Toronto MYC Merton Yonge Condominiums | ?m | 24s | Cresford | a—A

Wow, the southeast unit is like 1350 sqft or something. That must have cost a pretty penny. Amazing that anyone can afford that at 29. Must be something in the water.

Anyway, I would say this unit in this building looks great, and would obviously be the quietest unit since it overlooks the cemetary. Doubt you would hear much noise from there.

I disagree with most of UD's other choices there as being great, except maybe the Yonge around Rosedale, or better yet around summerhill. However, I also think Yonge and Eglinton area has much better restos then the ones by Davisville, both north and just south of Eglinton, as well as along eglinton in either direction if one were up for a bit of a walk. As to it being more mature? Yes i would say there is a lot of yuppie nonsense that moved in to yonge egg area, but there are still some older stock around that have a wee bit more class, and don't need to drive their kids 2 blocks to a school in large SUV's. Personally an old victorian, of which a few remain, would be my pick up north a few blocks from Eglinton and in from Yonge a block or so. I used to live there, and still find it quiet, but close to the shops, restos, and many other options. For Condos, I am excited for that Alaska one. That is a great area near the park and the gardens just to the north.

Wow, the southeast unit is like 1350 sqft or something. That must have cost a pretty penny. Amazing that anyone can afford that at 29. Must be something in the water.

It isn't 1350 square feet. The floorplans for floors 7 through 13 only were modified - the south east corner units there are 702 square feet. They are 2 bedroom units, but I have converted mine to a one bedroom to have a very open floor plan (I do not believe that 700 square feet accomodates 2 bedrooms properly). As far as I know I am the only one in the building doing that. It's still expensive at 700 square feet, but I had already bought and sold a previous place so I had savings from that. I do consider myself to be very lucky, but I've worked hard and done alot of financial planning to make things work!

As for previous comments about restaurants or "life" in general up at yonge and eg vs merton, to me this is really a complete moot point. Like I said it takes me about 7 min or so to walk from merton to eglinton - I really don't consider this to be a whole other neighbourhood or something. There are lots of nices places to dine right in the middle, neither directly at eglinton or directly at davisville so I consider it all to be part of my neighbourhood. The forever views south were a big draw to me and I like the belt line for jogging.

I completely agree with a previous poster that St. Clair to Rosedale is fabulous, but there isn't any new construction that I know of by yonge and I was looking to get into a project and have a chance to design from brand new. As far as I know the buildings in that area are generally a little older (which wasn't the appeal to me), and probably outside my target age range. Plus not to mention affordability which is a big deal!! So, for me this project still wins on all accounts.

Agreed, well ... if you go a little north on Yonge, there are some interesting places between here and Eglinton, and the new condo projects coming to the area will help.

I agree. With Allure condos going up and art shoppe condos in several years, I do think that the eg to davisville strip will continue to develop and become even more desirable as more people come in. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of commercial retail Allure has at ground level. I'm also thankful to be at the south end of the strip as it will be the quietest and no one will ever block my view.

I kind of agree with one of UD's points however - this part of Yonge street, and the area in general, is dreadfully dull and almost sterile.

I guess we can agree to disagree here...walking 4-5 min north to some great restaurants and 4-5 min south to vibrant st. clair seems like a pretty good compromise to me - it's not as if anyone will sit smack dab at yonge and merton and never move about the neighbourhood. And when I am indoors and looking at the colours changing of the scenery in front of me, the last thing I will be thinking is that it is sterile, just my personal opinion.

Might be quieter or "dull" as you put it to live right at merton, but I'll take it over the numerous gigantic towers going up at yonge and eg, the noise and crazy traffic. I guess it just depends what you prefer in terms of living style.

Having said that, I always kid around how Merton street should be dubbed retirement alley ;) ... its no different then a suburban street that is (actually Merton is much better with the trail just to the south).

You are probably kinda right on the "retirement alley" idea, but it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me - like I said earlier I consider this to really be a yonge street condo and I doubt I will spend a whole lot of time walking up and down Merton. That said, a co-worker of mine lives in one of the townhouses further down the street with his wife and it is quite lovely; I believe everyone in their complex is on the younger side. Same with the condos at mount pleasant. He's lived on Merton for 7 years or so (he's 36 now) and has never felt like he's living in a retirement area.

Personally an old victorian, of which a few remain, would be my pick up north a few blocks from Eglinton and in from Yonge a block or so. I used to live there, and still find it quiet, but close to the shops, restos, and many other options.

I agree that would be an ideal pick! It's not feasible/affordable for me at this stage, so for now condo life is where I'm putting my real estate dollars, but a house like that is a dream for the future.

It isn't 1350 square feet. The floorplans for floors 7 through 13 only were modified - the south east corner units there are 702 square feet. They are 2 bedroom units, but I have converted mine to a one bedroom to have a very open floor plan (I do not believe that 700 square feet accomodates 2 bedrooms properly). As far as I know I am the only one in the building doing that. It's still expensive at 700 square feet, but I had already bought and sold a previous place so I had savings from that. I do consider myself to be very lucky, but I've worked hard and done alot of financial planning to make things work!

As for previous comments about restaurants or "life" in general up at yonge and eg vs merton, to me this is really a complete moot point. Like I said it takes me about 7 min or so to walk from merton to eglinton - I really don't consider this to be a whole other neighbourhood or something. There are lots of nices places to dine right in the middle, neither directly at eglinton or directly at davisville so I consider it all to be part of my neighbourhood. The forever views south were a big draw to me and I like the belt line for jogging.

