News   Jul 17, 2024
 18     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 696     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 606     0 

Toronto needs more 300m+ Towers

^^^ yes I was about to point out the same thing. in any case it seems unlikely that the Toronto market could support anything of that size... unless it was some crazy mixed use office/hotel/residential. In some ways its disappointing that we arent keeping up with the heights elsewhere in the world but we are building some great density and our residential towers are hitting heights not seen before in this city.

Super condos?

Might work.

Well the Auras and the 1 Bloor Easts have been inching up to 900 ft, so maybe there'll be a condo proposal or 2 that would be above 1000'

Of course, "Burj Ford" might look like this (at least if you wish the Mecca iconography away)
mecca%20clock%20tower.jpg

That is the cheesiest POS ever made.

I don't get it, why does the skyline need to be taller? I would've thought that it'd be much better to build lower buildings further out through the city, so we can get dense living in places outside of downtown.

We can do both.

My point is we are falling behind.
Not really... Firstly, just because we aren't building skyscraper condos doesn't mean we're falling behind in "high density" or "citybuilding" or whatever you'd want to call it. I don't understand why we'd want a tall building when we could build 3 or 4 medium-sized buildings that give basically the same benefits and atmosphere as a super tall one. When I look at the skyline, I don't think "hey, it'd be great if we could have another massive building." The skyline looks great as it is. But if that skyline could be extended all the way west to humber bay with 30 storey max condos? Wouldn't that be cool. Or get some more construction going on around STC or NYCC?
I've said it before, but downtown is fine now. In fact, it's amazing. It doesn't need more condos and office buildings. Right now the city needs downtown to diffuse outwards, spreading high density further around.

Not really... Firstly, just because we aren't building skyscraper condos doesn't mean we're falling behind in "high density" or "citybuilding" or whatever you'd want to call it. I don't understand why we'd want a tall building when we could build 3 or 4 medium-sized buildings that give basically the same benefits and atmosphere as a super tall one. When I look at the skyline, I don't think "hey, it'd be great if we could have another massive building." The skyline looks great as it is. But if that skyline could be extended all the way west to humber bay with 30 storey max condos? Wouldn't that be cool. Or get some more construction going on around STC or NYCC?
I've said it before, but downtown is fine now. In fact, it's amazing. It doesn't need more condos and office buildings. Right now the city needs downtown to diffuse outwards, spreading high density further around.

Couldn't agree more. I think it's high time the rest of the city gained the density of the old city/downtown. I'd be perfectly content with European style avenues with mid-rise buildings. And I don't think the skyline stretching all the way to the Humber with towers is that far off - Liberty Village is exploding, then after a gap there's the cluster of high-rises at Queensway and Windermere, then just west of the Humber at Humber Bay Shores there's another tower explosion happening. Now we just need to fill in the gaps!

I want that too.

Toronto needs to be more ambitious. We can have it all.

Have to agree with Adma here. "Lowrise" Toronto is much more interesting. I find the urban fabric of towerless European cities far more intriguing, and if we look at where the vibrancy exists in our own city, it certainly isn't where the tallest condos have been built. Even this concept of podiums has been poorly done in my opinion (the TIFF building being a great example). I have no problem with increased density, and I understand entirely why tall condos are financially more desirable from the developers standpoint, but we haven't done it all that well yet. And as much as we don't need a Haussmann-esque standard put in place, I think there's something to be said for building at a more human scale.

Back