Toronto One Front | 170.86m | 49s | Larco | a—A

This photo by @urb@ndweller on the CIBC Thread shows the location of the two (currently covered) light-wells in the Dominion Public Building.

1699800542875.png

I was walking past the Dominion Public Building today and it has OFFICES FOR RENT signage at both east and west wings. I think the Feds will end all of their lease about this time next year but maybe they are already downsizing?

I'm shaking my head. Toronto is 630 km2. The vast majority of the urban landscape is filled with mediocre development. Can't we just leave this .02 km2 alone?
Though the outer shell of this building is wonderful, it is a disaster area inside as it was built as a Customs 'warehouse' and the offices are small - former 'storerooms' - apart from the wonderful 'Grand Hall' . If the outside is to be preserved, as it should be, the building really needs major work inside and the way this will be paid for is with 'something on top'. Am I crazy about it? Of course not but it may be the only way to save the exterior.

If anything can be considered inviolable in this time, it might be any idea of tampering with the exterior sweep as Lenser has coined it, unless cleaning it up.

Reactions: DSC
Though the outer shell of this building is wonderful, it is a disaster area inside as it was built as a Customs 'warehouse' and the offices are small - former 'storerooms' - apart from the wonderful 'Grand Hall' . If the outside is to be preserved, as it should be, the building really needs major work inside and the way this will be paid for is with 'something on top'. Am I crazy about it? Of course not but it may be the only way to save the exterior.

I think I would be open to a single premium office tower with the base gutted and preserved, however, two skinny condo towers just doesn't do the current building or location justice. My vote would be leave this one alone until the A class office market has some life to it.

I think I would be open to a single premium office tower with the base gutted and preserved, however, two skinny condo towers just doesn't do the current building or location justice. My vote would be leave this one alone until the A class office market has some life to it.
Or turn it into a hotel. The former General Post Office building in Singapore is of similar style and vintage - the interior was gutted in 2000 and the building converted to a 5 star hotel, The Fullerton

fullerton hotel.jpg

Back