Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

I'd rather have a thrill park with many high-intensity roller coasters.

Thrill park sounds much better than the standard amusement park or theme park.

This would provide real competition to soon-to-be Six Flags Canada's Wonderland.

This is the best idea I've heard.

The Ex has been missing a great rollercoaster for years. I realize they'll never build another permanent coaster on Ex grounds because they need/want the parking space but building something at Ontario Place that you could access with CNE admission would be fantastic.

This is the best idea I've heard.

The Ex has been missing a great rollercoaster for years. I realize they'll never build another permanent coaster on Ex grounds because they need/want the parking space but building something at Ontario Place that you could access with CNE admission would be fantastic.

Parking is not the issue here, the Ex and OP have a large supply and more could be placed underground if desired.

The issue with a permanent coaster is that The Ex operates for ~3 weeks a year. You can't recover that investment in a modern coaster. You could if you operated it full-season, but that requires a different plan/model than the one 'The Ex' traditionally used.

I actually think a single, permanent coaster on the grounds, specifically meant as a waterfront beacon/skyline feature with colourful nightlighting could work quite nicely; it just requires that it be operated ~ 6 months a year.

Its an alternative to the Ferris Wheel idea which really isn't terrible so much as its repetitive with a few cities having gone that route.

A great summary of the new docs by Lorinc:

AoD

And of course, the problem w/a thrill park is that you'd only be compounding the havoc committed upon the OP Zeidler/Hough "heritage elements".

That'd be great too. Feel like they'd need a lot more space though.
A roller coaster like Wicked Twister that used to be in Cedar Point would provide great thrills while using up very little space and is rather inexpensive as compared with other steel roller coasters.

If Ontario Place can get Intamin to build a similar roller coaster, given that Intamin built Wicked Twister before it was removed, then Ontario Place can say that it has what Canada's Wonderland doesn't have: an Intamin roller coaster!

Wasn't Ontario Place, a water park you had to pay to get into. I remember going there as a child. You had to pay at least 20 dollars to get in. Isn't this spa, a souped up version of what Ontario Place once was?
In my opinion, yes, but it seems lots on this forum have different opinions. Actually, there used to be a charge to enter the entire grounds, (that was the $20 you remember) but now the water park & spa fee will only apply if you want to go inside. So you'll be able to walk all around, access the beach, and go up & over Therme, etc., at no charge.

A great summary of the new docs by Lorinc:

AoD
This whole deal is as dirty as a three dollar bill. And should be rejected outright with Therme sent packing...along with laying charges where necessary, IMO. As well as, censuring our Premier over this, since that seems to be all a thing now.

Wasn't Ontario Place, a water park you had to pay to get into. I remember going there as a child. You had to pay at least 20 dollars to get in. Isn't this spa, a souped up version of what Ontario Place once was?
Ontario Place *contained* water park elements; but it never precisely *was* a "water park" in the way that various Wild Water Kingdoms or Action Park in NJ were--even if that's the impressionistic image a lot of kids latterly going there got. Or grownups taking their kids there who'd otherwise have no excuse to go there other than for Bud Stage concerts; which is sort of like having no excuse to go downtown except for Leafs or Jays games.

And yes, by that barometer, the spa is a souped-up version of *that* rather utilitarian from-a-kid's/parents'-eye notion of OP--which to be fair, isn't entirely unlike your proverbial family trips to Toronto Islands which consist of little-to-nothing more than Centreville-and-back.

There is a major difference between what happened with the greenbelt, and what is proposed for Ontario Place.
There is no connection between the two, this is different, like apples and oranges.

Ontario place is led by Infrastructure Ontario. IO is a non partisan independent entity from government. This independent entity led the procurement process, where Theme Group won the bidding process.

The Globe and Mail also reported that before the 2018 election, Kathleen Wynne's Ontario Liberals were also in the process of redeveloping Ontario Place. Through their procurement process, Theme Group was one of the finalist to develop Ontario Place.

Theme Group was a leading contender for both the Liberals (2018) and Conservatives (2019), through different procurements .

This show through procurements by different governments, that Theme Group, won based on merit.

There is a major difference between what happened with the greenbelt, and what is proposed for Ontario Place.
There is no connection between the two, this is different, like apples and oranges.

Ontario place is led by Infrastructure Ontario. IO is a non partisan independent entity from government. This independent entity led the procurement process, where Theme Group won the bidding process.

The Globe and Mail also reported that before the 2018 election, Kathleen Wynne's Ontario Liberals were also in the process of redeveloping Ontario Place. Through their procurement process, Theme Group was one of the finalist to develop Ontario Place.

Theme Group was a leading contender for both the Liberals (2018) and Conservatives (2019), through different procurements .

This show through procurements by different governments, that Theme Group, won based on merit.

Bolded, it is neither.

Italics, there is no evidence to support such a conclusion, whatsoever.

...and the non-emphasized parts seems to has a bad case of whataboutisms.

Back