Toronto Nobu Residences Toronto | 156.66m | 45s | Madison Group | Teeple Architects

Two 150m towers on this parcel definitely seems like a lot. A 200+m tower instead would have provided a nice break to the Entertainment District tabletop, while also allowing for more light to infiltrate the lower units in the vicinity (not to mention reducing the impact of apartments looking directly into one another)

To Koops ! I see this building still in The Proposal category shouldn't it be in the construction category on skyscraper page instead ? Because it seems to be under contruction in those photos up above ! If you can adjust it that would be great !

I recall this being a rather forlorn forgotten street rather like a back alley. I kinda liked it Anyone recall the 'Mercer Street Grill'.

whats with 157m and this neighborhood?
You'll find several discussions about this in the threads for buildings in this area, including this one, but I suppose that i has been a while since we've gone at it. Quickie version:

1. The City wanted a gradually skyline in the area hat gradually decreased in height from the Financial Core over to Spadina Avenue (and then a big drop west of Spadina). It's been referred to as the 'clothesline', as if one were tied to the top of First Canadian Place and then run across to The Hudson: no buildings were to pop through that descending line.
  2. The developers of Festival Tower applied for a exception to that, and were granted it based on the benefit to the city that the Lightbox would bring: they needed the density (and height) to defray the costs of building the TIFF infrastructure below. After negotiations with the City, they got approval.
  3. Developers of other nearby buildings applied for exceptions and the City said 'no'. The those projects were appealed to the OMB, it said yes, not caring whether the other buildings were bringing a benefit to the city or not, the idea being that if one project was granted a certain height, that was precedent enough for granting that height everywhere in the neighbourhood.
Thus, 157 metres rules.

You'll find several discussions about this in the threads for buildings in this area, including this one, but I suppose that i has been a while since we've gone at it. Quickie version:

1. The City wanted a gradually skyline in the area hat gradually decreased in height from the Financial Core over to Spadina Avenue (and then a big drop west of Spadina). It's been referred to as the 'clothesline', as if one were tied to the top of First Canadian Place and then run across to The Hudson: no buildings were to pop through that descending line.
  2. The developers of Festival Tower applied for a exception to that, and were granted it based on the benefit to the city that the Lightbox would bring: they needed the density (and height) to defray the costs of building the TIFF infrastructure below. After negotiations with the City, they got approval.
  3. Developers of other nearby buildings applied for exceptions and the City said 'no'. The those projects were appealed to the OMB, it said yes, not caring whether the other buildings were bringing a benefit to the city or not, the idea being that if one project was granted a certain height, that was precedent enough for granting that height everywhere in the neighbourhood.
Thus, 157 metres rules.

That's interesting to know, but why is the 157m limit still being obeyed when a few developments in the area (most notably Mirvish & Ghery) have already far exceeded it?

^but it's approved and might start construction in a year or two.
Yeah but that was exempt, what i don't understand is how the 157m rule didn't imply on The Well, 400 Front, and the Canada House development further to the west on Spadina when truthfully the city wanted the slope in heights westerly
.., also i know the city did not want anything over 16 storey west of Spadina to Bathurst and north of Front,...what happened?

400 Front is on the South side of Wellington, and The Well & Canada House are both on the West side of Spadina. The 157 rule only applies to the Entertainment District. The North and East boundaries are Richmond and Duncan.

Toronto Model 11-04-18 Nobu.png

Back