Toronto Mirvish Village (Honest Ed's Redevelopment) | 85.04m | 26s | Westbank | Henriquez Partners

Good God, that is booooooooooooooooooooooooooonkers. Last time I rented was 2020 (in a building completed in 2016) and we were paying $1990 for an 800sf 2 bed in Seaton Village. We had finished ceilings and a regular-sized appliances too. Oh, what luxury!

Thank goodness you married rich; right PE? LOL 'ducks'.

There was no such perception; we all have subjective preferences. This isn't to my taste either............though I think you reaction might be a bit more visceral than my own.

I might be ok w/it, w/the right ceiling height, and the right colour scheme. But this, is not that.

I would imagine not. As in, drop ceilings are not likely permitted.

I might draw the opposite assumption.

Given what rent is sucking up, what money is left?
That doesn't make a "Queen" of anything. It looks shite, and I don't think that's an unreasonable assessment. And if I could afford that rent and still able to do something about but the landlord won't let me, they know where they can stuff those dangling pipes, I'll take my money elsewhere. Thnkx!

...it's also okay to be succinct at times. It states where the person clearly stands on something. And we can reason together from there. <3

I'll never understand the subsection of the market who are completely willing to rent/buy units with unfinished ceilings (and yes there are some people who actually dont mind it to which I find crazy).

As for the rental rates, it's completely nuts.
Definitely a question of taste. I quite like concrete ceilings where it suits the build. I find them warm and interesting.

I’d actually much prefer an exposed ceiling to million bulkheads and drop downs that take up visual space.

Here, they didn’t use the type of ductwork or piping that traditionally goes with a concrete ceiling and don’t seem to have made any effort to keep it organized.

Definitely a question of taste. I quite like concrete ceilings where it suits the build. I find them warm and interesting.

I’d actually much prefer an exposed ceiling to million bulkheads and drop downs that take up visual space.

Here, they didn’t use the type of ductwork or piping that traditionally goes with a concrete ceiling and don’t seem to have made any effort to keep it organized.
To each their own, for me unless the exposed concrete ceilings were a loft style building with higher ceilings, i'd have absolutely no interest in even touching it. It definitely looks cringe in these units from what we're seeing.

But on the bright side at least the new residents will have a bit less drywall dust to breathe in for a bit when they move in, so that's a positive?....

There are lots of condos in the city that have exposed concrete ceilings. I actually like them if they are done right, but look absolutely horrible if improperly finished. I live in a soft loft and the concrete ceilings complete the modern industrial aesthetics. I had to brush on a layer of tinted sealer to both prevent the concrete surface from chalking and to subtly even out the variations of the tone of the concrete pour. I’m really happy with it. It makes the interior look more interesting rather than seeing a plain white drywall box.
I could see how people can really dislike this exposed concrete finish after seeing a notoriously disastrous project like Westside on Sudbury (Urbancorp project) where there was an overuse of exposed concrete walls, ceilings and even floors, and the quality of the concrete and the interiors were akin to a bomb shelter (rough uneven surfaces, potholes & air holes, rust staining, construction spray paint markings, etc.).

I rather take a properly done concrete ceiling over drywall with randomly shaped or levelled bulkheads, or even worse, POPCORN CEILINGS! Yes, some builders still do popcorn ceilings which is expensive and a pain to have removed.

The rent is high but not outrageous. This is a luxury and well designed development with quality amenities and full service property management in an excellent area, steps to subway. It’s pretty much in line with other newer rental developments in downtown.

There are lots of condos in the city that have exposed concrete ceilings. I actually like them if they are done right, but look absolutely horrible if improperly finished. I live in a soft loft and the concrete ceilings complete the modern industrial aesthetics. I had to brush on a layer of tinted sealer to both prevent the concrete surface from chalking and to subtly even out the variations of the tone of the concrete pour. I’m really happy with it. It makes the interior look more interesting rather than seeing a plain white drywall box.
I could see how people can really dislike this exposed concrete finish after seeing a notoriously disastrous project like Westside on Sudbury (Urbancorp project) where there was an overuse of exposed concrete walls, ceilings and even floors, and the quality of the concrete and the interiors were akin to a bomb shelter (rough uneven surfaces, potholes & air holes, rust staining, construction spray paint markings, etc.).

I rather take a properly done concrete ceiling over drywall with randomly shaped or levelled bulkheads, or even worse, POPCORN CEILINGS! Yes, some builders still do popcorn ceilings which is expensive and a pain to have removed.

The rent is high but not outrageous. This is a luxury and well designed development with quality amenities and full service property management in an excellent area, steps to subway. It’s pretty much in line with other newer rental developments in downtown.
Spackle is cheaper for the builder than smooth finish. Pain in the ass to sand off and finish properly though.

Renting here was going to be one of our Plan B options before the laneway house opportunity came along, but I think I'd be priced out looking for a space big enough for a family with a kid.

Popcorn is probably worse than concrete. It's not sealed plaster. Spray it with water and it scrapes off easy. The very hard part is getting seamless drywall joints on the ceiling.

I'm seldom seen orange peel walls in Canada. I dislike those more than popcorn ceilings. They apply quickly and it doesn't take much experience.

$5,000 a month supports a mortgage of about $800,000 depending on your assumptions. $3800 of that is interest, then you've got maintenance (fees or actual costs) on top of that. What kind of place can you buy that gets you into a location like this with $800K plus any downpayment you've saved?

Good God, that is booooooooooooooooooooooooooonkers. Last time I rented was 2020 (in a building completed in 2016) and we were paying $1990 for an 800sf 2 bed in Seaton Village. We had finished ceilings and a regular-sized appliances too. Oh, what luxury!
Last time I rented was in 2014 for a 700 sq ft penthouse unit in CityPlace for $1,600. The rent was the same since 2010. Although it sounded like a good deal, I had an absent landlord (he lived in New Jersey, never met him) and the washer/dryer combo kept breaking down that towards the end I had to do the laundry in the building’s laundry room.

Even back then I knew someone who was renting a smaller unit at Yonge & Sheppard for the same amount. And now, buildings like The Selby are charging upwards of $3.5k for probably less than 700 sq ft …

What I don't understand is $5000 a month for two bedrooms. Who is paying that? If you can afford $5000 a month, why aren't you buying a place?
It especially doesn't make sense in the current rental market, which is trending down; 700sqf 2bd/2bth units in new builds downtown are renting for $2700, 800 sqf in medium-luxury buildings for around $3,000. I get that the 2 bedroom units are like 1,200 sqf, but $5,000+/mo? Come on. You'd have to be a sucker or the child of an oligarch for whom money means nothing (and there are a lot of those people in Toronto, so they might actually rent these out).

It makes way more sense to rent than buy right now if you want to live downtown. And no, you don't have to pay $5,000 a month.

Back