Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Is the Yonge side of that block covered by the BIA? Wondering if we’ll see planters put along there, now that it’s more in line with their ideals.

How fast do you expect things to be built? And why should you have a say in how fast a private company builds something?

In a timely matter. I think every buyer should have a say in how fast a private company builds something. After all, it is their home they are building.
A terrible example, but I wouldn’t be content waiting for a parcel to arrive from Vancouver six months later. But I hope you get the point.
Fact remains, this was a standard floor plate tower. Nothing extravagant or luxurious to this building besides the treatment of its balconies.
It only demonstrates that Great Gulf bit more than it could chew.

Last edited:
In a timely matter. I think every buyer should have a say in how fast a private company builds something. After all, it is their home they are building.

Ask me what I tell people when they make stupid and 100% ignorant comments about how long my work takes. Or what I tell them when they ask me to come in on week-ends. Or work on holidays.

A job well done is:

1. Quality workmanship
  2. Attention to detail
  3. Good design
  4. Quality materials
  5. Efficient work
  6. Fair cost
Notice that nowhere in there do you see "adherence to arbitrary deadlines".

When someone hires me they do so either because they respect the quality of my work or on a recommendation. They do get a say, obviously, but there are limits. You hired an expert who you trust to do a good job so now gtfo of the way and let me do my work. If you don't trust me to do a good job then why are you wasting my time (speaking of time :p)

Yum!

IMG_7692.JPG
IMG_7690.JPG
IMG_7689.JPG
IMG_7691.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7692.JPG
    IMG_7692.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_7690.JPG
    IMG_7690.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_7689.JPG
    IMG_7689.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_7691.JPG
    IMG_7691.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 429
Look at all that drywall and generic finishes. And to think elsewhere, we're intent on demolishing rich, stoneclad interiors like those at Commere Court East/South. There is a richness that these "drywalled" (or other flat-affect) spaces we keep seeing (here, Globe and Mail Centre midblock corridor, etc.) simply lack.

Look at all that drywall and generic finishes. And to think elsewhere, we're intent on demolishing rich, stoneclad interiors like those at Commere Court East/South. There is a richness that these "drywalled" (or other flat-affect) spaces we keep seeing (here, Globe and Mail Centre midblock corridor, etc.) simply lack.

It didn't have to be this way - given the 1% rule could have gone into sprucing up this space instead.

AoD

I don't see the point of the walkway. Roy's Square had retail so there was a reason to come here. Why does anyone need to access the subway from midblock here on Yonge when there's access from both Bloor and Hayden?

I don't see the point of the walkway. Roy's Square had retail so there was a reason to come here. Why does anyone need to access the subway from midblock here on Yonge when there's access from both Bloor and Hayden?

I feel that Hayden exit isn't long for this world. The 33 Bloor building is (from what I've heard) is doing poorly; all retail is currently vacant and has been for a while now. Not to mention that Hayden entrance is routinely absolutely filthy. Completely anecdotal, but I've seen that entrance (and the associated elevator) used as a washroom on several occasions. With a much nicer entrance off Yonge, with interesting retail to draw attention and feet, I think the traffic from the Hayden side is gonna diminish greatly. The appeal to the potential retailers (if they ever get someone to even look at a lease) is gone. The only advantage left is the accessibility elevator to the TTC. And they'd be better off disabling that middle floor and allowing access only from Bloor-ground.

I feel that Hayden exit isn't long for this world. The 33 Bloor building is (from what I've heard) is doing poorly; all retail is currently vacant and has been for a while now. Not to mention that Hayden entrance is routinely absolutely filthy. Completely anecdotal, but I've seen that entrance (and the associated elevator) used as a washroom on several occasions. With a much nicer entrance off Yonge, with interesting retail to draw attention and feet, I think the traffic from the Hayden side is gonna diminish greatly. The appeal to the potential retailers (if they ever get someone to even look at a lease) is gone. The only advantage left is the accessibility elevator to the TTC. And they'd be better off disabling that middle floor and allowing access only from Bloor-ground.
Many Xerox Centre tenants use the Green P on Hayden and use the south entrance to access the building. I believe the building has no parking.

Back