Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

The George Brown College residence looks great, and the curtainwall is sharp. That midrise next to it is so banal and cheap-looking though.

The mid-rise next to it is one of Daoust Lestage's affordable housing buildings.

I thought that's what the building might be. Glad to see some form of low-cost housing constructed, in any case.

Waterfront Toronto used to announce that Cherry Street between Front and Lake Shore and Old Eastern Avenue would reopen in "summer 2013", then it became "fall 2013" - neither is yet open. Anyone taking bets?

Just saw the November minutes of West Don lands Committee where it says:

The crews are working hard to finish the road and public realm from Cherry Street from Lakeshore Blvd to Eastern Avenue. Trees have been planted on both sides of the street and a few of the street lights are operational. However, because of the major changes to the street, there is a city conveyance process that must be completed before Cherry Street can be reopened. Dundee/Kilmer/WT/IO are working with the city to get this done as soon as possible but a firm opening date has not been confirmed.
DK has submitted all conveyance documents with the city third party reviewer. Final submissions and signatures will not take place until March 2014.
The stretch on Mill street south of Cherry including intersection does not need conveyance so they are making the effort to open it soon.

I've been scratching my head at this one, too. The street has been complete since the summer, IIRC - even the lines are painted. Same with Eastern Ave east from Cherry.

It's a shame they chickened out and cancelled the orange spandrels on YMCA building. The corporate big wigs couldn't get their heads around them - it seemed to 'bold' for them. The decision to make them white and grey was made in a boardroom by the business types - not even the designers. I wish they would leave the design decisions to the designers.

That's really unfortunate.

Yeah, that is sad. Right now that whole neighbourhood consists of just grey, black and white. Why would they be afraid of a little bit of colour? (especially a YMCA) That makes no sense at all. Were they afraid Torontonians would avoid going inside an orange building? I could see a condo developer being that timid but not the YMCA. That's just crazy and very disappointing. How much more grey can this neighbourhood take?

Last edited:
So far I'm quite disappointed with the architecture on the waterfront so far, starting with Chorus Quay and George Brown. All those new parks and streetcars are nice, but if these developers are incapable of creating beautiful buildings then what the hell.

There was also some concern about corporate branding and copyright relating to the use of the colour orange - which to me seems like a stretch. More of a rationalization than a valid reason.

The decision not to go with a particular colour - be it orange or blue - was indeed George Brown's.

I understand member's concerns with the amount of grey cladding in the WDL's, but from my vantage point here most of downtown east is red brick...so I welcome the change.

I think George Brown and the YMCA look fantastic as-is. I'm happy that they didn't go with coloured inserts. I would have liked to have seen some more colour on the affordable housing, however, as well as Canary Park Condos with some red brick (as depicted in their renderings).

The massive planting scheme and (future) tree canopy will go along way in softening the grey in the area as will colourful retail signage and public art. I don't think we need to worry at this point being a huge and dirty construction site and all. It will clean up just fine!

Right now that whole neighbourhood consists of just grey, black and white. Why would they be afraid of a little bit of colour? (especially a YMCA)... How much more grey can this neighbourhood take?

I guess Toronto's "Fear of heights" has segued into "The fear of colour".

I think the concern is valid, but not a deal breaker.

At least we have an entire precinct designed properly and wholistically. If I had to choose the orange spandrel but with Liberty Village style planning, I'd stick with what's underway now.

On a stroll to George Brown & Environs...

a.jpg

b.jpg

bbb.jpg

bb.jpg

aa.jpg

aaa.jpg

c.jpg

cc.jpg

ccc.jpg

cccc.jpg

d.jpg

Attachments