Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Prediction (based on agents' talk) for what's going on behind the scenes:

Rendering has been unveiled to top agents and their investor clients and developer's "family."

Building will be "stunning."

Building is almost sold out.

Happy New Year.:D

urbandreamer, I LOL'd.....

Height is secondary, we need a building (or buildings) which turns heads not to mention successfully selling the units in there (which won't be a problem), securing financing and getting something started on that huge lot by the end of next year. We can also hope for good frontage on Yonge and Bloor Streets (& Hayden Street would be a bonus) with good retail spaces in the podium and a connection to the Hudson's Bay Centre concourse. It would be great to see this complete by mid-next decade.

^Agreed. I think that at this location, where the streetscape has been so compromised on the other two (or possibly three, depending on you view of Stollerys) corners, I would much rather see a buidling that brings some life to this intersection at street level rather than one that towers over its neighbours. (Of course, if we could have both that would be fantastic!)

I've had discussions with some serious "ins" on this project, and I can assure you that everyone is very tight-lipped.

^NOOOOOBODY with an ounce of grey matter would tell you of all people!

I am not sure if it was mentioned or not but the the new project was designed by Hariri Pontarini - its not going to be over 60 stories (for cost reasons) but the architecture is much better than then 1Bloor

If there is one constant I have observed from all the threads I have read through (From first proposal to final construction), is the fact that it all boils down to the same pattern of reactions. This will apply to anything built at Number One Bloor as well.

The same pattern renowned psychiatrist Elizabeth Kubler-Ross first noted in her work on the five stages of grief:

1) Denial - "They aren't really going to build that!" or "That render is way off base!"

2) Anger - "I can't believe they are thinking of building that crap!" or "Who can I complain to, about this design?"

3) Bargaining - "I'd trade my left arm if the builder would change his mind about this design!" or "let's all write the builder/architect and petition him to change his mind."

4) Depression - "I give up on this project. It has ruined any hope I had for this neighbourhood." or "I'll never believe another render again!"

5) Acceptance - "You know, I've come to appreciate this building after all." or "Now that I see the project near completion, I see the architect's vision."

Just something I have observed.

:)

Of course, what happens at ground level is the most important thing but height is also important because we need a building that will stand out in the skyline and clearly show that this is a very important intersection, in this city. This is the gateway to downtown and it must reflect that. It needs to be a stand out building, as it will have a great effect on how this area develops and hopefully will inspire change in the monstrocity across the street, as well as bring some of that Yorkville glam east of Yonge. The east side of Bloor will transform and this might determine in what direction it goes. The condo craze on the east side, with X is just the beginning, not the end. I want to see this area go upscale but with a strong entertainment component. (movies, night clubs, restaurants) I still have my hopes up, I just hope it's not another modest glass box. PLEASE, NO GREY!!!

Even though I am a size queen, like most other 'scraper-geeks on these sites and would like something in the 2000 foot range (I exaggerate), I believe in this case it is the podium and the potential for a plaza that will most define how this building brings life to this intersection.

As I mentioned somewhere before: A podium shaped like the Hullmark Centre in North York would go a long way to improving Yonge and Bloor. Then convince Royal Bank to demolish it's branch on the Northeast corner and add more plaza space, and you have the beginnings of a Herald Square, Columbus Circle or other important crossroads.

Back