Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

its been said before and I will said it again ... it is perfectly fine that one may choose to adore ANYTHING that aA produces ... however that in itself does not mean aA is a perfect architect superior to another other

Hariri Pontarini has done a great job with the new One Bloor design ... and it shows here ... I like it !

interchange42

First, the overall model from various angles.

Here's something to look for, even though you will not see it: the building behind the balconies is not a rectangle. Each side of the building is angled two ways, with one angle running parallel to the street it fronts, while another portion angles out gently towards the street. The angling brings the building out toward the corner points of the balconies. If one were to pull those corner points out further, the building would look like a pinwheel from above... have I described that clearly?

I had trouble seeing this in my mind's eye so I thought I'd sketch it up and get a better idea. The proportions are exaggerated I'm sure, but it gives the idea of what you saw in the model.

It will be interesting to see how this added dimension will play with the light of day, as it reflects from the glass.

4465250782_249a0fd025_o.jpg

Traynor, you've done an excellent job with that. My only clarifications would be that the the arcs and simple angled planes, and are more subtly angled in the actual plan, and longer: they do comprise about 40% or so of the length of each face. You have them in the right spots though.

Thanks 42.

I took artistic license with the curving angled corners, because it accentuated the pinwheel effect you mentioned. Also, I zoomed in on one of your closeup pics of the base and it was really hard to tell if it was straight or slightly curved. Thanks for the clarification.

One thing I noticed the model lacked... Balcony dividers. I wonder how they will end up detracting from the curves as they will most certainly change places as you rise from silver to gold and then to platinum floors? (Due to to the change in units per floor.)

Here is the new One Bloor's floorplates ... however it doesn't show the balcony footprints though:

OneBloor_FP.jpg

OK something is definitely up here... There is no penthouse per se. They are adding floors to this for sure.

So 60 or so floors with just 3 elevators? As someone who lives in a 40+ floor building with 3 elevators.....good luck with that one.

Never mind. I didn't see the additional elevators in the first image.

Last edited:
I count 6 from ground to 37.... Then three for the rest. That's why there is a mechanical on the west side of 38 that takes out some units.

anybody knows when the project will be finished? in 3 or 4 years??

I'd say about 4 years once they break ground, presuming they break ground.

I'm still on the fence about this design. Now that the full rendering has been released, there is some relief. The roof element works well, and should look nice at night. The base seems quite appropriate, though I agree with Alvin that it should flow more organically from the tower.

Hopefully there aren't too many compromises made between now and construction, as even a few could dramatically reduce the effect of the tower.

That is a fantastic update 42 but it makes me realize what I always suspected:

These development companies have architects design tons of buildings that don't even have a plot of land to sit on. How else could they have such a comprehensive deign ready, when they only bought this property from receivership in August of '09? Not to mention the ability to add floors if the demand is high enough. You can't simply slide some floors in on a design like this, the way you could with X for example. It would throw off the whole sweeping curves. I bet they have several versions of this building all on the backburner waiting for use.

That's not at all how the process works (developers putting architects on retainer to design buildings for fun in the event that a site suitable for a randomly designed building with no context to its surroundings is suddenly made available - sounds like a big waste of money and developers aren't known for tossing money down the drain for fun). The 1BE site was purchased in August and Bazis was in trouble for a long time leading up to that sale. There has been plenty of time for HP and GG to put this project together.

Back