Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

It's too bad the City scaled back with the project and is now going for the "broken" transitway scheme with the two sections serving the terminal via Rathburn (with those ugly signalized intersections) instead of through tunnels as par the original plan.

It's too bad the City scaled back with the project and is now going for the "broken" transitway scheme with the two sections serving the terminal via Rathburn (with those ugly signalized intersections) instead of through tunnels as par the original plan.

In the first place, this was not a city project, since the ridership number for MT using the ROW is small in comparison to GO Transit numbers. This has always been a GO thing with GO trying to get the City to build it for them.

If the true ROW was built based on 2004 dollars since my EA report is based on it, the full cost was $600 million. Since the EA for haft of it based on similar layout, that cost was $270m, while my cost were $380 million. Once the the EA was approved and full design started, that $270m went out the window very quickly to the point the City was short $57m on revised plans. The tunnel under Hurontario and the bus terminal was over $20m in cost to the point the bottom level of the current terminal already design and built for the BRT would not work. Both were scrap to what there now.

Sq One kill the ROW on Rathburn and shows what kind of backbone the City has for transit.

The plan is still in place to built the ROW on the north side of 403 at some future dead time zone to Mavis, with no stations there like the current plan.

I am still looking forward to see the final cost once this thing is built to say I told you so. The cost was too low compare what it should have been to built this GO Thing.

The city cheap out in the 90's for building the current terminal that was underside from the word go. The terminal was built for 25,000 max that see over 45,000 today and will never handle 125,000 down the road.

Here are a few pics of the transitway construction. Sorry for the poor quality.

The Sherwoodtowne bridge:

Snapshot000001.jpg

Central Parkway station:

Snapshot000003.jpg

Snapshot000004.jpg

Snapshot000005.jpg

Attachments

• Snapshot000001.jpg
    Snapshot000001.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 710
  • Snapshot000003.jpg
    Snapshot000003.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 686
  • Snapshot000004.jpg
    Snapshot000004.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 666
  • Snapshot000005.jpg
    Snapshot000005.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 679
Sorry for the poor quality.

This is a pet peeve of mine on this forum! There is absolutely no need to ever apologize for the quality of photos!
Photos are photos, and the first photos posted in a thread after months of inactivity are excellent photos regardless of anything else!

I think the Transitway is an excellent idea and one Toronto should emulate alongside it's freeways, Hydro, and rail corridors.

Did a photo shoot Monday and a lot of work still to be done before Oct.

None of the 4 stations are the same to the point neither are the platforms at the same station. Central Parkway surprised me, as they are only doing the trim work now including the glazing, considering the station was ready for them last fall. Elevators are in place and don't think they are working yet.

The eastbound bridge from the 403 ramp is rusting all ready with cracks in the ceiling. Pass this info onto the city. The bridge is a MTO one based on what I was told today.

Found out today that the transit way will only be open between Rathburn and Dixie Rd, not Fieldgate, since the bridge will not be finish until December or Jan. Even then going to Fieldgate maybe out of the question then.

Since there is a fix date for turnover to the City, the contractor will have to pay for any delays beyond the fix date.

Dufferin Construction is wasting no time on their contract for Phase II to the point the new Fieldgate bridge underpass has been built. Work is underway for building the Tahoe Station without the underpass bridge built yet.

Eglinton is on detour so the first haft of the underpass bridge can be built and expect to see that done before December.

Phase III is to be tender in August.

GO has yet to start any work on their 3 stations including Renthford.

Kipling is still schedule for 2017 at this time. Lots of legal issues to be worked out yet.

Will post some photos once I get them loaded up on Flickr, since Flickr has change their system 100% and sucking on the Erindale station photos at this time.

Nice pics, thanks! I'm assuming all full BRT stations are being built with 4 lanes inside the station area like Ottawa's Transitway? I don't know if it's planned or not, but I could see a Square One to Kipling express bus, especially during peak, being quite a big draw. The 4 lane stations would definitely come in handy for something like that.

