Toronto Merlin Residences | 28.6m | 9s | Melillo Architects

Marcanadian

Member Bio
Reaction score
2950 LAKE SHORE BLVD W
Ward 03 - Etob. York District

Proposed 8 to 9 storey mixed use rental apartment building with total GFA of 8,683 square metres, of this, 485.0 square metres will be commercial GFA. 95 dwelling units are proposed.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=4561959

Interesting, just a few weeks ago a sign went up for leasing some commercial and office space over here. In any case i'm looking forward to this proposal, this stretch of Lake Shore definitely needs some revitalization.

Random tidbit of Toronto oddity, that BiWay is pretty much the last one remaining from the original days. Good to see New Toronto getting more development though.

Not terrible, but not amazing either. I definitely prefer this to a spandrel-laced, grey-black glassed development, so at least it brings some much needed color. However, there's something just completely off about those balconies. That and the fact that the street level looks like it's just walled off.

Not terrible, but not amazing either. I definitely prefer this to a spandrel-laced, grey-black glassed development, so at least it brings some much needed color. However, there's something just completely off about those balconies. That and the fact that the street level looks like it's just walled off.

interesting though they have 1 unit for retail in the bottom. kind of large sized, kind of interested to see what they'd put in there. (about 5000 sqf)

also from the plan docs it says it's 48m which is basically twice the height of the current building

But I'm not sure if that's including the underground parking or not.

The proposal is a big improvement on what is there considering all commercial have abandoned it and Biway is the only thing functional in it... Area desperately needs rejuvenating

That's honestly a lot more appealing even though it appears a bit cheaper

but judging by the city of toronto preliminary report, that's possibly the current iteration

while the size isn't dramatically changed, it does have a continuous building front on lake shore and the dwellings have been reduced from 95 to 30 so it seems like it addressed 2 issues from the report

Also possibly reduced by 1 storey to fit the 45⁰ angular plane to the apartments behind it? Seems like all the major issues outside of being over 4 storeys is fixed.

Last edited:
If this is the current iteration, i'd rather them just replace those white balcony panels with glass because if not this building will end up looking like this just down the road:

Also it's cute that they include a Starbucks in their rendering, even though there is one literally 200 metres down the street. This is not the downtown core where you can support 10 of them within a square km.

city are trying to buy the land and make a homeless shelter

the nimby's in the area are going nutsss

Well I mean, let's build one by John Tory's condo around Bay and Bloor and see how well that will go over.

The problem I have with all this is that the city is not serious about solving the affordable housing issue. If they were, we would have less of a need to rely on shelters like this. The city (for whatever delusional reason) is intent on under-developing city owned properties and insist on the bare-minimum of affordable housing in mixed-income housing developments.

Personally, I live close to the area and i'm not ecstatic on it simply for the reason that the city loves to seemingly "dump" these shelters in areas where they think no one will make a stink over it, and in areas that already have large concentrations of pure government subsidized housing. The way to have a successful community is through having a mix of various demographics and income groups in an area. The entire north side of Lake Shore from 10th street to 5th street is filled with subsidized housing and is known to be a problematic area. The neighborhood had massive problems in the past with prostitution and drugs back in the early to late 2000's, and the BIA has finally found recent success in forcing the city to help clean up the area. That's why people were very receptive in having the Toronto Police College built in the area, because prior to that 22 Division tried various unsuccessful methods in cleaning up the neighborhood.

I suspect that members of the community are worried that their decades long fight in cleaning up the area are going in vain. If this proposal happened further down west Lake Shore i'd have much less of a problem with it.

@Amare

Heard back from Mark Grimes

apparently it's not going to be 1000 beds but maybe 100...

the thought is it could be a womens shelter (apparently to further compliment jean tweed?)

Back