Toronto Minto Westside | 68.88m | 20s | Minto Group | Wallman Architects

I purposely did not put the word common in front of amenity when I suggested that a builder might think about leaving a space in a new development that would be appropriate for a climbing gym. An amenity can be something privately owned and run...

There will be an increasing number buildings where the back side of their lower floors will face spots where not that much sunlight shines. It can be hard to sell suites that do not have a view, so it is conceivable that one way of leasing out such space would be to leave an appropriately high multi-level studio space for a climbing gym. It's gotta be able to work somewhere in town.

Unconfirmed: four buildings, with the tallest going to 25 floors (corner of Bathurst and Front). The shortest would be around 16 storeys (across from Thompson hotel). Some sort of stair-accessible plaza would be built on top of a retail space.

Unconfirmed: four buildings, with the tallest going to 25 floors (corner of Bathurst and Front). The shortest would be around 16 storeys (across from Thompson hotel). Some sort of stair-accessible plaza would be built on top of a retail space.

Right on..i guess i wasnt far off.:)

As I've pointed out to you on many occasions it has nothing to do with what you see across the rail corridor, it has to do with the King-Spadina Secondary Plan. The height limits will largely be set by that plan and by what already is here - such as Thompson and Reve. It doesn't matter what you prefer to see or what is across the tracks.

"Iconic" may be pushing it. But it's a highly visible location, and might be considered a "gateway" from the rail lands to the south, leading into the older city district to the north.

Yeah i know, but according to you nothing over 16 floors gets built in this sacred area.

And who says that won't continue? It will be interesting to see what ends up getting approved. I would love to see a site plan and some sort of massing diagram.

I agree with OW, definitely not an iconic location by any stretch. "Gateway" location is how I would describe it also.

NEWSFLASH
This development is going to be marketed as all Minto. Freed is going to be way in the background on this one. That sorta tells me that nothing special is coming architecturally as Freed will not want to be idenitified with something plain.
S'Bus

I was at the community meeting for this project, and it was not a pretty sight. The architect presenting was Rudy Wallman.

The proposal, noted as a joint development between Minto and Freed, is in its early design stage. The presentation indicated four towers to be built on top of a massive 105,000 square foot podium area. The tallest of the towers is to be 30 floors in height (corner of Bathurst and Front), followed by a 25 floor building facing onto Front (beside Reve), and two more towers of 18 and 16 storeys on Niagra. No actual height measurements were provided.

Keep in mind that the existing height limit for the area is generally nine floors, or approximately 30 metres. Structures facing onto Bathurst can go a little higher due to the width of that street. Based on that practice, the tallest in the vicinity will be the Bathurst building of 650 King Street (16 floors).

The proposal, as presented, was incredibly bland and architecturally uninspiring. It was also totally out of scale with the neighbourhood.

A small linear park between Front and Niagra that opens up onto Victoria Memorial Park was included in the proposal. The trouble is that it would sit right below those big blank windowless walls on the west side of Reve.

The proposal was universally panned by a standing-room only crowd. Essentially, the presenters were told to go away and try again.

All that being said, demolition of some of the existing buildings on the proposal site could be under way by the summer.

Last edited:
No, I do not think so. What's more worrisome is actually not the 30-storey building, but the two along Niagara. The heights should match 20 Niagara and the other condo (forgot the name) on the north side of Niagara.

I wish I had attended the meeting but it wasn't in my calendar so I totally forgot about it. Thanks for the updates to those who made it.

Right on, 30 floors and a nice sized podium for that corner is about right considering whats going down across the street.:)

Do you mean right across Bathurst? Or do you mean across Niagra? Do you even know the area? Across Front street are railway tracks.

I'm thinking you don't know the area at all - based on your posts.

Do you mean right across Bathurst? Or do you mean across Niagra? Do you even know the area? Across Front street are railway tracks.

I'm thinking you don't know the area at all - based on your posts.

Hey, i know the area very well as i stated before..im a big customer of the Sherwin Williams paint store, and a while back probably before your time i was a customer of a Volvo used parts depot that existed around the corner on Front street, oh yeah went to the nearby St.Marys school and after school would go pigeon hunting under the Bathurst truss bridge...Yeah i said down across the street not up, which means south not north, and yes across the tracks, you make it sound like its miles away... oh yeah by the way learn how to spell Niagara

Right on, 30 floors and a nice sized podium for that corner is about right considering whats going down across the street.:)

they cannot take only in consideration whats going down across the street, they also need to consider whats going on the other side Niagara and Bathurst. 30 floors here is definitely absurd, I would say something between 16-18 max should be right. The city will never approve 30 floors for that location

Back