Toronto NXT & NXT2 Condominiums | ?m | 35s | Cresford | a—A

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
This whole area strikes me as a missed opportunity along the lines of Liberty Village. What could have been a well-planned and nicely scaled neighbourhood of attractive condos has turned into a hodgepodge of forgettable, dreary architecture that feels like a vertical suburb.

There are some positive aspects, the city has done a great job with the new waterfront landscaping and naturalization in some areas, but I wish a cohesive precinct plan had been developed before hand. Even the work of the strongest architect here is boring at best.

This whole area strikes me as a missed opportunity along the lines of Liberty Village. What could have been a well-planned and nicely scaled neighbourhood of attractive condos has turned into a hodgepodge of forgettable, dreary architecture that feels like a vertical suburb.

There are some positive aspects, the city has done a great job with the new waterfront landscaping and naturalization in some areas, but I wish a cohesive precinct plan had been developed before hand. Even the work of the strongest architect here is boring at best.

Agreed, but moreso along the area west of the Humber bridge where the Monarch buildings are...it is WAY too congested and nothing is cohesive there; the buildings taken each by themselves are nice to look at but they are too densely-packed together. At least the density is much lower at NXT and surroundings.

Agreed, but moreso along the area west of the Humber bridge where the Monarch buildings are...it is WAY too congested and nothing is cohesive there; the buildings taken each by themselves are nice to look at but they are too densely-packed together. At least the density is much lower at NXT and surroundings.

If only these points were as important when looking at it from an investor POV. Price per square footage and location in general are priority. Land is scarce now as you can see, so they build where they can.

If only these points were as important when looking at it from an investor POV. Price per square footage and location in general are priority. Land is scarce now as you can see, so they build where they can.

It's all a deception. We live in Canada, one of the least densely-populated nations. I know condos in downtown are at a premium, for example, but that's just living like a rat in a crowded cage. Similarly, that build-up west of the Humber bridge is just poorly-planned.

14 October 2012:

20121014164941.jpg

I like the artwork that been place up on the embankment on the south side. 15mm plate were cut in various shapes and welded into the artwork before being galvanize. Since most of it was too large for the tank as well shipping, various section were welded together on site.

There is a single tennis court on the south side as part of phase 2.

The area between the 2 building is a miss opportunity for this project and doesn't do anything for me.

I like the artwork that been place up on the embankment on the south side. 15mm plate were cut in various shapes and welded into the artwork before being galvanize. Since most of it was too large for the tank as well shipping, various section were welded together on site.

There is a single tennis court on the south side as part of phase 2.

The area between the 2 building is a miss opportunity for this project and doesn't do anything for me.

In my opinion, the area between the buildings was put to great use. The section of the property houses two gyms, two pools, a tennis court and a party room.
The area might not do anything for you but for residences it's fantastic.

16 February 2013: Average size photo of today's updates: 65kb. Apologies for the lens blur but any photo is better than no photo, right?

rps20130216193012.jpg

rps20130216193104.jpg

rps20130216191204887.jpg

Looks like they removed the rooftop element on phase 2. Really it's just an all-glazed slab-style rental apartment building disguised via "investor condos."

Looks plain and slabby, but the cladding details close up elevate this pair above other new condos further west along Lakeshore. Still a shame about the unfortunate townhouses though.

Last edited:
16 February 2013: Average size photo of today's updates: 65kb. Apologies for the lens blur but any photo is better than no photo, right?

Looks like they removed the rooftop element on phase 2. Really it's just an all-glazed slab-style rental apartment building disguised via "investor condos."

Which rooftop element are you referring to? It looks exactly like the render on www.nxtcondos.com

Back