I completely agree with a previous poster that St. Clair to Rosedale is fabulous, but there isn't any new construction that I know of by yonge and I was looking to get into a project and have a chance to design from brand new. As far as I know the buildings in that area are generally a little older (which wasn't the appeal to me), and probably outside my target age range. Plus not to mention affordability which is a big deal!! So, for me this project still wins on all accounts.

Its a great area if you think its a great area ! That's all that matters. Again that's what makes Toronto great, the diversity.

I imagine even if this section of Yonge gets redeveloped with condos, it'll still remain relatively quiet and keep that charm to you, and dull for others.

St. Clair is great I agree, its not overly active so it meets that criteria, even better, St. Clair has some amazing architecture you won't find elsewhere in Toronto ! The problem isn't just that there isn't any new construction, if you're looking to buy, St. Clair is DAMN EXPENSIVE ! I mean a lot of this comes from the fact the units in the area are larger, but still, it seems quite a bit higher then Yonge and Eglinton.

In terms of an uptown retail and restaurants scene, I find Bayview between Davisville and Eglinton quite charming and underrated.

From a real estate perspective, Davisville is the most affordable neighborhood off the Yonge street line today. While I understand where people are coming from regarding Yonge & Davisville vs. Yonge & Eglinton vs. Mount Pleasant & Davisville vs. Bayview & Davisville, there's no denying that it is still a sought-after area. Further to the north is the more hustle & bustle Y&Eg, to the west is Chaplin Estates, to the east is Leaside and to the south is Deer Park. Each of those areas are unique in itself.

I had mentioned in the Life Condos at 68 Merton St thread that I popped into their office the other day, just out of curiosity. It's interesting to see the new developments in this Merton neighborhood. There is lots of potential, given the geographic location and proximity to all the other neighborhoods. With that, I can only imagine the neighborhood itself will develop and grow into its own.

St. Clair is great I agree, its not overly active so it meets that criteria, even better, St. Clair has some amazing architecture you won't find elsewhere in Toronto ! The problem isn't just that there isn't any new construction, if you're looking to buy, St. Clair is DAMN EXPENSIVE ! I mean a lot of this comes from the fact the units in the area are larger, but still, it seems quite a bit higher then Yonge and Eglinton.

Totally agree. Yonge/St. Clair is the best of both worlds. Beautiful homes, good buildings, excellent mix of retail on Yonge and of course subway access.
I was fortunate enough to buy an investment property up there a few years ago and I couldn't be happier with the rental demand and price appreciation to this point. To me, St. Clair west of Yonge is like our own mini Park Avenue. I'd take it over Yonge/Eglinton.

Kudos to those who bought in MYC. I think it's a good building in a good location, I was actually considering it myself for a while.

With that, I can only imagine the neighborhood itself will develop and grow into its own.

So true, and its come a long way tbh. I remember when it was all industrial along this stretch. I have vivid memories as a kid of the 100 ft tall cyclindrical stacks at Mt. Pleasant and Merton that used to be there back in the 80's. (was it a cement factory, or some sort of farming type property? Can't recall..)

So true, and its come a long way tbh. I remember when it was all industrial along this stretch. I have vivid memories as a kid of the 100 ft tall cyclindrical stacks at Mt. Pleasant and Merton that used to be there back in the 80's. (was it a cement factory, or some sort of farming type property? Can't recall..)

Dominion Coal.

I miss the area a great deal, Mount Pleasant in particular has two of the best restaurants in the city, in my opinion: Simple Bistro and Positano's. I found Mount Pleasant and Davisville to be the ideal location: halfway between the Bayview and Yonge strips, and halfway between Eglinton and St. Clair, all within walking distance (yet quieter due to the park across the street and proximity to the cemetery). Having said that, the area is very couples and family-oriented and somewhat sedate so if that's not your thing, then so be it. Gorgeous in the fall though. I also don't miss the rammed trains at Davisville every morning. In any case I think MYC is a fine investment, briefly thought about looking into this building years ago.

Last edited:
1342469442425_ORIGINAL.jpg

20111114-Dominion-coal-1980s-f0124_fl0003_id0025.jpg

Totally agree. Yonge/St. Clair is the best of both worlds. Beautiful homes, good buildings, excellent mix of retail on Yonge and of course subway access.
I was fortunate enough to buy an investment property up there a few years ago and I couldn't be happier with the rental demand and price appreciation to this point. To me, St. Clair west of Yonge is like our own mini Park Avenue. I'd take it over Yonge/Eglinton.

Kudos to those who bought in MYC. I think it's a good building in a good location, I was actually considering it myself for a while.

The sad part if I find many folks have no clue what exists at Yonge and St. Clair ... there are so few photos of the area, but it really is one of the most beautiful streets in Toronto ! Not so much from a retail standpoint, but more so the built form / architecture.

I love the dark building office building conversion, can't recall the name. Also there is a really interesting Church on the street just to the north of St. Clair.

My comments are not "silly" nor provocative. They are my 100% honest assessment of the aesthetics of a neighbourhood/building/whatever. They are idealized as in "If I had x dollars to spend, this is where I'd move."

I'd rather live on Mount Pleasant or on the Mount Pleasant end of Merton.

As for "quiet" condo projects you could've moved to? Well Volta Lofts on Annette is about ideal--boutique building, great area. Right on a subway line? Richard Witt's upcoming 838 Broadview (Danforth) is within 5 minutes' walk of a subway station.

Gotta be on the Yonge line but don't like being around a super dense strip? Yonge & St Clair to Rosedale strip is fantastic. I would rent though.

You do realize that not everyone shares the exact same ideals as you, right? There's a difference between expressing your opinion of a particular location and outright slandering someone's choice of residence.

That said, I have no issues with taking a strong stance when it comes to any given design or builder (of which we often share a similar opinion).

Back