Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

you and your fellow Christians must throw a nice little street party to welcome them back to the neighbourhood you share with them, Beez.
The Regent Park and Cabbagetown neighbourhoods have always been divided, as if Gerrard were the Berlin Wall or something. My hope is that we get the best of the old guard RGI folks back, mixed in with middle class condo/townhouse buyers, without the original gang or criminal element. If that happens, it will be great for the city, and may just unite the two neighbourhoods into one big Cabbagetown....or Cabbagepark?

Okay, I have to ask, has construction at Regent Park stopped for the summer? I haven't seen any crews, the cranes moving or any excavation of that huge mound of earth. What's the hold up? We can throw up a 30+ condo in 24 months, but we've done no more than begin the foundation at Regent. I suspect that the project is not properly funded.

AFAIK, they are not just building the average condo or more specifically the average foundation to be used as the average underground parkade

AFAIK, they are not just building the average condo or more specifically the average foundation to be used as the average underground parkade
I understand that they've got to work with the central heat plant, but if anything such complications should mean we're seeing more work at the site, not idleness.

Okay, what's going on at Regent Park? I swear that crane hasn't moved in days. Is there a progress report somewhere that we can see if they're still on schedule. I'm 36 now, and don't want to be over 50 by the time they're done.

^The way construction can crawl at certain sites these days, don't count on it.

haven't been by the site in a while with Dundas being closed but you sure they aren't drilling like a thousand holes into the bottom of the excavation for the thermal heat generator?

Okay, what's going on at Regent Park? I swear that crane hasn't moved in days. Is there a progress report somewhere that we can see if they're still on schedule. I'm 36 now, and don't want to be over 50 by the time they're done.

It's my understanding that the complete revitalization project will take about 15 years to complete...so it looks like you're out of luck.

...but then you moved in.
According to my neighbours, our moving in is a benefit to the community, since there aren't a lot of young children in Cabbagetown and our twins may help encourage other young families to move in. I had a very nice chat with the residents of the local rooming house on this topic precisely, where I also praised the self proclaimed matron of the house for doing great things there.

Actually, it's amazing what this one woman has done to the big green painted rooming house on Sackville Street. She is an aboriginal from Nova Scotia who lived a hard life of abuse, drugs, alcohol and dispair, and then moved to Toronto to work in a bar. Before she moved to the rooming house on Sackville Street there were always drunken fights in front of the house, police calls every week and a few prostitutes, ex-cons and drug atticts and dealers causing trouble. Well, this one woman has turned the the place around, you just need to see the gardens out front and the friendly front porch gatherings to see that the house has turned a corner. Now the landlord has hired her to interview every potential tenant, which is great since she's lived the same hard life as the potential tenants; so she knows where they're coming from. Everyone in the neighbourhood is pleased to see the improvements, and we know it's this one woman's work that did it.

Also, as a member of the local residents association http://www.donvalecra.ca/ I also hope I can help contribute towards the continued improvement of the area.

RegentPark(1).JPG

RegentPark(2).JPG

RegentPark(3).JPG

RegentPark(4).JPG

...brought to you by the ever-talented Graziani + Corazza architects of Mississauga - made famous by their wonderfully kitsch Residences of College Park and countless nightmares they designed in the 905 for developers like Tridel... :(

Back