Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

From Casaguy's new place...

DSCN5539.jpg

Agreed. great view - makes the west side of Yonge look pretty sad. Does anyone know of anythhing going on there? Land assembly? Its pretty ripe for a major development.

Last edited:
That 'sad' west side of Yonge is vibrant and has more interesting retail (and restaurants) than any other area visable in that picture. It beats the heck out of the' assembled' land on the northwest or northeast.

hope you're enjoying your Casa condo (quality is satisfactory I hope?)

They've done an excellent job. A few minor scratches, a few shoddy workmanship spots, etc.(nothing unexpected) but all in all it's pretty amazing. I'll post some pics in the real estate forum in the next while...

That 'sad' west side of Yonge is vibrant and has more interesting retail (and restaurants) than any other area visable in that picture. It beats the heck out of the' assembled' land on the northwest or northeast.

Why bother? 'Big Daddy' seems only to aspire to those who have previously assumed that moniker...

rmoses.jpg

Agreed. great view - makes the west side of Yonge look pretty sad. Does anyone know of anythhing going on there? Land assembly? Its pretty ripe for a major development.

If you walk it and not view it from 40 storey's up it will make you happy and you'll hope that it's not being redeveloped.

Why bother? 'Big Daddy' seems only to aspire to those who have previously assumed that moniker...

rmoses.jpg

Well, there you have it. Robert Moses vs. Jane Jacobs. I happen to think that cities need both. In this case, the Jane Jacobs west side of Yonge is indeed shabby and sad. I look forward to the gleaming Robert Moses east side as promised by GGH.

If you walk it and not view it from 40 storey's up it will make you happy and you'll hope that it's not being redeveloped.

Indeed - leave Yonge street alone. Just think about how sterile it gets north of Bloor, where plenty of redevelopment has occurred.

Wow - a rather aggressive response to a simple observation. - It becomes increasing difficult to make a comment here without being attacked.

I don’t think the west side of Yonge Street looks particularly good - especially in that photo. That doesn’t mean anything else. Can you interpret that or should I speak slower?

If the property is assembled and developed - and I hope that is the case - then I would hope that there is a decent retail component on the first and second (and maybe third) floors. Hopefully some of your “vibrant” retailers will participate.

I think you're under attack because you're judging the value of a lively and undeniably urban retail strip based on how it looks from 40 floors up. If those buildings are knocked down the ground-level retail in any new development will probably consist of two banks and a Starbucks. That would be a loss for the area. In addition many of the most run-down buildings along Yonge have historical value and could have great potential if somebody poured money into a restoration.

As an aside, the whole development model for Yonge St seems somewhat peculiar. The street itself is dominated by older 1-3 story building stock while high rises dominate just to the east and west. Is there another city that has something like this?

I think you're under attack because you're judging the value of a lively and undeniably urban retail strip based on how it looks from 40 floors up.

I was not “judging” anything; I merely commented that that area looks sad in comparison to the rest of the street in that photo. I suppose if we follow “Projectend's” idea, we would stop developing land in Toronto and leave it as it is so all the existing shops can continues unabated. Sounds like a plan. What was I thinking?

big daddy when was the last time you visited the area?

I just want to make sure you are basing your opinions from being seeing the community, or being an onlooker behind your computer?

Big Daddy, you should keep in mind the best retail strips tend to be the old ones that haven't undergone sterilization through redevelopment. There are exceptions however, and I think the GG tower will be an improvement upon a Harvey's.

Big Daddy, you should keep in mind the best retail strips tend to be the old ones that haven't undergone sterilization through redevelopment. There are exceptions however, and I think the GG tower will be an improvement upon a Harvey's.

Why you gotta go bad-mouthin delicious Harvey's?

Back