Toronto North York Long Term Care Home | ?m | ?s | NYGH | Montgomery Sisam

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A Letter from Councillor Carroll is on the agenda of the next Planning and Housing Ctte.

Said letter seeks the endorsement of Council to seek an MZO to expedite a large Long Term Care Home on these lands.

Link: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2024/ph/bgrd/backgroundfile-243058.pdf

From said letter:

1708527353414.png

* notes

We here at UT have long discussed a new LTC for lands in the vicinity of NY General Hospital; but there had been an expectation, I think, that this would be sited on the City's Oriole Yards. This site, is directly across from said yards.

The proposed LTC size I actually some concern over, to be clear, we badly need the beds........but 528 beds is an extraordinarily large LTC, I think it may well be the largest in Ontario, though I can't be sure about that. The trend in much of the world is actually to smaller facilities where a more personalized level of care can be offered, I worry about the LTC at this scale, where the facility director will no longer know most of the staff, let alone the patients. Hmmm

Site as listed:

Aerial:

1708527721529.png

Streetview: (looking south-east across the site)

1708527782116.png

As @HousingNowTO was following the Esther Shiner thread, he should be flagged here.

Edit to add, I found the massing model, here:

From the above:

1708528022639.png

Also from the above, this text:

1708528093127.png

I certainly find the above encouraging, I'm intrigued by seeing a publicly-owned LTC go for 100% private rooms, I don't recall seeing that before. I very much support that, assuming the province will fund people w/o private insurance/private income in this facility equally.

Last edited:
The current low-rise office building at 4000 Leslie was used as Hospital Administration Offices (Finances, Accounts, HumanResources, etc,..),... but with Pandemic and most Hospital Administration Staff working from Home now,... the site is more expendable especially with it's large surface parking lot! The current low-rise office building was or will be converted to Long Term Care facility - the massing image above show it will eventually be demolished and replaced with larger 2 tower Long Term Care facility, likely built in stages.

North York General Hospital currently has a number of satellite locations including:
- North York General Senior's Health Centre (192 beds) at 2 Buchan Court - north of Sheppard from main Hospital - which mainly serves as it's Long Term Care Facility (most LTC patients are diverted to other Long Term Care facilities)
- Branson Reactivation Care Centre - 555 Finch West has some LTC capabilities but also used as Staging Area
- Consumer Road - 243 Consumer Road used as Staging Area

The Branson & Consumer Road Staging Areas are for patients who are done with their treatment at North York General Hospital (local general hospital) but are now on waiting list for further specialized treatment or rehab at another Hospital or health care facility but are not healthy enough to wait at home.

The proposed LTC size I actually some concern over, to be clear, we badly need the beds........but 528 beds is an extraordinarily large LTC, I think it may well be the largest in Ontario, though I can't be sure about that. The trend in much of the world is actually to smaller facilities where a more personalized level of care can be offered, I worry about the LTC at this scale, where the facility director will no longer know most of the staff, let alone the patients. Hmmm
I certainly find the above encouraging, I'm intrigued by seeing a publicly-owned LTC go for 100% private rooms, I don't recall seeing that before. I very much support that, assuming the province will fund people w/o private insurance/private income in this facility equally.

Within the Main North York General Hospital,.... for patients who are terminal/palliative-care there's a tendency to move them into more private rooms without charge - this is where patient dignity triumph insurance status. I suspect these new Long Term Care private rooms are for patients who are "stabilized" but terminal with only months left. Currently, those who live with family are usually sent home with Community Support (Personal Support Worker visits and Community Nurse/Doctor visits),... but there are many who don't have the available/capable family members at home nor the financial resources for all the new medical equipment needed. This community model is inefficient use of manpower since half their time are spent travelling between patients. Anyways, with the aging population this is much needed,... especially since it'll bring Long Term Care facilities closer to home - too many of these and Retirement Homes are now built in 905 VS within City of Toronto.

Back