Toronto Ontario Line: Science Centre Station | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | HDR

It will connect to Line 5 Eglinton at the Science Centre station, yes - as can be seen in this post here
actually not sure if hes asking about a direct connection to the science center underground station.

From what ive heard, youre basically going to have to leave the station to get to line 5.

secondary question is whether it gets a diret connection to the big bus station

actually not sure if hes asking about a direct connection to the science center underground station.

From what ive heard, youre basically going to have to leave the station to get to line 5.

secondary question is whether it gets a diret connection to the big bus station
That is not the case. The LRT line is underground and the subway will be elevated, so you will have to navigate a fairly large grade change, but there will definitely be a direct connection.

That is not the case. The LRT line is underground and the subway will be elevated, so you will have to navigate a fairly large grade change, but there will definitely be a direct connection.
15_Future Ontario Line Science Centre station on the northeast corner of Don Mills Rd and Egli...jpg

You can see the bus terminal entrance and the driveway circled in red here.

Also, I know it will be called "Science Centre" for the sake of consistency, but it's a little weird that the Flemington Park stop will actually be closer to the science centre...

Flemingdon would be closer if you were coming on the Ontario Line (especially from the south), but Science Centre would be easier if you were coming along the Crosstown (unless you really wanted to do like 3 sets of stairs to switch lines to go one stop?). I guess it's a little like Museum/St. George. If I was going to the ROM on Line 2 I'd be much more likely to go to St. George (or even Bay) than I would be to go to Museum.

And if the Science Centre were ever to do a big renovation / expansion, it'd make sense to expand to the north. Who knows, maybe one day the entrance ends up a lot closer to Eglinton?

I'm just thinking of that poor intersection of Eglinton Ave. E. and Don Mills Rd. which has to be ripped up all over again to to put in this new station and line...
Don't quote me on it cuz I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like they're rebuilding the intersection with this in mind. I do know that they've designed the LRT station to support and connect to the Ontario Line station, so I would imagine that they've at least designed the reconstruction of the intersection to fit the new line overhead later

It isn't unprecedented to change the station names as a result of the project and I agree that the name change should take place officially on a date close to the Ontario Line opening. That is the same thing that happened for Downsview to Sheppard East and Eglinton West to Cedarvale. My vote for the names are using Science Centre instead of Flemingdon Park, and Don Crossing instead of Science Centre (at Eglinton and Don Mills). Don Mills Crossing is being used to define the area in city planning documents, but the Mills is overkills... like the Metropolitan in Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. Although... this is also a metropolitan area so maybe Don Mills Crossing Metropolitan Centre would work so we aren't outdone by York Region politicians. :)

It isn't unprecedented to change the station names as a result of the project and I agree that the name change should take place officially on a date close to the Ontario Line opening. That is the same thing that happened for Downsview to Sheppard East and Eglinton West to Cedarvale. My vote for the names are using Science Centre instead of Flemingdon Park, and Don Crossing instead of Science Centre (at Eglinton and Don Mills). Don Mills Crossing is being used to define the area in city planning documents, but the Mills is overkills... like the Metropolitan in Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. Although... this is also a metropolitan area so maybe Don Mills Crossing Metropolitan Centre would work so we aren't outdone by York Region politicians. :)
I agree it's not unprecedented… so why aren't they talking a bout it in this case then? Because it doesn't fit a narrative of the line going from Ontario Place to the Ontario Science Centre, it's off by one station? Talk about taking things too literally. Oh wait, I remember what brand of politics this is…

Assuming the science Centre is still there when OL opens...there were rumours of it being relocated some time ago.

Assuming the science Centre is still there when OL opens...there were rumours of it being relocated some time ago.
Eventually condos will be built on top of it, the land will just be too valuable once OL is there. 20 mins automatic train to downtown

Eventually condos will be built on top of it, the land will just be too valuable once OL is there. 20 mins automatic train to downtown
Moving it to Ontario Place, or opening an annex to it at Ontario Place, are being studied. I'd be okay with an Annex, but the Science Centre in its entirety should not be moved. It's too large to fit in the Ontario Place pods for one thing. Also important though is that the buildings are classic Raymond Moriyama designs, and they should be restored where necessary. Being that most of them are within ravine lands, they couldn't be replaced with new buildings now as such lands now have prohibitions on building. The parking lots will disappear however, with the northern-most end of the site already having redevelopment plans posted for it here. I assume the parking lots closer to the Science Centre entrance buildings will end up underneath other new buildings eventually.

Back