Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

If you *really* want to know what's ominous and worrisome, it's the fact that the Province has, coincidental with this announcement, "conveniently" yanked the Ontario Place heritage value statement page.

Web archived here..

https://web.archive.org/web/2018122...on.ca/en/ontarioplace/heritagestatement.shtml

If the call for proposals isn't reflective enough of the government's vandalistic callousness, *that* is--essentially, they're burying OP's heritage status and hoping that nobody notices. And I'd expect their feet to be drawn over the fire for that move, maybe even preemptive of any proposals coming across the table...
This should be tweeted at the TorStar.

Gee the Star know hows to twist things around, lol......development doesn't necessarily mean demolishing the Pods and Cinesphere that are pretty well above water
.... Lots of land around there for a developer to incorporate it and build something nice
  • The areas available for development includes the Ontario Place islands, mainland, pods, and the Cinesphere

If Ford valued the spectacular architecture of Ontario Place, he would have clearly stated that the pods and Cinesphere were being protected so people would have one less thing to worry about but he intentionally made it clear, that they could go! That speaks quite clearly to me, Doug is saying I'm boss and I will do as I please!
Screw the people!

I do not trust this guy at all and I'm very worried!
He has no ethics or scruples, only self-interest, just like his role model down south!

Wasn't Ontario Place on the Heritage Site list? Is so, who ordered that Ontario Place be removed from that list?
It's not that it was removed from any list; it's just that the site in question was removed, so that Nosy Nellies can't find it and invoke "heritage". But of course, those bozos don't know that such things are archived...

I can sort of understand DoFo's logic here, though. Remember: he's a sports dude. And in the sports and entertainment world, as we all know, venues have "life spans". After a generation or so, they become "dated". That's why Skydome is a dinosaur at 30. That's why we see so many stadiums and arenas imploded once their two or three or four decades are up. To cling to them for nostalgia's sake is, to the mentalities in charge, unthinkable (other than a few Wrigley Field-type cases).

He's viewing Ontario Place through such sports-and-entertainment utilitarian eyes. And to him, it's a pushing-50 dysfunctional old crock. Sports venues renew themselves. Malls renew themselves, sometimes through big box rebuilds. Why not Ontario Place? Why must we cling to the pods just because of a few hysterical preservationists? It's had its day; time to move on. For The People!

The *big* key to that being the operating mindset: that the element many consider to be the beginning of the ruination of Ontario Place (the Forum-replacing Bud Stage) is being left alone. To them, *that* is the extant element that is most successful and, I guess, "world class"--heck, I know it's a licensing/lease thing, but they're even prioritizing it over Trillium Park...

Below are the email addresses for the Ontario Place redevelopment, the Infrastructure Ontario CEO, and most of Ford’s caucus.

Demand they save the Cinesphere and pods!

Ontarioplacedevelopment@infrastructureontario.ca
cory@infrastructureontario.ca
bob.bailey@pc.ola.org
doug.ford@pc.ola.org
doug.downey@pc.ola.org
dave.smith@pc.ola.org
daisy.wai@pc.ola.org
david.piccini@pc.ola.org
donna.skelly@pc.ola.org monte.mcnaughton@pc.ola.org
mike.harris@pc.ola.org
Todd.smithco@pc.ola.org
Natalia.kusendova@pc.ola.org
nina.tangri@pc.ola.org
norm.miller@pc.ola.org
Jeff.yurek@pc.ola.org
will.bouma@pc.ola.org
Jim.wilson@pc.ola.org
Jim.mcdonell@pc.ola.org
vic.fedeli@pc.ola.org
christina.mitas@pc.ola.org
christine.hogarth@pc.ola.org
amarjot.sandhu@pc.ola.org
amy.fee@pc.ola.org
Randy.pettapiece@pc.ola.org bill.walker@pc.ola.org
greg.rickford@pc.ola.org
gila.martow@pc.ola.org
jane.mckenna@pc.ola.org
john.yakabuski@pc.ola.org
Kinga.surma@pc.ola.org kaleed.rasheed@pc.ola.org lindsey.park@pc.ola.org
laurie.scott@pc.ola.org
logan.kanapathi@pc.ola.org
Lorne.coe@pc.ola.org
lisa.macleodco@pc.ola.org
randy.hillier@pc.ola.org
rod.phillips@pc.ola.org stephen.crawford@pc.ola.org robin.martin@pc.ola.org
rick.nicholls@pc.ola.org
michael.tibolloco@pc.ola.org
paul.calandra@pc.ola.org
Parm.gill@pc.ola.org
deepak.anand@pc.ola.org daryl.kramp@pc.ola.org
lisa.thompson@pc.ola.org merrilee.fullerton@pc.ola.org andrea.khanjin@pc.ola.org
jill.dunlop@pc.ola.org belinda.karahalios@pc.ola.org
vijay.thanigasalam@pc.ola.org
vincent.ke@pc.ola.org
peter.bethlenfalvy@pc.ola.org
christine.elliott@pc.ola.org effie.triantafilopoulos@pc.ola.org ernie.hardeman@pc.ola.org
toby.barrett@pc.ola.org
ted.arnott@pc.ola.org sam.oosterhoffco@pc.ola.org stephen.lecce@pc.ola.org sylvia.jones@pc.ola.org
raymond.cho@pc.ola.org roman.baber@pc.ola.org
ross.romano@pc.ola.org
billy.pang@pc.ola.org
randy.pettapiece@pc.ola.org todd.smith@pc.ola.org
natalia.kusendova@pc.ola.org
caroline.mulroney@pc.ola.org

