Toronto Ontario Court of Justice Toronto | 95.7m | 17s | Infrastructure ON | Renzo Piano

Although I'm worried at the prospect of Ford cancelling this too, I think it's unlikely because the purpose of the new court building was to ultimately save money long-term by centralizing and streamlining services and get rid of all the leases for space in other buildings to hold courts. It's a money-saving initiative, so he should like it.

Last edited:
^^^Populism isn't about facts or logic though, or even about coherent policy. It's about appealing to emotions and creating division. The fancy, elitist architect behind the fancy, elitist design makes this project vulnerable.

I didn't see this as being an elitist design. If anything, the design appears clean and functional - befitting its role as a Court of Justice.

The provincial courts are being throw out of Old City Hall in 2021 (I think that's the year), so they could just extend other leases elsewhere, and move the Old City Hall courts into some tents put up on this lot… then they don't need this building. That would work, right? Subways subway subways!

4t43wtwas.JPG

Attachments

• 4t43wtwas.JPG
    4t43wtwas.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 735
Meh, sounds like a scare tactic. It is no different with 2 or 3 courthouses.

Edit - the real point is in the last para of the article:

As the ministry is “intent on moving forward with this initiative,” the report says police concerns must be “assessed with an eye to mitigation at every stage of the planning and design,” including additional police resources to secure the area around the courthouse, adequate segregation cells to deal with gang rivalries, and maximizing the use of court appearances by video.

AoD

Last edited:
By sooner would you mean, say, June 2017 when the police raised the issues in a report but :

It’s unclear how many people have seen the report, which says the Ministry of the Attorney General did not consult with Toronto police on its decision to centralize court operations under the previous Liberal government.

as for
Right. Gangs just love to gravitate around courthouses, law chambers....

The story says the concern is that by having one centralized court house....cases involving rival gangs could possibly end up taking place in the same building at the same time....and that is concern.

By sooner would you mean, say, June 2017 when the police raised the issues in a report but :

as for

The story says the concern is that by having one centralized court house....cases involving rival gangs could possibly end up taking place in the same building at the same time....and that is concern.
If they're stupid enough to have a shootout in a courthouse.. Well..

Back