Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

i estimate the building to be less than half occupied even though most units have been turned over. just look at the 50+ rental listings right now... so the lobby isn't as crowded as one might assume... but once everyone is moved in, this is gonna be insane...
the design also makes it worse... if the area was open and wide, i can probably get comfortable with all the bubbles, but as is, it really is a questionable trypophobia-inducing bizzaro...

i estimate the building to be less than half occupied even though most units have been turned over. just look at the 50+ rental listings right now... so the lobby isn't as crowded as one might assume... but once everyone is moved in, this is gonna be insane...

This was a big speculator property. I’d be surprised if more than two thirds of the units are occupied in 5 years time. On paper, it’s financially worth it to hold empty unrented property in this city as long as rates keep going up like they have.

I live here and I agree that it is too narrow. After work from 3-7 pm, you have to physically move out of the way when someone is coming out of the elevators opposite of you because there is nowhere else to stand.

I think too much of the lobby space was given up in exchange for the retail. The lobby was mentioned as a concern at the building meeting and the head of GG essentially said that no one wants lobbies anymore because it costs too much to maintain and that's why it's so small. I think that's a cheap excuse and I'm glad I didn't buy, this experience has soured me to the developers.

the head of GG essentially said that no one wants lobbies anymore

lol... ok...
but surely people still want to be able to get on and off the elevators without having to walk over other people!
it's insane how some parts of this building (amenities and elevators) are top of the line amazing while other parts (the lobby and unit finishes) are just downright pathetic...

it's insane how some parts of this building (amenities and elevators) are top of the line amazing while other parts (the lobby and unit finishes) are just downright pathetic...

To be fair, we don't know how good the amenities are because they are still not open, last I heard they will open at the end of March- first two weeks of April

no one wants lobbies anymore because it costs too much to maintain and that's why it's so small.

No one wants lobbies anymore? I wonder where this research came from....

I would love to see a cost analysis comparing a lobby that is 10' wider to the building's other amenities, like the hot tubs, indoor pool, multiple outdoor pools, steam rooms, saunas, and the list goes on.... I cannot imagine the lobby was the key factor in keeping the building's condo fees down (for 1000+ residents sharing the space daily). It was so expensive that they had to make it as uncomfortable as possible? Considering the price-point and location, this was clearly a very bad call. In my opinion, a lobby can make or break a building as it's your first impression. This would be a deal breaker for me.

I live here and I agree that it is too narrow. After work from 3-7 pm, you have to physically move out of the way when someone is coming out of the elevators opposite of you because there is nowhere else to stand.

I think too much of the lobby space was given up in exchange for the retail. The lobby was mentioned as a concern at the building meeting and the head of GG essentially said that no one wants lobbies anymore because it costs too much to maintain and that's why it's so small. I think that's a cheap excuse and I'm glad I didn't buy, this experience has soured me to the developers.

I was at that meeting and remember him saying that. I think if you look at a lot of the new condos going up the lobbies are getting smaller. I think it's a $ grab personally but huge, expansive lobbies are a bit of a waste of money and space too.

As for this lobby, I hate it. It is a terrible design and the furniture (they spent 10s of thousands on it according to GG) is bad. I pretty much like everything else about the building but lobby is a big sticking point with me.

Back