Last edited:
Below are the email addresses for the Ontario Place redevelopment, the Infrastructure Ontario CEO, and most of Ford’s caucus.

Demand they save the Cinesphere and pods!

We have to go to where the money is. We have to make it absolutely clear to developers who are bidding that if they propose tearing down the Cinesphere and the pods, they will be picking a fight with Toronto that they’re not going to win. They’re going to come out of this with the public relations equivalent of a broken nose.

We have to go to where the money is. We have to make it absolutely clear to developers who are bidding that if they propose tearing down the Cinesphere and the pods, they will be picking a fight with Toronto that they’re not going to win. They’re going to come out of this with the public relations equivalent of a broken nose.

*And*, remind them of what's being hidden from them (i.e. the removed heritage statement page).

Remember: it's like hiding an environmental report so as to expedite the "efficient" redevelopment of unremediated brownfields: hello, Love Canal, etc...

Or, like withholding/hiding building inspection reports prior to selling a property. So--surprise! Structurally unsound, etc. You just got scammed into buying a lemon (even if heritage reports are the ironic inverse of "lemon" judgment)

Hey, they probably knew that contesting a heritage report for Ontario Place wouldn't stand up in, shall we say, "heritage court". So...hide it under the table. La la la, if you don't see it, it doesn't exist--right?

(And I guess ultimately, if you're cornered, just admit up front that it was a "political decision". And invoke the notwithstanding clause in order to override heritage status. You know how it all goes.)

The City of Toronto should delegate and reveal a historical plaque commemorating Ontario Place,

Similar to the Sunnyside Amusement Park plaque. See link.

Sunnyside_Amusement_Park_Plaque.jpg

Sunnyside_Amusement_Park.jpg

We'll know the current Ontario government wouldn't. (sad)

From link.

Canadian_National_Exhibition_Plaque.jpg

Canadian_National_Exhibition_1.jpg

Last edited:
The *big* key to that being the operating mindset: that the element many consider to be the beginning of the ruination of Ontario Place (the Forum-replacing Bud Stage) is being left alone. To them, *that* is the extant element that is most successful and, I guess, "world class"--heck, I know it's a licensing/lease thing, but they're even prioritizing it over Trillium Park...

According to the posting on proposal requirements, the Bud Stage is being left off as it is already subject to a long-term lease.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-place: "Proposals for development of the land where the Budweiser Stage is situated will not be considered as it is subject to an existing lease."

Also, is anyone writing IO in advance to express their views?:

"In the lead up to the release of the Expression of Interest, there is an opportunity to submit ideas that will help government realize their vision for Ontario Place. If you are interested in sharing your idea in advance of the release of the Expression of Interest, please contact Infrastructure Ontario by e-mail at OntarioPlaceDevelopment@infrastructureontario.ca for information on the rules and process for submission of your idea."

Also, is anyone writing IO in advance to express their views?:

"In the lead up to the release of the Expression of Interest, there is an opportunity to submit ideas that will help government realize their vision for Ontario Place. If you are interested in sharing your idea in advance of the release of the Expression of Interest, please contact Infrastructure Ontario by e-mail at OntarioPlaceDevelopment@infrastructureontario.ca for information on the rules and process for submission of your idea."

IO operates entirely at the behest of the government of the day -- it's PC MPPs who need to feel public pressure here (and even at that, because they don't have a single downtown Toronto member, I'm skeptical any of them will give even half a shit).

The city could really use a Jane Jacobs figure right now.

Are you kidding? If Doug Ford had been premier back then he'd have ignored her and we would have a ghastly trench disfiguring the Annex, Kensington and Chinatown today.

Also, Streetcars For Toronto would also have been a failure.

Back