Toronto Minto Midtown | 160.01m | 52s | Minto Group | Zeidler

The excavation was complicated and delayed due to a large underground watercourse.

They had pumps every ten or twenty feet around the entire site pumping water.

I always wonder what that does to the local groundwater situation. Will dried-out ground downhill from the site mean that buildings will be sinking in? Will Mud Creek turn into Mud Gulch? Do they end up creating some kind of passage for the watercourse around what gets beefed up from a mere foundation to full fledged caisson?

Re: Quantum I & II [Minto Midtown} (UT)

DaninToronto: The roundup in the Star's Sat. Condo section in late May stated that the north tower was 40% sold and the south tower was "over 80%" sold. As has been mentioned here before, these figures are sometimes out of date.

Interchange,

I don't know all the details (you'd have to ask some of the engineers subcontracted by Minto), but I understand that within the foundation there are sections which are permiable, and will allow the passage/storage of water. There are also pumps that will remain in sections beneath the garage to ensure that seepage will not occur into the structure or weaken the structure. With any development of this scale that impacts water, a detailed water management plan must be established and water management is an ongoing (an very expensive) issue both during construction and throughout the lifetime of the building.

Thanks Observer Walt

A few pics I took on Friday night:

DSCN1001.jpg

DSCN1002.jpg

DSCN1003.jpg

DSCN1004.jpg

DSCN1005.jpg

First bit of cladding is now on the north side of the south tower. It appears to be similar to college park. Aluminum and glass. I couldnt really tell what colour the glass was but it appeared to be colourless or maybe a slight brownish green tint.

The latest rendering didn't seem to hide that it wasn't going to be blue glass, but the way this building has been hyped, I would expect it to be high quality, although I wouldn't be surprised if its not.

I imagine soon as the first pictures are taken of the glass it will be deemed a cheapout. It will take a few floors to get a clear impression of how the glass will look. Despite what any naysayers may say the materials in this tower will be top notch. The base is to be clad in limstone - considering the current surroundings this will cetainly elevate the area.

Even more pics!

Some more pics taken today:

First, the cladding on the south side (which is largly hidden and facing the wall of the neighbouring building). While this stuff is clearly concrete cladding (panels...which really do not look that bad), I suspect, that if they are going to use limestone or some other decent stone, that they are saving the good stuff for the front and using the cheaper concrete cladding on the hidden parts.

IMG_50111.jpg

IMG_49941.jpg

IMG_49921.jpg

IMG_49901.jpg

Here are some pictures of the front (west facade). Note the very large ground level retail heights (hey Cityplace!!! This is how you do ground level retail and a podium!)

IMG_50091.jpg

IMG_50071.jpg

IMG_50061.jpg

(Northern building at floor 1)
IMG_50051.jpg

IMG_50021.jpg

IMG_50001.jpg

IMG_49981.jpg

IMG_49951.jpg

Here are some pictures of the back (east facade) and the first installation of the windows and cladding.

IMG_50211.jpg

IMG_50201.jpg

IMG_50191.jpg

IMG_50171.jpg

IMG_50161.jpg

IMG_50151.jpg

Re: Even more pics!

Very Thorough update. Not sure about the glass yet. I will wait till there is more up before commenting on it.

Concrete isn't always bad... this one looks decent.

I don't need to wait for more curtain wall... these are going to be very classy buildings, particularly with street level limestone thrown in.

Minto Midtown: Construction site sink hole

Link to article

Got that sinking feeling
Hole swallows garbage truck near Yonge/Eglinton
By Toronto Sun Online

A garbage truck remains in a sinkhole near Yonge St. and Eglinton Ave. Friday morning.
Yonge and Eglinton area residents awoke to a smelly surprise today after a garbage truck fell into a two-metre-deep sinkhole.

The truck fell into the hole, located in a laneway on the perimeter of a condominium construction site, at about 4 a.m. There were no injuries.

The cause has yet to be determined.

At midday, city officials were conducting tests to determine soil stability in the laneway, just east of Yonge St. and south of Eglinton Ave.

No estimate was available for when the truck could be removed.
--------------------------------
Is this the Minto project?

Back