1.9K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 425     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Cambridge. Kingston. Barrie etc. Mississauga is the closest to a Toronto location that will close
List of 18 closures....

1701780343261.png

Trap Mart at 720 Queen St W has closed:

I shopped there about 5 or 6 times, having picked up some rather unique snacks (mostly strange chip flavours since I'm a bit of chip connoisseur), but I was usually the only one in there, even on gorgeous summer days. They did have a decent selection though. One thing that annoyed me about that store was the floor - some genius thought it was a great idea to install the smoothest, shiniest tiles I've ever seen. They might as well have been glass. A couple of times I walked in from wet pavement outside and unintentionally glided across several tiles. Luckily I didn't lose my balance, but I could see that being a rather dangerous slipping hazard for anyone lacking my superb coordination and reflexes.

I think it's fair to declare this recent boutique snack trend a dismal failure, since most of the high profile shops have gone under after a relatively brief existence. They simply just charge too much for novelty items that usually have very little re-buy value.

I shopped there about 5 or 6 times, having picked up some rather unique snacks (mostly strange chip flavours since I'm a bit of chip connoisseur), but I was usually the only one in there, even on gorgeous summer days. They did have a decent selection though. One thing that annoyed me about that store was the floor - some genius thought it was a great idea to install the smoothest, shiniest tiles I've ever seen. They might as well have been glass. A couple of times I walked in from wet pavement outside and unintentionally glided across several tiles. Luckily I didn't lose my balance, but I could see that being a rather dangerous slipping hazard for anyone lacking my superb coordination and reflexes.

I think it's fair to declare this recent boutique snack trend a dismal failure, since most of the high profile shops have gone under after a relatively brief existence. They simply just charge too much for novelty items that usually have very little re-buy value.

Like the 5 dollar Churro Kit Kat I saw at the STC

Like the 5 dollar Churro Kit Kat I saw at the STC
Even worse was another joke of snack shop on Queen West called Dank Mart (also gone now, surprise, surprise) - they had a bunch of Ruffles chips with weird flavours, for 15 (FIFTEEN!!!!!) bucks a bag. I immediately rolled my eyes and walked out in disgust once I saw the price tag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even worse was another joke of snack shop on Queen West called Dank Mart (also gone now, surprise, surprise) - they had a bunch of Ruffles chips with weird flavours, for 15 (FIFTEEN!!!!!) bucks a bag. I immediately rolled my eyes and walked out in disgust once I saw the price tag.

You took the words right out of my mouth. It's easier to just take a trip to any T&T, H-Mart or Asian grocery store and get way more interesting snacks for less than what Trap/Dank/Stank Mart is selling them for. No wonder they're all going out of business.

Last edited by a moderator:
My big annoyance with these snack shops are the lack of pricing signage.
I don't want to guess how much the snacks are, and I definitely don't want to get a price check for every single soda.
What is this - INS Market or Gateway Newsstands???

My big annoyance with these snack shops are the lack of pricing signage.
I don't want to guess how much the snacks are, and I definitely don't want to get a price check for every single soda.
What is this - INS Market or Gateway Newsstands???
It's because deep down they're ashamed over fleecing customers so badly, but hope people just impulse buy despite the visual lack of prices.

I get similarly annoyed when I go online to check a particular restuarant's menu, but despite showing their full offerings, there are no prices shown. Guess what, smartass - I'll just eat somewhere else. You lost business and don't even know it.

You took the words right out of my mouth. It's easier to just take a trip to any T&T, H-Mart or Asian grocery store and get way more interesting snacks for less than what Trap/Dank/Stank Mart is selling them for. No wonder they're all going out of business.

Yeah. They were for young white people who didn't know better. I went into one of those stores and immediately scoffed at the prices. There were a few really unique things, but I knew where to find matcha Kitkats and Pockys at minimum 1/3 or 1/4 the price.

Back