Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Are you freaking kidding me?! Again, another attack on the poor.

There is no justification for even trying to link poor people and this project to begin with. Getting real sick of this type attack on the poor by some on this board. If living in a city that has poor people really messes you up and ruins your day, then move to a gated community and stay there. You won't be missed.

And there is no way you could not have known this would be offensive. I don't believe it for a moment.

Did you not read a couple posts later when I identified with those that take the subway? I was simply trying to speculate on the logic of those building this project as to why they'd go to all the trouble of building this walk way and why they wouldn't just at a later phase in the construction have a more prominent entrance say closer to the corner of Yonge/Bloor (and thus likely closer to the condo's main entrance).

Absolutely nowhere in my post did a advocate for the current scheme or suggest that the logic would be acceptable if my speculation was correct. I honestly didn't mean to offend and I made the (incorrect) assumption that others would read it with the tone that I intended. Perhaps I should have put quotes around poor people or simply stated that that idea wasn't something I support.

Urban decay...

That is not an ignorant comment. There was a mass exodus of white people from Detroit in the 60s that was partially caused by intense race riots at that time. By no means am I saying racial tension is the only factor at play in Detroit but it was definitely one of the things that contributed to its downfall.

The exodus from the inner city, happened across the US in the post war '50s,( years before the riots) ignited by, the automobile, the interstate system, and the rows of sub urban track housing, that was portrayed as the "idyllic" American dream.
Business's, and the need to no longer be as near shipping yards, due to the increase of trucking/freeways, also migrated out to the suburbs.
It was this emptying of old neighborhoods that forced property values down, and the tax base, decreasing services, and "allowed" the poor, and immigrants into these neighborhoods, and the resulting inequity, was the cause of many riots, (and the fact that "civil rights, were yet to be attained) You'll watch to many movies. ;)

In fact, the creation of the US interstates created some of the worst public housing projects, and often cut off once beautiful neighborhoods, isolating them, and making them noisy and unattractive. So again the poor moved in, nobody forced people out of the inner city, in fact more poor people were forced into the the new "slums" , and public housing, the banks even refused to allow, many districts to be reborn , drawing red lines on maps , where they wanted to herd the "poor".
The illusions of an angry black violent movement, has been so born out of fear and propoganda....POOR people commit crime . They were handed a rough hand.
The riots were symptoms of a failing system, and a nation, verging on collapse. One that was rife with inequality, and racism, and often portrayed them as guilty, until proven innocent.
Many attempts to rebirth urban areas, through church groups, and and social clubs, were subverted by the FBI, and local police. Even the Panthers were initially about school books and food kitchens.
Economics and real estate, drove the exodus, and as always money is behind every motivation, it's never a black /white thing...it's never a Muslim/Christian thing...NEVER,................ it's ALWAYS a rich vs poor thing!!!
The creation of the suburban world, led to the state of tension, based on the inequalitys, inherent in that system. Race is always a card the rich play , to justify their immoral actions, that are truly based on greed, and selfishness. If I gotta make you think your not safe, so you will buy one of the 24 new homes I just built 12 miles south of here, I might just shoot out your windows myself, a little shoe polish on my face.......

All of this matters on this forum today , because, its the new "urban model" of integrated density, that can and will save the 21st century metroplis....The city is as vibrant as it's tax base, these are the hard lessons learned, esp in Detroit, and New York City.Toronto, is a torch bearer, in this new model, office towers will become harder and harder to build with so much technology, making an office optional. So residential towers will be this eras legacy, Aura 1 Bloor, and Trump etc, are the new breed. Love it!!! Jane Jacobs would too!!

While I don't disagree with jetsbackincanada's comments, as someone who grew up in Windsor at the time of the 68 riots I can also agree with ladyscraper's comments that those riots did contribute to the white exodus from Detroit.

Whenever I look up Yonge towards Bloor I still can't get my head around the fact that 1 Bloor is actually under construction. After more than 10 years of waiting it's still a surprise to see all that equipment there.

1byonge.jpg

Thanks anyways for looking into it! I'm sure we'll find out definitively soon enough.

We have our answer from Tucker Hi-Rise: the structure being built along the southeast edge of the site will allow a fire escape to from the Xerox building to remain in service during construction.

Last edited:
i'm as much looking forward to seeing construction as i am seeing the thing wrapped up and done... I've got a feeling, that once this thing is built, critics/torontonians alike are gonna wonder why they didn't decide to build this sooner... it's long overdue.

and yeah, i think this one will be a success.

Surely the answer is a "yes", given the presence of planning documents etc., but do we have any rendering, or even elevations that show the Hayden Street side of the podium?

If anyone could help me out, that'd be great. I'm very curious about what it will look like.

Spire, every One Bloor rendering known to man is in our dataBase listing for the building. Some of them appear nowhere else in fact. Numbers 9 and 11 aren't straight on the Hayden side, but both have oblique angles of it. Check 'em out!

Are there not always elevations on city planning documents?

i'm as much looking forward to seeing construction as i am seeing the thing wrapped up and done... I've got a feeling, that once this thing is built, critics/torontonians alike are gonna wonder why they didn't decide to build this sooner... it's long overdue.

and yeah, i think this one will be a success.
What about 1 Bloor West though?

I understand , that there is no any plans for revitalization of the South West corner of Young & Bloor , isn't it?

There are no current plans for 1 Bloor West. However, with One Bloor East, that land will become increasingly valuable, and I can't imagine the Stollery's folks holding out for long.

There are no current plans for 1 Bloor West. However, with One Bloor East, that land will become increasingly valuable, and I can't imagine the Stollery's folks holding out for long.

It would be pretty awesome if they did a mirror of 1BE at 1BW. We would get some WTC-esque twin towers type of stuff going on up there. Just a thought.

Back