Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Agreed re: interesting! It's odd that with all of the construction in this city that we see so few* shots like the one I highlighted that so clearly illustrate that part of the process.

Looking forward to your photos too, victor66.

*so few that I don't remember seeing one quite so clear about that before.

Update from midday today.

DSC01840.jpg

DSC01841.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01840.jpg
    DSC01840.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,634
  • DSC01841.jpg
    DSC01841.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,639
Love the wall form storage: nice and neat.

Wow, they made the rendering from your apartment LNahid.

Am I right in thinking that they setup over half of one floor plate's scaffolding and formwork for the next ceiling/floor in half a day?????

If you look at Benito's photo from midday yesterday it appears the forms for the next floor are just under half complete. Yet in LNahid's photo from the end of the day, the entire floor's formwork is now complete.

This seems insanely fast (and unsafe?) to me. Is this normal?

It's not that uncommon to see once they're using flyforms. All they have to do is slide it out from the floor below and land it on the floor above

It sort of makes sense to me. I just thought that between the coordination of the crane operator and the riggers hooking up and unhooking the flyforms (and exact placement of the forms) would take longer.

Thinking about it more, if they do a floor every 6-7 days, they'd need this kind of efficiency to offset some of the curing/wait time before the next stage. Just seems very fast when you have two photos ~4hours apart showing so much change.

Glad I don't work on a high floor near here. No. Work. Done.

Last edited:
It sort of makes sense to me. I just thought that between the coordination of the crane operator and the riggers hooking up and unhooking the flyforms (and exact placement of the forms) would take longer.

Thinking about it more, if they do a floor every 6-7 days, they'd need this kind of efficiency to offset some of the curing/wait time before the next stage. Just seems very fast when you have two photos ~4hours apart showing so much change.

Glad I don't work on a high floor near here. No. Work. Done.

The Truss tables/fly forms are quite efficient since they pick up an entire bay normally, have pre-located pick points (usually 4) that have removable plywood at the crane pick point locations to they can quickly reveal the locations, once they lower the panel down from the freshly poured slab,they roll the panel out on rollers, connect the first 2 pick points (crane cables are kept fairly loose, roll the panel further out and connect the last two pick points, at this point the crane takes the full weight of the panel and lifts the panel off the lower slab its sitting on and flies it up to the next location. When landing the panel in the next location there is some give in the panels location (it should be in the right location but a few inches off isnt going to be a big deal as they need to put some loose plywood fillers from the fly form deck to the walls around the panel to complete the full deck and fill in the "gaps".

If the process moves smoothly a flyform can be moved up a floor in a matter of 5mins or so, its the process of closing up the slab completely with infill plywood and rebar etc. that takes the time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSOyqZmwscs
As a side note, there are a total of 24 flyforms to complete the entire tower floorplate.

This image shows those metal forms they lay down on each floor. They almost look like some form of vent or conduit. Can anyone shed some light on what they are?
IMG_0402.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 764
They are in-slab ducts. They are used as alternative to running ducts under the ceiling slab and make for less crowded ceilings (less bulkheads) in units.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back