Toronto Ontario Square and Canada Square | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

The only structures being being above the parking garage for the time being are the vehicular and pedestrian accesses to the garage. They are looking for money (and a concrete plan) for a strip of 2-3 storey shops/restos/somethingerothers along the east edge.

Two squares will result here: one at the harbour (no east edge strip building there) and one at Queens Quay.

The only structures being being above the parking garage for the time being are the vehicular and pedestrian accesses to the garage. They are looking for money (and a concrete plan) for a strip of 2-3 storey shops/restos/somethingerothers along the east edge.

Two squares will result here: one at the harbour (no east edge strip building there) and one at Queens Quay.

Except that they're definitely building something right now that isn't attached to either a stairway or ramp access to the garage. They've put a rather large concrete pad down near the front/middle of the lot (no holes for stairway access - just a flat slab) and they're building a single story structure on it. I'll try to get a picture with my iPhone next time I walk past.

From the May 2012 WT Newsletter:

York Quay Revitalization Update

The transformation of York Quay at Harbourfront Centre from a surface parking lot into a dynamic new public space for waterfront visitors continues to progress. The new underground parking garage is nearly complete and will open in June. The underground garage was an important first step in the revitalization of the site. Building the garage unlocked the area and is enabling the creation of two new generous public spaces.

Funding is now in place and the project’s designer Michael Van Valkenberg and Associates presented a concept design for the surface of the site to the Waterfront Design Review Panel in May. The design includes three components: Canada Square which looks out towards Lake Ontario, an urban square which faces a revitalized Queens Quay, and an interim programming area for Harbourfront Centre’s future cultural village.

Work on both plazas and interim cultural village will begin this summer with an expected opening in spring 2013. Waterfront Toronto’s central waterfront public update meeting on June 6 will include a presentation on the project.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/widgets_newsletter/read-newsletter/id/40

AoD

Ha I noticed that my self just now :) ... so they have money to go ahead with it ! Great I thought it was going to be a patch of grass for years.

Why are the virtual people in these renders always so white? Architects need to get the Toronto diversity plugin.

I am VERY glad to see that they found the funding - and not just for some interim landscaping at that. The Metasequoia is going to look truly impressive.

AoD

Very underwhelming! It's just trees, grass and some paving bricks. There are no fountains, monuments or anything that makes it interesting or unique. It's basically the same thing as H2O West, except a different configuration. What was the point of going through all the trouble if they are just going to give us what we already have, just a few blocks away? Look at the Government Services building, which is an ugly square shack. It's going back into the square as is. (ridiculous) I'm quite disappointed.

Last edited:
The parking garage is to open next week, but we will see. The landscaping will be done by fall.

This whole area is so scale down, it not funny anymore. What was proposed for Canada Sq and what we are going to get is night vs. day for the worse.

Don't support that 2/3 storey down the road thing.

It was not supposed to be asphalt for the driveway to the parking garage. Hopefully the asphalt is just temporary solution.

Very underwhelming! It's just trees, grass and some paving bricks. There are no fountains, monuments or anything that makes it interesting or unique. It's basically the same thing as H2O West, except a different configuration. What was the point of going through all the trouble if they are just going to give us what we already have, just a few blocks away? Look at the Government Services building, which is an ugly square shack. It's going back into the square as is. (ridiculous) I'm quite disappointed.

The Cultural Landscape portion feels like it's temporary- I think the commercial and retail originally proposed are eventually intended for the spot. The Metasequoia grove will be impressive, but I was kind of hoping for a large open area in that spot.

I wasn't too impressed with the original design but this one, while subtle, genuinely feels like a Canada Square.

It's not just trees. It's the placement of the trees to form this circle surrounded by super tall Metasequoias, the paving, the lighting... all make up what will generate a pleasant atmosphere. I think it can work.

Any info on how mature the trees will be when brought in?

Last edited:

Back