middle of the development.

Suddenly, industrial and suburban Mississauga starts to sound a lot like any successful city's downtown ... except it might possibly be a bit greener.

This feel is inspired by such integrated communities as Old Montreal, Ms. Cosic said, where living and working are mixed up with one another, rather than thinking of home as something at the end of a commute.

"It's such a cliche, but people want to live there because they really can live, work and play," she said.

With environmental concerns in mind, and ever-rising gas prices, a long ride to work is becoming even less attractive, she said.

A study by the Mississaugabased Sustainable Urban Development Association released last week shows the number of people polled in the GTA who demand life in a single or semi-detached home is on the decline, and more than half of those polled are willing to live -- even with their families --in a condo.

Add that to the claim on Smart Commute Mississauga's site that more people actually commute into Mississauga now, and the people lining up in the rain for a chance to live in Parkside Village sometime in 2011 seem less crazy.

"They're the only ones providing an urban village lifestyle in Mississauga," Ms. Cosic said.

"It's just the start of an urban renaissance."

The success of Parkside Village came as the city of Mississauga launched its draft Strategic Plan last week, which commits to providing a variety of housing, employment and recreation opportunities, and developing a "vibrant City Centre" as part of a vision of Mississauga's future.

bgoldberg@nationalpost.com

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto/story.html?id=628615

I found the article somewhat misleading in presenting MCC as a live-work environment, when most of the jobs (and job growth) in Mississauga is located in fringe area that requires vehicular access.

AoD

Back