Toronto Ontario Court of Justice Toronto | 95.7m | 17s | Infrastructure ON | Renzo Piano

This building will block some heinous structures to the north and improve the northwest corner of the NPS. Despite it not being a showstopper, it is a handsome addition and the glass provides a nice counterpoint to all the concrete nearby.

This building will block some heinous structures to the north and improve the northwest corner of the NPS. Despite it not being a showstopper, it is a handsome addition and the glass provides a nice counterpoint to all the concrete nearby.

Yeah, it'll blend into the background, kind of like the architectural equivalent of muzak...

Of course, just because this is designed by a grand architect that many here drool about lets see how this comes out?

This makes no sense. You're defending one rendering against another rendering by saying we need to wait to see how it turns out (which is essentially a self-defeating argument), and also implying that the entire corpus of a world renowned architecture firm (which itself is reputed for excellence in detailing) is irrelevant, weighed against a middling Canadian firm with a recent history of bland duds.

This makes no sense. You're defending one rendering against another rendering by saying we need to wait to see how it turns out (which is essentially a self-defeating argument), and also implying that the entire corpus of a world renowned architecture firm (which itself is reputed for excellence in detailing) is irrelevant, weighed against a middling Canadian firm with a recent history of bland duds.
im not defending nothing, like i said lets see the final product from these big boys that everyone raves about

Tue May 5, 2020

DSCN5162.JPG

DSCN5164.JPG

DSCN5171.JPG

DSCN5172.JPG

DSCN5173.JPG

fullsizeoutput_39e2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_39e3.jpeg

DSCN5178.JPG

DSCN5179.JPG

fullsizeoutput_39e4.jpeg

Attachments

• DSCN5167.JPG
    DSCN5167.JPG
    348.5 KB · Views: 306
April 30
Only a few location for shots now
49863911886_fcf98f70da_b.jpg

49864219492_951199d9e2_b.jpg

49863912121_4bc04d60d1_b.jpg

While I preferred the older render, the intersection isn't high profile enough to warrant an internationally recognized showstopper building.

the intersection isn't high profile enough to warrant an internationally recognized showstopper building.
No but then again it's next to one of the worlds most iconic buildings,
so yes it should have been high profile enough to compliment another internationally recognized showstopper building.

I would agree with your assessment of WZMH overall. But in defence of WZMH, they gave us the CN Tower, Royal York Plaza, and Scotia Plaza, which are world class landmarks.

On the other hand, we could have gotten this instead, so...

AoD

Comparing renderings, it seems to me that the solid walls (ie. not perforated by windows) were a design-requirement. I've noticed a similar trend in the new courthouses in the US. I presume this is because courtrooms are stacked against the exterior walls. Confounding if that's the case, because the new courtrooms put up in Europe, including Renzo Piano's sublime new Palais de Justice in Paris, are covered in glass.

Anyone have any further insight?

Comparing renderings, it seems to me that the solid walls (ie. not perforated by windows) were a design-requirement. I've noticed a similar trend in the new courthouses in the US. I presume this is because courtrooms are stacked against the exterior walls. Confounding if that's the case, because the new courtrooms put up in Europe, including Renzo Piano's sublime new Palais de Justice in Paris, are covered in glass.

Anyone have any further insight?

I haven't looked into the government's planning requirements for new courthouses, but my experience with recent courthouses has been that they've put the hallways by the windows in the case of the new Durham Courthouse in Oshawa and the new Brampton courthouse, with the courtrooms towards the centre of the building with no windows.

However, the Federal Court in Toronto, located at 180 Queen Street West, has a courtroom with windows. The views south and west are quite impressive.

On the other hand, we could have gotten this instead, so...

AoD
Hard to argue for that.

But I do like its solidity in some way, as well as the cues in the ribbed concrete panels that seem to draw from City Hall's rear walls.

Back