And I agree with you that they messed up the area in and around Sq 1. If the BRT does what it's supposed to do, they're going to be facing the same problem that Ottawa is facing now: a choke point where the busiest part of the line is also the part with the lowest theoretical capacity. I can see them opting for an upgrade in and around Sq 1 5-10 years after opening, because it's going to be a mess.

Drum, thanks for the great pictures... I always enjoy stopping by to see what you post in the transportation section of the forum.

Also, does anyone have any information on the Square One GO station building, or the city centre transit terminal? I'm very interested in what the plan for those structures is. Are they going to keep that grossly undersized current building and refurbish it, or are they starting from scratch (wishful thinking)? Will the GO building be a part of the same complex, or still remain separate? If it's separate, I hope they at least put them next to each other (or somehow connect them), as opposed to being across the street from each other.

Drum, thanks for the great pictures... I always enjoy stopping by to see what you post in the transportation section of the forum.

Also, does anyone have any information on the Square One GO station building, or the city centre transit terminal? I'm very interested in what the plan for those structures is. Are they going to keep that grossly undersized current building and refurbish it, or are they starting from scratch (wishful thinking)? Will the GO building be a part of the same complex, or still remain separate? If it's separate, I hope they at least put them next to each other (or somehow connect them), as opposed to being across the street from each other.

Both MT and Metrolinx are not on the same page and the terminal is being look at in isolation.

Both MT and GO need to be in the same complex and able to handle 125,000 riders daily. I have being saying this since 2004.

The terminal must be built not for the current system, but the Hurontario LRT, Eglinton LRT, Bloor Subway, BRT and the REX Line. The REX line must be able to handle double deck eMU's that would branch off the Milton Line at Cooksville and rejoin the line at 403. The REX idea is not my idea and was sold on it after reviewing it, since I was against the idea in the first place. The REX has to be underground like the BD line.

The city sees the current terminal having value with no thought to what it does for operation let alone the riders. It is in the wrong location since first plan with a lower level for the BRT. Since the city didn't have the $20 million for the tunnel there and another $10 million under Hurontario St, we are getting a 3rd rated BRT in the city core.

THE BRT stations are four lanes to allow bypassing. The transit way can be converted to LRT at some future date with buses still using it also. You can have bypass tracks at the stations as well.

I am expecting a nightmare at Kipling on day one based on what is taking place now with Hydro One. Not only will this station handle GO and MT, but now BT and YRT. 14 bays are not enough and only look at the mess TTC has with their under size terminal. Everyone needs to move to Cloverdale along with the extension of the BD line.

I see 6 of the current MT lines being remove from the terminal once the Hurontario LRT is built.

Everyone got to bit the bullet and build the $50-$75 Million terminal. Got to get Oxford to give up the plaza land for the new terminal.

I'm unfamiliar with the REX plan, but everything else you're saying makes sense to me. Unfortunately, I have no faith that they will do anything resembling that, especially after they cut down the plans for the BRT.

I don't see many politicians pushing to get transit 'right' and worse still, it's the ever-present problem of everyone wanting nice things, but no one wanting to pay for it.

THE BRT stations are four lanes to allow bypassing. The transit way can be converted to LRT at some future date with buses still using it also. You can have bypass tracks at the stations as well.

That's exactly what I was hoping for, thanks for confirming!

I'm unfamiliar with the REX plan, but everything else you're saying makes sense to me. Unfortunately, I have no faith that they will do anything resembling that, especially after they cut down the plans for the BRT.

I don't see many politicians pushing to get transit 'right' and worse still, it's the ever-present problem of everyone wanting nice things, but no one wanting to pay for it.

Not exclusively/originally my idea, but I have been one of the people on here pushing for REX to be one of the top transit priorities, since on a passengers per dollar per km basis, it probably has the highest return of any project in the Big Move (with really only the DRL giving it a run for it's money). Here's my GO REX map:

GO REX_v3 2.jpg

EDIT: This map really only shows the 1st couple phases of GO REX, but eventually the Milton line would be upgraded to REX standards with either a spur or a diversion to Square One (really a toss-up which one it is, both have merits and drawbacks). REX standard is electrified GO trains running at least every 15 minutes outside of peak.

Attachments

• GO REX_v3 2.jpg
    GO REX_v3 2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:

Back