Toronto Ontario Line: Queen Station | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | HDR

When it comes time to rebuild Queen Street, will pedestrianization occur with 2 lanes instead of 4 (hopefully car free), wider sidewalks, quality paving, landscaping, etc? It would be a colossal waste of money if it's rebuilt as the 4 car lane road it's been up till now. This is the perfect opportunity to bring Queen Street into the 21st century like George Street in Sydney.

George Street, Sydney
View attachment 579106

I’d love that! I always thought that queen street west, especially between university ave to Spadina was such a wasted opportunity. It’s one of the few stretches in the city where you have an outdoor shopping strip like you see in Europe. I think it would do wonders for the city if it was properly streetscaped and made a pedestrian and transit corridor.

I’d love that! I always thought that queen street west, especially between university ave to Spadina was such a wasted opportunity. It’s one of the few stretches in the city where you have an outdoor shopping strip like you see in Europe. I think it would do wonders for the city if it was properly streetscaped and made a pedestrian and transit corridor.
I have often thought (and said) the same thing! And shut it down completely to cars every Sunday like they do with Ginza in Tokyo. 😊

When it comes time to rebuild Queen Street, will pedestrianization occur with 2 lanes instead of 4 (hopefully car free), wider sidewalks, quality paving, landscaping, etc? It would be a colossal waste of money if it's rebuilt as the 4 car lane road it's been up till now. This is the perfect opportunity to bring Queen Street into the 21st century like George Street in Sydney.

George Street, Sydney
View attachment 579106

You're not the only one who agrees!

In the planning stages, this was brought up many times. Unfortunately, the City of Toronto had little interest in pursuing this; hopefully they will change their mind - given that this is a perfect opportunity with most people having changed their travel habits over 5 years. Though, this did come at the same time that Mayor Tory rejected the acceleration of the University Park concept to preserve the Osgoode Hall site. Maybe new political leadership will help lead the way...

In respect of the above, I very much support pedestrianization here, as @adys123 knows.

I think Yonge to Bay and York to University are comparatively easy bits.

Bay to York has some real challenges. You have entrance/exits, including the primary one to City Hall's parking garage.

Removing the south side entry I think is fairly easy, but the capacity of the northside entry can't be made up for with any other existing entrance/exit, so that's a bit more challenging.

I lean to pedestrianizing the two sections I noted, and removing the south side entry to the Green P in the York to Bay block and then doing quality pedestrian realm. Cars would still be permitted in the Bay to York section.

Something that would allow us to address the remaining block in the future would be to downsize the City Hall garage by dramatically enlarging the secure cycling storage, which has a waiting list to get in. Cut the 1,200 odd parking spaces to 1,000, and add room for another 600 bikes.

Back