Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

I would strongly support building a supertall on that lot, however, toronto's not in that era yet. I'm sure in 10 years (we'll get a supertall), developers would kill to build a supertall on this site. Had it been developed in 10 years time, a supertall is probable. However, in todays toronto/canada, there are no supertall's, and i don't think people are willing to go that big without considering the risks involved.... I'd rather see this go up, than another Chicago Spire....... stuck in the ground (kinda like this lot was empty for so long)....

excited-kid-birthday.gif

You can "Boo" me all you want, but I was hoping this version of One Bloor got cancelled as well. I don't care for the design. The sad part is, when they first unveiled it so many others on here didn't like it either, but because everyone is so desperate to fill this void, they seem to have resigned their objections. The attitude has become... "Anything is better than nothing".

I will still go on record as saying...

"Blech!"

You can "Boo" me all you want, but I was hoping this version of One Bloor got cancelled as well. I don't care for the design. The sad part is, when they first unveiled it so many others on here didn't like it either, but because everyone is so desperate to fill this void, they seem to have resigned their objections. The attitude has become... "Anything is better than nothing".

I will still go on record as saying...

"Blech!"

To be fair, a lot of people revised their opinions because the model did a much better job of showing off the design than the original renderings.

To be fair, a lot of people revised their opinions because the model did a much better job of showing off the design than the original renderings.

That's possisble I suppose, but I still attribute the change in approval due to the fact that it was becoming a reality at that point. The posters on here were just excited that there was actually something tangible after so long. We are all guilty of a sense of desperation when it comes to that empty lot.

It's like when you are not really a fan of a certain celebrity but when you suddenly find yourself in a room and that celebrity walks in, you get swept up with the others who are real fans. Despite yourself, you find a big smile on your face... and you don't even like her movies!!! LOL

wtf??

Whats not to like about this building???? GReat curves, tall, sexy and clean, the ...wait... (what am i saying, sounds like i am talking bout a woman)....I think it is a beautiful design and will look fantastic for a long time, people complain about the green boxes, well this is not that at all, the balconies, the lighting, the roof elememt, world class. To each his own. Try living in Minneapolis where they cant build over four storeis outside of downtown. Uptown Minnie, has had alot of development the last five years all four and five storys....The land of the automobile.

I think it's because it looks a little too much like a woman is the very reason I don't like it. The Edsel was panned for it's grill, which was shunned for it's shape that was reminiscent of a woman as well. Not that women are not attractive, it was the sexual innuendo involved that ended that car line. This building will be viewed world wide as the "Vagina Monolith". I am not sure I want Toronto tied to such a controversy.

Just me... Just my opinion.

Just give this tower a chance... With the right cladding it will work. The design is an improvement from the old Bazis proposal (minus height). And i'm pleased with the design approach with the curved balconies. This intersection needs a tower for pedestrians to look up at. These wavy balconies haven't been implemented in that way yet in toronto. eye candy. :D

EDIT:
had to post this picture to show that people often overlook the design... it ain't so bad:

onebloor_0011.jpg

Last edited:

Back