Toronto Minto Westside | 68.88m | 20s | Minto Group | Wallman Architects

Either way, good riddance! I've always wanted to see Bathurst--from at least Front to Bloor--become as dense and urban as Spadina. Dufferin, you're next! c.2030!

Maybe by 2200, but not before 2100

Bathurst Street, south of Bloor, is one of the ugliest streets in the city. The houses there are in such bad shape and the density is too low for a downtown hood. I'd love to see them all torn down and have Bathurst lined with all midrises, containing retail at street level. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. That land is to valuble and the location too good to waste.

Bathurst Street, south of Bloor, is one of the ugliest streets in the city. The houses there are in such bad shape and the density is too low for a downtown hood. I'd love to see them all torn down and have Bathurst lined with all midrises, containing retail at street level. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. That land is to valuble and the location too good to waste.

I've seen this discussed elsewhere in the forum (probably Mustafa's then and now images): Bathhurst and Dufferin were widened and all the landscaping was shorn away, leaving homes pressed up against the street. Add information if I'm wrong, but it looks like the properties are quite shallow between Bathhurst and the rear laneways and adjoining properties, probably inhibiting develoment. With increased vertical density in the code and point towers standing-on-nothing (eg: L tower), perhaps we'll see more movement in the coming years.

Pic taken July 27, 2011

Demo started on property fronting Niagara St.

4WeFN.jpg

To be fair, Bathurst isn't terrible south of Queen.

So are all the buildings gone yet? I want to see that sad picture of a completely empty North East corner. :(

Unfortunately, there are no city policies that point in that direction for Bathurst.

In the Official Plan, much of it is designated "Neighbourhoods" (same as the low-rise areas east and west of it):

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/official_plan/pdf_chapter1-5/18_landuse_oct2009.pdf

Except for one small portion on the west side north of Bloor, and once you get to Glencairn, it's not even an "Avenue":

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/official_plan/pdf_chapter1-5/2_urb_str_oct2009.pdf

Similar status for Dufferin.....

Okay, we'll give you that. ;)

Screen%252520Shot%2525202011-07-28%252520at%2525209.41.58%252520PM.png

Red = Terrible
Blue = Not Terrible

Hmm...I think the area between St. Clair and Lawrence isn't terrible. Its got a ravine, parks, expensive houses, and older (70's) density between Eglinton and Lawrence, its not what I would call horrible, and I enjoy walking around there quite a bit. Now Weston, Duffernin, or Islington, or Jane, those are painful, but Bathurst? No I think there are much worse roads in Toronto.

I agree. I work in the area and it's really run down and depressing. Lots of homeless and people with addiction and mental problems routinely patrol the streets and yes, lots of prostitution.

Back